Roland 909 Day

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Roland 909 Day

Post by griffin avid » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:00 pm

Not going to waste too much reading into the specs and features and...and...
AKAI put out the WOLF, which spec-wise sounds like something out of a fantasy, but- when it comes to the sound - it seems everyone suddenly forgot it existed.

And so, I'll see how it sounds. I got a whole or leanings and tendencies and enjoy all the little aspects that add up into an experience. I love all the studio-time-wasters and all the parts that have nothing (honestly, nothing) to do with the end product or destination. So it's the sound. I'm not super high on the 9 but if it sounds great, and is priced reasonably, why not? The 03, that, I like the look of. It's a pale blue-grayish which is cool...
I'd like to know what the price will be and the physical size...desktop gets more attractive- the more you stockpile gear.

Please, oh please can it sound good.

Please.

I miss those old KORG electribes.
KAOSS pads were great too.
Little gizmos, little boxes of joy.

That's what these are for today's generation.
Probably bought in large numbers...sold later...re-bought..and sold....missed and bought again.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:09 pm

The sides need to be bigger, like this:

<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:33 am

Roland's product page claims to introduce 5 synthesizers and 10 new drums + percussion products. It's likely the TR-09 is one of these drums products. Leaving 2 un-leaked synthesizer products.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:39 am

The roland R-08 : a virtual emulation of the original digital circuitry, including real sample emulations.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

MyKeyZ

Post by MyKeyZ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:30 pm

Someone on the KVR boards said that the TR-09 will be $450 and the TB-03 will be $400.

If true, Roland lost their damn minds.

The TR-8 is only $50 more and you get both the 808 and 909. Plus the ability to upgrade more drum kits. The TB-03 would be $100 more than the TB-3. Why? Because it looks more like the original? I hope these prices are wrong. These Boutiques should not be any more than $300 tops

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:36 pm

They already lost when they made TB-03 digital.

Leave it the same as TB-3 (referred to on other forums as the green goblin), it's going to flop hard.
Fix the incorrect accent, risk ticking off TB-3 owners.

System-8: I might upgrade from my JP-8080, if the plug-out emulations increase the polyphony from the originals (meaning an eight-voice Juno/JX or Jupiter-4/6, or a poly version of the mono plug-outs). Otherwise, Gear Purchase Christmas 2017 will be a DSI poly or possibly JD-XA.
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

MyKeyZ

Post by MyKeyZ » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:07 am

I also wonder if the TB-03 will only be the standard 303 sound or have more sounds like the Aira TB-3. I can't see them charging $100 more than the Aira TB-3 and then limiting the different sounds to just the 303 sound.

If you have something like the TR-8 with multiple classic drum machines, why drop more money for individual Boutique versions of those drum machines. Let's say the TR-09 and 08 each cost $450. You'd be spending $900 for something you could get for $500 or even cheaper with the TR-8. It just doesn't make sense. Unless people like being ripped off for regurgitated digital emulations.

I'm guessing the Aira line is done for. The System-8 will mark the end. h**l, it doesn't have the words Aira anywhere on it. So will Roland stop production on the original Aira line to create a false inflation on the Aira gear when people go after them for not being manufacturerd anymore. That way they can justify the more expensive Boutique prices. Many questions.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:47 am

MyKeyZ wrote:I also wonder if the TB-03 will only be the standard 303 sound or have more sounds like the Aira TB-3. I can't see them charging $100 more than the Aira TB-3 and then limiting the different sounds to just the 303 sound.

If you have something like the TR-8 with multiple classic drum machines, why drop more money for individual Boutique versions of those drum machines. Let's say the TR-09 and 08 each cost $450. You'd be spending $900 for something you could get for $500 or even cheaper with the TR-8. It just doesn't make sense. Unless people like being ripped off for regurgitated digital emulations.

