Desktop Korg Arp Odysseys

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
abruzzi

Re: Desktop Korg Arp Odysseys

Post by abruzzi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:59 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Broadwave wrote:you can now pitchbend via MIDI
There is a God after all... :yahoo:

Looked at the MIDI spec and see there is no support for mod wheel. All that PPC allowed was vibrato (it was in parallel to any LFO pitch modulation) and my old whiteface had no PPC anyway...I can live with that.

Manual is here.
If it's anything like the MS20m, MiDI is on a separate board, meaning the main board is probably the same, the MIDI board is probably updated to take pitch bend into account before sending CV to the main board.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:08 am

You could always add Roman Sowa's Midimplant PCB - Take the Mod from that to a simple VCA to control Mod Depth via MIDI - There's always a way ;)

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Korg Odyssey desktop module

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:41 pm

Evening all

Desktop version of the ARP Odyssey just out:

Selling in the UK for £519. That's a bloody steal in m opinion. Already ordered mine!

Cheers

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Korg Odyssey desktop module

Post by griffin avid » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:44 am

That translated to $688 USD.
Wonder what that will turn out to be street-wise.I wonder if they have any plans for making a 2600.
THAT would be crazy.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:46 am

It's up on Sweetwater for 599.99, shipping in October.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

haj

Post by haj » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:36 pm

Broadwave wrote: Most of the CV in/outs are available directly from the selector switches - it should be quite easy to insert a switched jack for each of the signals. That sloping panel at the front looks like an ideal place to put the patch points ;)

One of the good things with the module, is that you can now pitchbend via MIDI (no mention of Mod), which means Korg have changed a few things.

Time for me to reconsider, and at $599 (£450) it looks like a pretty good deal.

I have a keyboard version but if somebody come with a detailed description of those inserts/outs I'll be really interested... I want a TTSH or Korg 2600 but a patchable KARP could do it for me!

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:37 am

Regarding adding patch points - The link below is very useful for modding the original Oddy/Avatar, but for the Korg, you'll need to do a bit of reverse engineering, but it CAN be done ;) As I mentioned before, the majority of the i/o points come directly from the switches.

My desktop module is on order (late November/early December), so I'll take a closer look when it arrives.

http://www.newenglandanalog.com/images/ ... Manual.pdf

haj

Post by haj » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:29 am

Hope you'll make it! Looking forward to see the mod. I can solder but that's about what I can do so I guess it's risky to do anything with only schematics (and if I'd have to solder SMD it'll be a challenge..) But I'd look in the manual, thanks for the link.