Roland Integra-7 compared to the SC-55/88/880

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
RvdVeen

Roland Integra-7 compared to the SC-55/88/880

Post by RvdVeen » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:12 pm

Hello everyone!

I love the sounds from the SC-55/88/880 and i was wondering if the Integra-7 covers ALL of those sounds, or just parts of them. Would it be worth getting the Integra-7 and the SC-880 for example?

If anyone could clarify, please! :)

Best regards,

R.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Re: Roland Integra-7 compared to the SC-55/88/880

Post by blavatsky » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:19 pm

I don't know a whole lot about the SonicCell, but at a glance looks like a mostly XV/SRX expansion driven sound module - 128 megs total memory for samples.

The Integra 7 (a recent purchase) blows it away in all respects except polyphony which they share the same (128 voices). It has every single SRX expansion (load up to 4 at a time) plus a ton of built in XV/JV series type sounds.
The real kicker though is the SuperNatrual sounds (really good piano/strings/acoustic stuff) and V-Drum patches that blow away anything the SRX sets have to offer. I can't say it has every sound the SC has but I would think its a LOT of crossover.

Big downside to the Integra 7 - sounds are so fun to muck around with I haven't got any tracks done with it yet :!:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Have you asked over at Roland Clan Forums yet? I don't think there are many SC users here.

Here's a demo using the Integra GM sounds. Unlike the Sound Canvas boxes, the Integra does not support GS.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

RvdVeen

Post by RvdVeen » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Hello!

Thanks for the replies! I really hear alot of good things about the Integra-7 and that they indeed contain all SRX Expansions. I think i'll just go for it, and see what it has to offer! Can always keep my eyes out for the SC-880 if i feel like the Integra-7 doesnt have any 90's game sounds!

Thanks alot for helping me decide guys!

R.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:05 pm

Slightly different topic - but I'd be keen for anyone who migrated from JV2080+Cards or XV5080+Cards over to Integra7 to give their views on the Integra 7 w.r.t access and usage of cards

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:35 pm

So basically, you have 4 virtual slots to either load SRX cards (1 slot), SuperNatural Expansion (1 slot), or the updated GM sounds (all slots).

So up to 4 SRX cards at once...but if you want 1 sound from that card, you have to load the whole card. For me this is not an issue but for some it might be. Takes about 4-8 seconds per slot to load. You can change these anytime as well as set 'startup' cards that load automatically.

Keeping in mind - there are a TON of built in sounds already, ignoring the expansions - hundreds of SuperNatural sounds, thousands of SN Synth and maybe a thousand SRX/XV (they call them PCM) sounds/kits. The Axial patches from Roland add even more.

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:58 pm

there are good saying about that integra-7 and bad ones too, but You can hear about these only from their dissatisfied users who have already bought it. You cannot read about it from the shop describing, SoundOnSound and other magazine reviews. No.
There are serious stability issues, central CPU crashing which requires again power-off-power-on sequence, missing note events happen. Some users say "not good for live use. If you use it, you will be disappointed" due to the problems. Also problems with their software. Program fix after another fix what they call "update" seems like buggy as h**l. ;-) Also the another problem is there -- the editor software is for contemporary operating system, which all are very fast outdated, whatever it is.

philip

Post by philip » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:18 am

And don't forget it sounds nowhere near as good as the classic 880-88.