Why are patches missing on my Proteus 2?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Why are patches missing on my Proteus 2?

Postby raycastile » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:02 am

I have another question about the Proteus 2. On my unit, patches 64-127 are silent. There are no patch names on those numbers, just the word "--DEFAULT--." I've had this box since the 1990s, and it was like that then. I just assumed it was supposed to be that way, and those were user-programmable spaces where you could store your edited sounds.

I haven't used the module in years. I am now putting my synth studio back together after many years of neglect. I was researching the Pro2 online and discovered it has a famous patch, 125 Whistlin' Joe, used in The X-Files. But on mine, that patch does not exist. It just says "DEFAULT" and is silent. So that's how I finally realized something was wrong.

I can copy another patch to one of those default spaces and the copied patch shows up under its correct name and plays normally I did an initialization on the unit a couple times and ran its internal diagnostic tests, which all "passed." None of this restored the silent default patches.

Is there somewhere online where I can get those missing patches as sysex data and restore them? Why would they be missing in the first place? Did an earlier initialization in the 1990s erase them?

If nothing else, it would be nice to have the famous X-Files patch. I would recreate it manually if someone gave me the parameters. (like an old fashioned patch sheet) Thank you for any enlightenment you can give me.
raycastile

Re: Why are patches missing on my Proteus 2?

Postby madtheory » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:41 am

Battery for memory backup has died. Factory sysex, plus more, available here:
http://www.buczynski.com/Proteus/p2patch.html

FYI sysex is the MIDI version of a patch sheet :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby Bitexion » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:12 am

This happens when the patch backup battery dies. User patches are stored in RAM, and for RAM to keep its memory intact it needs powering while the synth is turned off. Patches you can't rewrite are stored in a ROM chip that doesn't need power to keep its data.

So they all have a battery that takes over when you turn off the synth, and naturally when this battery dies after 10-20 years, the user stored sounds vanish every time the synth is turned off. It can be prevented by never turning the synth off though. Not very power efficient :)

Better to get a replacement battery. PC's also have a backup battery to keep it's BIOS data like system date and time intact while the computer is off.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby raycastile » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:50 pm

Thank you very much! I will try replacing the battery. I searched online for instructions, but didn't see anything that was exactly what I needed. My big question is whether the battery is soldered. I don't know how to solder. Probably should learn if I'm going to be tinkering around inside of synths.
raycastile

Postby madtheory » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:55 pm

OK but don't learn on your Proteus :)

Thread about battery:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-25815.html
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.

Postby raycastile » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:15 am

Thank you for the guidance. To my surprise, I managed to replace the batter in my Proteus 2, solder it without problems, restore the original factory sounds, and so far it is playing just fine. I"m glad I didn't toss it on ebay.
raycastile

Postby madtheory » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:19 am

Result! Enjoy, great sounds :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby drumno5 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:22 am

I recently purchased an old used Proteus 2 Orchestral unit and have the exact same problem. I'd like to restore the factory 64-127 voices. I'm a complete novice to this sort of thing. Can you folks help?

I need to replace the battery, of course. Is the model/voltage, etc. indicated on the battery? Can you suggest a
manufacturer/model number/vendor?

I have saved the appropriate files from the Buczynski site to my laptop, but I don't know how to load them. Can
you give me step by step instructions?

Thanks to all in advance.
drumno5

Postby Virgule » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:37 am

Do you have a midi interface for using between the computer and the module? You'll need that and also a program to load the files and send them to the Proteus.

https://www.bome.com/products/sendsx
Virgule

Postby Sonus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:08 pm

PR2_ON, PR2_TO_P, PR2_MAP and PR2_USER converted to a single midi file PR2_FACTORY.
This bank will overwrite the current user patch locations 64 through 127!
Use your sequencer software to transmit this file:
http://ge.tt/7lnNjvf2
Sonus

Postby drumno5 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:49 am

We are, of course, long into the USB era, my old midi interface no longer equal to the task. A USB to midi cable is the way to go, yes?
Sequencer software? I have none, I use the unit mostly to play percussion sounds in real time (I do theater pit percussion stuff; the Proteus has wonderful tubular bell, gong, vibraphone sounds, stuff like that). Any kind of freeware/shareware that would suit my purpose out there?
drumno5

Postby Virgule » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:41 am

These midi/usb cables work fine and are very affordable.

Virgule

Postby abruzzi » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:38 am

just make sure that any usb/midi interface you buy supports SYSEX. A lot of the cheap ones don't, and if your whole issue is dumping patches back to the proteus, you will need it to work with SYSEX.
abruzzi

Postby drumno5 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:09 pm

How to confirm that a cable is sysex compatible? An additional concern I'm coming across is the issue of compatibility with windows 10. Anyone have any experience in that regard?

thanks again to all for sharing your thoughts.
drumno5

Postby abruzzi » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:46 pm

drumno5 wrote:How to confirm that a cable is sysex compatible? An additional concern I'm coming across is the issue of compatibility with windows 10. Anyone have any experience in that regard?

thanks again to all for sharing your thoughts.

I don't know exactly, but I'd avoid $5 Chinese adapters that have a brand name you're never heard of. Something like a Yamaha UX16 or a M-Audio Uno. They're going to be more expensive ($30-$40) but are more likely to work. Some of the cheap ones may be fine, but I've heard many horror stories that ended with, "I bought a better cable, and now everything works fine.)
abruzzi

Next

Return to General Synthesizers