Behringer Deep Mind 12

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Behringer Deep Mind 12

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:47 pm

I think I need one. Looking forward to the Nick Batt review (he's clearly been holding his tongue about it).

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:36 pm

I agree that at $1000 it's tempting...but if they plan to ship "by the end of the year" I can imagine pre-ordering and not getting it until next March :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:26 am

meatballfulton wrote:Square/pulse only on DCO2? WTF :help:
Not too worried about that... the Tone Mod slider seems to give plenty of waveshape variation.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:11 pm

Another vid posted by SonicState

At the posting itself there's already hater comments...sounds digital, too many menus, sequencer sucks, etc. :pissed:

What is with people, waiting for people complaining the Model D sounds too digital :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:35 am

HalloweenJack wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Square/pulse only on DCO2? WTF :help:
I do agree with you, I am a little dissapointed by that, but anyway the price is interesting, I think that here in Europe could be 999,99 euros :lol:

Anyway I am not interested in the keyboard version, maybe the desktop if it'll be in the 700 euros range...if I have to add another synth with keyboard to my setup I think that I'd be more interested at the JDXA, here in Italy they are selling for 1150 euros on the used market, at that price they are appealing ;) , I know that Deep Mind and JDXA are totally different synths, but actually I have never been interested in the vintage analog sounds and the Deep Mind sounds so close to the Juno series from the (very little) that I have heard from the demos...let's hope in a deep review in a short time so that we can have a better idea...
JD-XA, other than being only 4 voice analog, is much much better/more powerful than the deepmind 12. And can do everything from monster mono sounds 4 stacked synths, with multimbral sequencing and independent control of those 4 2 osc synths, to proper dual osc (with many wave shapes, proper sync, X-mod, Ring mod etc). The JD-XA is in a different league.

You can also get 'vintage' like tones from the XA's analog, but it's also got you covered for modern analog and even 'future' analog (or future everything with both engines invoked). Great mono synth (bass, leads), great poly, great fx machine, great vocoder, great pads, great interface, great nerve/control centre for MIDI / CV gear and extremly flexible and lots of hidden powerful "nice to have" tools under the hood once you get to know it (lacking in stuff like the Prophet 6/ob-6 and DM12). It's also very well built even for plastic, the controls feel great, very solid, nice throws on the sliders (not too short), proper controls for all envelopes (not flipping switches - thats annoying on DM12!). The analog section in the JD-XA is severely under-rated. It sounds as nice as many and nicer than many analogs I've owned, even when doing aggresive sounds it never sounds harsh. Just ignore ALL the presets, they aren't a good example of how it really sounds (for some reason Roland decided to make the presets sound like c**p...)

The DM12 isn't even as nice sounding as the Junos it's based on, in fact I think it sounds completely 'meh' from all I've heard. It looks like c**p too, it is comically shallow (front to back depth) and looks like my grandad designed it in his shed... and it's a behringer. Is everything just about how cheap something can be these days? It's not even that cheap when you look at what an underwhelming little thing it is and the fact it's a behringer (won't hold value). It's a weird synth, and seems more focused on the power of its effects engine than the sound of its synth engine alone. The basic tone sounds terrible. Don't get the hype at all.

JD-XA is pretty misunderstood but those who know it well know how it betters synths twice its price in some areas (actual synthesis areas - not quanity of voices or how many FX you can throw at it to mask the core sound).

If the DM12 was $600 tops I could maybe see the point. At a grand its competing with genuinely great sounding, if simple, classic vintage analogs on ebay. So what was the point again? 12 voices? meh. colour me unimpressed. :roll:

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:04 pm

Pro5 wrote: The DM12 isn't even as nice sounding as the Junos it's based on, in fact I think it sounds completely 'meh' from all I've heard. It looks like c**p too, it is comically shallow (front to back depth) and looks like my grandad designed it in his shed... and it's a behringer. Is everything just about how cheap something can be these days? It's not even that cheap when you look at what an underwhelming little thing it is and the fact it's a behringer (won't hold value). It's a weird synth, and seems more focused on the power of its effects engine than the sound of its synth engine alone. The basic tone sounds terrible. Don't get the hype at all.
LOL ... This caustic diatribe for an instrument that's not even yet released, and based upon a few YouTube videos ... :facepalm:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Just waiting for Automatic Gainsay to get his grubby hands on one, and make a 10 video long series about it's oscillators, filters, and envelope section :) His voice is so MANLY.

