What's going on with all the spam?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: What's going on with all the spam?

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:13 am

Same in Samplers. To, honestly, i dont know if ti is 'until they get banned' or until the end of the workday. seriously.

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:26 am

I think until either! The one posting in Samplers today had managed 5 spam posts and showed as online when I banned the user. I removed the posts and they haven't tried to spam again as a different user.

I guess we just keep removing them. If they are Korean then the time they start would coincide with the start of the working day.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:26 pm

My sympathies to the moderators, you guys deserve more credit for dealing with this nonsense.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Quick: someone sell a CS-80, buy the forum from our current admin, and then manage it properly!

You will be our hero, and I will build a small statue in your honor. You can even choose the medium: I can do rigatoni, macaroni, fusili, or a mystery blen!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

ApolloBoy
Gear: Korg ARP Odyssey
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:48 am

Holy s**t the forum's drowning in spambot posts now
Had: DX7, AX-60, SR-16, Yamaha TQ5, 01/WFD, Juno-106, MG-1, JX-03
Want: OB-6, Prophet 6, Jupiter-6

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:17 am

Ugh this is gettin pretty bad. :(
soundcloud.com/vectron

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.

Post by blueknob » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:56 am

If I can say this without it being misunderstood.. a big up to Vxster ! :drinks:
Last edited by blueknob on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Stupid and pointless spam. No one clicks on those links. Go away spammers. You´re wasting your time.
Herrare umanum est.

desmond

Post by desmond » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Mooger5 wrote:Stupid and pointless spam. No one clicks on those links. Go away spammers. You´re wasting your time.
Once again, that is not what it's about. They don't expect anyone to click the links. This is for boosting search result in search engines only - the more links that come up on other sites to their c**p, the higher the search engine placements. It's not going to stop, if anything it will continue to get worse, until the forum literally drowns and the few mods there are just get so fed up dealing with it they won't anymore - or the forum changes hands somehow, but it seems difficult to contact anyone who has that power.

So the forum goes on drowning, and we only hope someone comes in with a lifejacket before it's last breath...
Last edited by desmond on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:25 pm

I see. That´s what happened to the Moog Archives´forum I think. Hoping this one doesn´t get the same fate.
Herrare umanum est.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:41 pm

How do you go about acquiring this site....if the owner doesn't do anything about this problem it's going to be worthless in the future anyway.

Let's form a co operative....?
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:17 pm

sam wrote:How do you go about acquiring this site....if the owner doesn't do anything about this problem it's going to be worthless in the future anyway.

Let's form a co operative....?
Unfortunately it requires the active consent of the current owner. Basically you need three things:

1. The domain name vintagesynth.com. This requires the owner of the domain unlock and approve the domain transfer. (It is initiated by the buyer.). You could move the site to a new name, but you would lose years of links and knowledge (mostly applicable to the synth info pages.)

2. A dump of the database. PHPBB stores all the content in a MySQL database. There may also be a DB for the synth info pages. PHPBB has a function to dump the database, but it sounds like the still active mods don't have access to that. Even if they did, that wouldn't get them access to any other DB that exists for other parts of the site.

3. A file system dump. Some of the file system bits are easy to replicatewithout a dump. PHPBB can be downloaded anywhere. But the file system gives you the custom code used to on the other parts of the side, and if the forum supports attachments (as opposed to embedding external images) those attachments are stored on the file system.

I mentioned above that I saved another forum a number of years ago. That forum owner was MIA for some time, but fortunately the mods had enough access for me to get what I needed. I had to change the domain name because the owner was still MIA at the time.

If the owner can be raised and is amenable to relinquishing control, I'd be happy to help with the migration, but it sounds like he is MIA.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:27 pm

What's a MIA...?
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Missing In Action

(Any one else hit ESC when finishing editing in the WYSIWYG editor?)

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:51 pm

sam wrote:What's a MIA...?
Yeah it's a common acronym in the US. Originally applied to soldiers that that were missing but without a body to comfirm they were dead, they became listed as Missing In Action. After the Vietnam war there were stories (I don't know if true or apocryphal) about POWs never released so the POW/MIA idea and flag became a part of 70s/80s culture. Today it simply means no one knows where they are or how to contact them.