MKIII Arp Odyssey ever have factory wood sides?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
WhinyLittleRunt

MKIII Arp Odyssey ever have factory wood sides?

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:55 am

Does anyone know if ARP ever used thin (veneer) wood sides on any of the MkIII Odysseys? Mine is slightly different than the ones I usually see photos of, that have the leather sides and the hinges on the top of the cover... mine has wood sides and a different style hinge on the back. I've seen a few photos that look similar to mine but not many. Almost made me wonder if at some point they used wood and then switched to leather, or the other way around.. anyone know?
I like vintage synths....

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: MKIII Arp Odyssey ever have factory wood sides?

Post by Alex E » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:59 am

Hmm, does it look like someone swapped them out?
soundcloud.com/vectron

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:50 am

I don't believe ARP ever used wood for the sides of the MkIII.

There ARE some differences though, depending on what year the later Oddys were produced. I've had a few come through my workshop that had a thick stick-on vinyl overlay instead of direct printing to the front/back panel - they look nasty, cheap and damage easily.

I've also seen two types of hinge, one plain - just lifts the panel up, and the other allows you to lift the panel up and slide across to completely remove it.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:09 pm

Pretty sure it was the very first Black/Orange ones that had the thin wood sides. I have both an early Black/Orange Axxe and Avatar with those thin wood sides, about the same thickness as the later leather type sides, about 1/16 of an inch thick. Have seen Oddy Mk III with the same wood sides. My later Oddy III has the faux/leather sides. All the wood side ones also had a ceramic type green/gold tie-tac ARP logo on them. So yes, they did make them that way at first, but it seems not many were made that way. The Axxe with wood sides even had a higher quality pratt-read keyboard using plastic keytops on metal U channels, where the later Oddy had all plastic keys. Not sure why, but they began to make them cheaper right after introducing the new color scheme?
Pic with Tie-tac logo (thin wood)

View from side:

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:31 am

Yes! ^^^^^^^

Although, mine does not have the little ARP logo on it. But it is the very thin wood sides just like the one pictured. Also my rear hinge is different, it looks like this:

As opposed to this:

(obviously neither of these are my unit)

So we're pretty much thinking these are the earlier Mark III's then? Interesting.
I like vintage synths....

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:27 pm

http://www.arpodyssey.com

Why are they all pics outside and in the grass with their Oddys???

When I got mine a while ago and took it apart to clean up, dead freagin whole leaves were inside it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]