I'm guessing the Aira line is done for. The System-8 will mark the end. h**l, it doesn't have the words Aira anywhere on it. So will Roland stop production on the original Aira line to create a false inflation on the Aira gear when people go after them for not being manufacturerd anymore. That way they can justify the more expensive Boutique prices. Many questions.
*Ahem
ninja6485 wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:I do think roland are going to try to cash in on making another 808,909, and 303 emulation at some point, but the question is: when? They might want to wait until the TR8 has been out there a while before introducing another attempt at the drum machines, or at least until it's discontinued. As it stands, anyone who would otherwise only want only one of the classic drum machines is up sold into buying all of them as one package. I predict they will ride that out a little more, and when that's no longer a strong income generator, repackage the technology (perhaps with some updates) into discrete packages with cool boutique sized 808 and 909 designs.
"When" is an interesting question on the x0x reissues. In my view, if they're just going to release the same "circuit modeling" designs in a new physical package, what's the point? People already have all of those sounds in their TR-8 box. Why would they drop another $300 or 400 each just to have something that LOOKS like an 808 or 909, but has the same sound-making technology as the TR-8? Wasn't that what the Boutique line did? Personally, I don't get the appeal. Go analog or go home, I say!
I predict they might repackage the TR8 technology, perhaps with slight changes; into discrete, stylized instruments (TR-08, TR-09, TR-07, etc), simply to get the most number of products out of the least $$$ spent in development.

They've been selling emulations of the damn things for over 20 years, so they're familiar with the continual demand for those products. A mini va TR-808 that looks the part, has the boutique quality sound, and comes in at $200-300 will appeal to a lot of people, and catch the people who were only interested in one drum machine emulation, but maybe didn't want to buy in to the TR8 at a higher price and get all 3 or 4 emulations. I do think they will let the TR8 run its course.

It would be smart to release a boutique TR-09/7/8/6 like product as an alternative to buying a used TR8, once the second hand market starts to dominate as a live option for people who want the TR8 (as opposed to getting one new).

Since they have all of the technology and development already, it's simply a matter of repackaging something they already have into a fresh product to generate new revenue once the technology stops delivering the goods in its current form.

Now of course, this prediction represents only one scenario where roland might want to combine things they already have into ways they could generate new profit. They may be thinking across the board, and repurpose the technology in other areas, or have generated satifactory amounts of money from the tech and already have something new lined up that could make them more money.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:49 am

Btw, isn't it 9/09/16 in Australia yet? Let's get the news!

and another shrimp on the barbie! :D

MyKeyZ

Post by MyKeyZ » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:16 am

ninja6485 wrote: *Ahem
I guess we think alike ;)

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:09 am

Roland System-8

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:14 am

ninja6485 wrote:Btw, isn't it 9/09/16 in Australia yet? Let's get the news!

and another shrimp on the barbie! :D
haha I was thinking that, why do we have to wait an extra day! :lol:

salwa

Post by salwa » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:09 pm

All products are here. Details later.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:03 pm

The dj808 looks nuts, dj controller and mixer with a tr08 built in.

MyKeyZ

Post by MyKeyZ » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:18 pm

For me, this is Roland's biggest disappointment yet.

I just see lots of regurgitated recent technology being rebundled in newer packaging. Such a waste.

Roland really screwed the pooch with the System-8 by making no patching available. There's lots of dead space for a semi-modular patchbay to be closer to the superior System-1m.

Will we be getting another regurgitated System-8m in the future? Anything for Roland to recycle their ACB technology.

To me, if ACB technology is so great, why waste it emulating older, more limited synths? It's like, here is this "future world changing technology" for synths and you're using it to recreate older analog synths.

It seems like having the power behind the new Playstation 4 to bring us new rich and lifelike worlds only to end up using it to best emulate an 8 bit Nintendo game... but it emulates it so well.

Think forward, Roland, and push the boundaries of synthesizers. Bridge the gap between both the old and modern worlds and take us some place new. If you're gonna emulate old analog gear, go like Korg and third parties and actually use analog circuitry. But if you have this grand new technology, give us something unique.