Roland 909 Day

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Re: Roland 909 Day

Post by megamanx » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:37 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:It's a bit of a bummer that they didn't bring out a TR-08 as well so that people could have a hardware recreation of classic software groovebox Rebirth. ;)
LOL! :lol:

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:13 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:It's a bit of a bummer that they didn't bring out a TR-08 as well so that people could have a hardware recreation of classic software groovebox Rebirth. ;)
haha now that deserves a special edition :lol:

Mark76

Post by Mark76 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:17 pm

Forgive me as I'm a week or so late to this party, but this TR09 release surprises me. Where does it leave the TR8?

Roland seem to be bringing out products that rival each other?? And yet they still seem to be commited to the TR8 with the recent expansion kits and lets face it, the Aria range is pretty recent also.
My only guess is that the TR8 (and Aira range) is aimed more at the live DJ whereas the TR09 more at a studio set up?

Do we think that the Aria will be finished soon?

Seems to be an odd decision (to me)

MyKeyZ

Post by MyKeyZ » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 pm

Mark76 wrote:Forgive me as I'm a week or so late to this party, but this TR09 release surprises me. Where does it leave the TR8?

Roland seem to be bringing out products that rival each other?? And yet they still seem to be commited to the TR8 with the recent expansion kits and lets face it, the Aria range is pretty recent also.
My only guess is that the TR8 (and Aira range) is aimed more at the live DJ whereas the TR09 more at a studio set up?

Do we think that the Aria will be finished soon?

Seems to be an odd decision (to me)
I think Roland is done with the Aira line and name. The System-8 doesn't even have the words Aira or its logo anywhere on it. So I feel kinda sorry for folks, like myself, who bought the Aira line. I ended up selling my TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, and System-1m and kept the MX-1 mixer for now.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:14 am

Mark76 wrote: Do we think that the Aria will be finished soon?
Does it matter ? As long as they don't f**k up Boss pedals, I can care less what Roland does.

I'm not their target consumer; I'm ugly, I'm fat, I'm not a fan of green lights, and I have no desire to purchase digital hardware that emulates vintage gear.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:52 am

MyKeyZ wrote:I think Roland is done with the Aira line and name. The System-8 doesn't even have the words Aira or its logo anywhere on it. So I feel kinda sorry for folks, like myself, who bought the Aira line. I ended up selling my TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, and System-1m and kept the MX-1 mixer for now.
I have a TR-8, TB-3 and MX-1. The only mention of the word Aira is on the back of the MX-1 and even then it's in the context of the USB connectors. It says '(AIRA only)'. There's a big Aira logo on the bottom of the box the MX-1 came in, but nothing on the boxes of the TR-8 and TB-3. So I don't think you should read too much in the omission of the Aira logo or name on the System-8 :D .

Tidda
Last edited by Tidda on Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark76

Post by Mark76 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:03 pm

As far as I was aware, orginally the Boutiques were 'limited editions' so presumably these won't be around forever, yet the TR8 seemed to be a permament part of the line up. Roland seemed committed to it only recently with the 606 kit add on, it always seemed to be more like a proper studio peice of kit and less 'toy' like the TR9. Yet they both have pretty much exactly the same editing controls just cant see where each fits in now :?:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:13 am

Those look like darn small buttons and the knobs are pretty tight together. Same as all the other Boutiques, I guess.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:35 am

Mark76 wrote:As far as I was aware, orginally the Boutiques were 'limited editions' so presumably these won't be around forever, yet the TR8 seemed to be a permament part of the line up. Roland seemed committed to it only recently with the 606 kit add on, it always seemed to be more like a proper studio peice of kit and less 'toy' like the TR9. Yet they both have pretty much exactly the same editing controls just cant see where each fits in now :?:
You're as baffled as everyone else! :lol: Seriously, in terms of producing TR-909 sounds, the TR-09 has no advantages whatsoever over the TR-8. It just looks like a TR-909, which is a benefit to some. It's basically for people who can't get over the green-light clownishness of the TR-8. :roll:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:37 am

