Behringer Deep Mind 12

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Re: Behringer Deep Mind 12

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu May 11, 2017 11:00 am

Finally I had the opportunity to try it, well only a couple of hours because it was a very busy day but that day I was so close to one of the biggest musical instruments shop in Milan that I couldn't resist :roll: :lol: ...I just surfed through the presets, tweaking some parameters and trying to understand what is hidden in the menu (and I have to agree with Meatballfulton, lot of menu diving, much more than I expected), but I have to say that the DP12 it's not for me, it sounds good and the LP filter is really sweet, but it's a not a synth and a sound that impressed me, lot of bass boost and the effects slathering everything and everywhere, not always in a "bad" way but most of the time I had the impression that there were too much effects washing out a (possibly) interesting sound, I tried to turn off the boost and the effects and the synth impressed me even less, quite flat...I'm not saying that it's a bad synth, again it sounds good even though with some evident limitations (for me osc 2 only square wave, and in my opinion effects are too much part of the sound editing/modulating process, for some people though this could be a good thing), but it's not the kind of sound that I'm after...

There was also a DSI Pro 2 above the DeepMind, I turned it on and man!!, in comparison how good it sounded!!!!, after hearing the DeepMind and not being completely satisfied with it I have to say that I had some moments of real excitiment with the Pro 2, I immediately "click" with this synth, that was another strong point in my decision not to purchase the DM12, and actually I spent the following days looking for an used Pro 2 :roll: :roll: , but even in the used market its price is very high, for some reasons I cannot justify spending 1800/2000 euros for a mono synth (even though it's 4 voice paraphonic), but I can justify spending 2200 euros for a 16 voices analog synth like the Prophet Rev 2, can't wait to hear it in person...but THOSE Pro 2 filters!!!!!!!!, I fell in love with that sound, cannot forget it :cry:

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Sun May 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Interesting... I wonder when the Behringer gets idea to make a clone of the Roland Jupiter 8 or MKS-80 or other VCO synths and if they really can then beat the price of the old vintage synthesizers with their product.
Or they have that in plan already?

recordbot

Post by recordbot » Sun May 14, 2017 1:57 pm

jxalex wrote:Or they have that in plan already?
they are remanufacturing curtis chips

bloodsample

Post by bloodsample » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Making a drone patch from scratch on the DM12.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:11 pm

recordbot wrote:they are remanufacturing curtis chips
:shocked:

Really? is that correct? now that takes some serious resources and committment, well done Mr B :hi: (as in respect due, hats off)