Behringer Deep Mind 12

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Re: Behringer Deep Mind 12

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Some more thoughts and opinions wrote by Martin Swan on Facebook:

" A few of you asked questions about the DeepMind12 and its features etc, and I tried to answer as much as I could. The thing is, as I'm not part of the design team, and I don't have access to either the manual or the specifications, I'm limited in what more I can tell you. I also have to be respectful of the NDA I signed and of the fact that I'm lucky enough to have been given a free synth, so don't want to say stuff that might spoil the teaser campaign.

So instead I thought it might help now to have a brief summary of what I've discovered (so this is more about my opinions as a synthhead, rather than specifics - these will come along in time, as will some videos). The emphasis here is that these are my opinions having had it now for just under a week.

1. It's basically been designed as an updated version of Juno 106, so a lot of the architecture is similar in design to that synth. It sounds similar, but it's NOT a clone. It has it's own sound, which lives somewhere between a Juno, a Korg Poly, a DSI poly and a Waldorf.

2. 12 note poly with 2 DCOs per voice, but as you can specify polyphony, you can have 6 note/4oscs, 4 note/6oscs, 3 note/8oscs, 2 note/12oscs, 1note/24oscs (!) This means it can make HUGE pads, and massive detuned basses and leads that are generally only achievable using software, or very expensive hardware. This is one of the BEST things about this synth, and gives it a unique flavour.

3. Build quality is very good. As good as the original Junos. Better than many synths these days, but perhaps not quite as good as synths that cost well over £/€/$2000. It's solid, ergonomically designed and stable, and I haven't found any bugs.

4. Once you play it for a few minutes you forget that there is a Behringer logo on it. It doesn't matter. Anyone that says they wouldn't play it because of that logo is just being dogmatic for the sake of it, and it's their loss.

5. It's incredibly easy to navigate and use, and you never have to make more than 2 button presses to tweak anything, so it's VERY immediate. Much more so than my DSI Pro 2 and my Waldorf XT, which are two of my go-to synths. I can't tell you enough just how well thought out this is in nearly every way I've used it.

6. It's not designed to be as complex as a modular, or as a Prophet12. Its strength is in its playability not its unbelievable array of options. Play it and program it. Don't fret about its lack of triangle wave or resonant HPF. The original Junos didn't have these and are still classics.

7. The effects section is very high quality, and very editable, and you can bypass them. The synth still sounds great without the effects, particularly when warmed up with oscillator detune and the parameter drift controls which make those DCOs sound like VCOs.

8. It's REALLY fun to play and it's very stimulating to use. I've programmed sounds on it I can't get on any of my other synths (and I have a LOT of synths... (https://www.facebook.com/vileelectro...3679556547658/) and I wrote 2 new songs on it in the space of about 4 hours of using it over the weekend. The definition of a good musical instrument is that it helps and inspires you to write song"

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Jabberwalky wrote: I wish Uli would have more tact, and do what DSI does...
No On/Off switch (MoPho & Tetr4) and a module too wide for racking (P-6 & OB-6)?!? Please...

Unless you're strickly talking about the keyboard, of course.
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:00 pm

HalloweenJack wrote:2. 12 note poly with 2 DCOs per voice, but as you can specify polyphony, you can have 6 note/4oscs, 4 note/6oscs, 3 note/8oscs, 2 note/12oscs, 1note/24oscs (!) This means it can make HUGE pads, and massive detuned basses and leads that are generally only achievable using software, or very expensive hardware. This is one of the BEST things about this synth, and gives it a unique flavour.
With so many oscillators at hand, I REALLY hope it has split/layer - I've not read, seen or heard anything about that being incorporated yet.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:55 pm

fh991586 wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote: I wish Uli would have more tact, and do what DSI does...
No On/Off switch (MoPho & Tetr4) and a module too wide for racking (P-6 & OB-6)?!? Please...

Unless you're strickly talking about the keyboard, of course.
Not talking about specs at all. Simply how it's being released.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:58 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding, then!
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:23 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Not talking about specs at all. Simply how it's being released.
I agree. I don't remember Dave Smith pulling this kind of PR trickery. Doesn't stop me drooling over his Prophet 6, or Prophet 12, or indeed anything else he will concoct in the future -- maybe that's because DSI make good synths?

HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:36 pm

New video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... nqiEj7StYI

mmmmhhh definitely the second DCO is only square even though with extensive PWM...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:35 am

I wonder if this is going to change people's opinion of Behringer? By the sound of things they're planning on setting up a synth division based around Midas engineers, if they keep the Midas build quality it might change the perception of the whole company.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:01 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I wonder if this is going to change people's opinion of Behringer? By the sound of things they're planning on setting up a synth division based around Midas engineers, if they keep the Midas build quality it might change the perception of the whole company.
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had a problem with Behringer. Their build quality has certainly improved now that they have their own plant. Midas have always been innovative and stylish (although on the expensive side).

From what I've seen and heard, I've been very impressed with DM12 so far.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:18 pm

It's official: US$ 999.99 recommended sales price.
Uli Behringer himself on Gearslutz wrote:I have now made the decision to offer the DeepMind12 at a recommended sales price of US$ 999.99 (I have a feeling your dealer might drop the 99 cents).
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:07 pm

I wish the old thread on this didn't get deleted so I could quote my prediction that it would be $1000 and also quote everyone who said I was crazy. :D

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:20 pm

Your prediction isn't why we said you're crazy, Stabbers. :)

I'm looking forward to trying this out when it finally comes to market. Not sure that I'll buy it, but I definitely will put it through its paces to see what it's like.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Square/pulse only on DCO2? WTF :help:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Post by Music Bird » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:18 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Square/pulse only on DCO2? WTF :help:
Ummmm, square suboscillator (if you pitch it down 1 or 2 octaves)...?
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:24 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Square/pulse only on DCO2? WTF :help:
I do agree with you, I am a little dissapointed by that, but anyway the price is interesting, I think that here in Europe could be 999,99 euros :lol:

Anyway I am not interested in the keyboard version, maybe the desktop if it'll be in the 700 euros range...if I have to add another synth with keyboard to my setup I think that I'd be more interested at the JDXA, here in Italy they are selling for 1150 euros on the used market, at that price they are appealing ;) , I know that Deep Mind and JDXA are totally different synths, but actually I have never been interested in the vintage analog sounds and the Deep Mind sounds so close to the Juno series from the (very little) that I have heard from the demos...let's hope in a deep review in a short time so that we can have a better idea...
Last edited by HalloweenJack on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.