The reason behind the boutiques being labelled 'limited edition' and the Aira line being a separate sub-company from Roland even though they're really regular Roland products is that the Boss at Roland is strongly opposed to looking backward, doing reissues or retro things. They had to fight really hard to be able to do any of these machines, but the proviso was that they weren't to be part of the regular Roland lineup. All this info comes from the regional boss of Roland over here.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:06 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The reason behind the boutiques being labelled 'limited edition' and the Aira line being a separate sub-company from Roland even though they're really regular Roland products is that the Boss at Roland is strongly opposed to looking backward, doing reissues or retro things. They had to fight really hard to be able to do any of these machines, but the proviso was that they weren't to be part of the regular Roland lineup. All this info comes from the regional boss of Roland over here.
I don't see why that would matter so much to them over potential profits, if the heads of the company are stubbornly saying no and the sales people on the ground are "fighting" for it, that seems like a pretty badly managed company to me. Who's doing their market research?!?

Seem all this Aira and ACB stuff is an obvious attempt to revitalise the company, question is, will it work or is it too little too late? I'm seeing mixed reactions so far and now with Behringer jumping on the bandwagon things just got interesting.

Mark76

Post by Mark76 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:38 pm

Aaron2 wrote: It's basically for people who can't get over the green-light clownishness of the TR-8. :roll:
Clownishness - great description!

Seriously though, beyond the hidious light display is a piece of kit that seems to have settled in quite quickly to being a standard 909 substitute in a lot of studios I have seen, wo knows it may even become a classic in 20 years time.

It would be a shame if it gets superseded by the TR09, after such a short time. I imagine it's a pretty big seller too!

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:41 pm

This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:26 am

Mark76 wrote:
Aaron2 wrote: It's basically for people who can't get over the green-light clownishness of the TR-8. :roll:
Clownishness - great description!

Seriously though, beyond the hidious light display is a piece of kit that seems to have settled in quite quickly to being a standard 909 substitute in a lot of studios I have seen, wo knows it may even become a classic in 20 years time.

It would be a shame if it gets superseded by the TR09, after such a short time. I imagine it's a pretty big seller too!
The TR8 does all the major TRs in one: the 808,909, 707, & 606, and it has extra features. The Tr09 is just a 909 with a stereo output in a smaller, replica style case. It's kind of like, you can buy the whole pizza, or if you want, pizza by the slice 8-)

And just a casual observation... they're producing little colored 808 style buttons for the vc03. Didn't help the jp08 any, but those colored buttons exist... I wonder if they will be used on a future release... ;) :whistle:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:12 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:The reason behind the boutiques being labelled 'limited edition' and the Aira line being a separate sub-company from Roland even though they're really regular Roland products is that the Boss at Roland is strongly opposed to looking backward, doing reissues or retro things. They had to fight really hard to be able to do any of these machines, but the proviso was that they weren't to be part of the regular Roland lineup. All this info comes from the regional boss of Roland over here.
I don't see why that would matter so much to them over potential profits, if the heads of the company are stubbornly saying no and the sales people on the ground are "fighting" for it, that seems like a pretty badly managed company to me. Who's doing their market research?!?

Seem all this Aira and ACB stuff is an obvious attempt to revitalise the company, question is, will it work or is it too little too late? I'm seeing mixed reactions so far and now with Behringer jumping on the bandwagon things just got interesting.
Maybe they realise that no matter how accurately they reproduce something people are just going to complain about it, and not buy it? They could do an exact reissue of the 303 and people would complain that it didn't sound the same because the resistors were different or something.

If you think Roland are a badly managed company you should maybe think again. They're one of the most profitable MI companies in the world, they realise that the money comes from catering to low and mid range customers that buy stuff in guitar shops, not from pandering to a couple of hundred nerds that like complaining and won't buy anything from them anyway.