Novation Supernova 2 & Ableton Live as midi keyboard

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Novation Supernova 2 & Ableton Live as midi keyboard

Postby canon12345 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:31 pm

Hello people, sorry i'm completely out of the loop these days with music tech but I'm trying to use my old Novation Supernova 2 keyboard to play the Ableton live 8 instruments. So using it as a midi keyboard controller. I have bought a Roland UM-ONE MK2 midi cable/interface to connect my Novation Supernova 2 to my Macbook air, which I'm running Ableton live with (no lights light up on this interface when I plug it into Synth midi in & out). When I go to preferences/midi sync on Ableton and try to set-up there are no midi ports to select. I understand that my synth is pretty old so will not come up as a controller surface that's already there but is there any way I can add the Supernova 2 manually? I've also searched online to see if there are any drivers I'm supposed to download for the Supernova 2 & I can't find anything?
Maybe I just need to buy an modern day midi keyboard? Any suggests would be a real help!
Thanks
Huw
canon12345

Re: Novation Supernova 2 & Ableton Live as midi keyboard

Postby ninja6485 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:26 pm

If I understand correctly, your Roland midi interface is what you should be looking for as something that shows up in live. That's what's going to receive / transmit the midi to and from your nova. The age of the keyboard shouldn't matter in this case, unless the UM one works in a completely different way than your standard interface.

For example, when I'm using the maschine controller as a midi interface, I connect my jx-8p (for example) to maschine via midi, and maschine to the computer via usb. Then in my software, I look for maschine's midi out as a destination.

The fact that you don't see anything as a destination suggests a problem with the interface. Does it require anyou specific installation procedures, or drivers of some kind?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Install any drivers that Roland supplies for your interface.

Open Applications/Utilities/Audio/MIDI Setup on your MacBook and make sure the interface is shown there. If it's not, Live can't see it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby canon12345 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks for the help. Got it working.
canon12345

Return to General Synthesizers