You guys should check out his current Memorymoog series btw.

HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Yes, I do also think that we have to wait at least an in depth review in order to understand what the DP12 is all about...
Pro5 wrote:
JD-XA is pretty misunderstood but those who know it well know how it betters synths twice its price in some areas (actual synthesis areas - not quanity of voices or how many FX you can throw at it to mask the core sound).
Anyway, since you are a JDXA actual user, can you please comment on the aliasing and PWM with the virtual analog wafeforms? I've read that aliasing with PWM on higher register is horrible in the JDXA, worst than in other VA synth (like the V Synth)...

Thank you

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:54 pm

KBD_TRACKER wrote:
Pro5 wrote: The DM12 isn't even as nice sounding as the Junos it's based on, in fact I think it sounds completely 'meh' from all I've heard. It looks like c**p too, it is comically shallow (front to back depth) and looks like my grandad designed it in his shed... and it's a behringer. Is everything just about how cheap something can be these days? It's not even that cheap when you look at what an underwhelming little thing it is and the fact it's a behringer (won't hold value). It's a weird synth, and seems more focused on the power of its effects engine than the sound of its synth engine alone. The basic tone sounds terrible. Don't get the hype at all.
LOL ... This caustic diatribe for an instrument that's not even yet released, and based upon a few YouTube videos ... :facepalm:
Welcome to VSE.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Bitexion wrote:Just waiting for Automatic Gainsay to get his grubby hands on one, and make a 10 video long series about it's oscillators, filters, and envelope section :) His voice is so MANLY.

You guys should check out his current Memorymoog series btw.
no, because then i'll want one.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:44 pm

This thing looks very promising. It also has the power to smash the current analog synth market and make a pretty big mark. Minilogue was remarkable at $500. This is twice the price but with 12 voices.

Everyone has an axe to grind...is a keyboard split too much to ask for? Apparently...

The original Junos were quite limited. I went from a JP-6 to a Juno 60 and it was quite a downgrade.

But the FX...and some very interesting envelopes that loop into the audio range like an LFO.

It does sound quite nice to my ears, and very lush. It seems to also have the capacity to sound quite digital, but not in a bad way, in my opinion.

Uli Behringer for President of the USA. I think I'm going to write in his name on my ballet. Or maybe Tats.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:34 pm

Broadwave wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I wonder if this is going to change people's opinion of Behringer? By the sound of things they're planning on setting up a synth division based around Midas engineers, if they keep the Midas build quality it might change the perception of the whole company.
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had a problem with Behringer. Their build quality has certainly improved now that they have their own plant. Midas have always been innovative and stylish (although on the expensive side).

From what I've seen and heard, I've been very impressed with DM12 so far.
Same here. Never had a problem with the 3X Behringer items I have either.... So, if around £800 in UK (?), looks and sounds pretty damn good to me. Any clues on when likely to be available?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:32 pm

Walter Ego wrote:Uli Behringer for President of the USA. I think I'm going to write in his name on my ballet. Or maybe Tats.
That would probably be the first time Behringer has ever been written on someone's tats. Common for rockstars, not neccesarily synth gurus. I would have expected roger linn to have beat him to the punch... What are we talking about again?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:42 pm

haha if someone got a Behringer logo tattooed on them that would actually be pretty ballsy :lol:

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:15 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:
KBD_TRACKER wrote:
Pro5 wrote: The basic tone sounds terrible. Don't get the hype at all.
Welcome to VSE.
Gotta get the hater level up here, Gearslutz is leaving us in the dust!!!