Vangelis at work with an incredible set up.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Vangelis at work with an incredible set up.

Post by knolan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:46 pm

Thanks for the insight into Touch Tracks - I'll definitely look into them. I'm a big "novel sequencer" fan and Logic is well endowed in this regard (it's new arpeggiator is excellent too). I keep meaning to go back and read all about the Environment, but just can't seem to find the time.

Indeed there was a chap in Holland called Bert Keizer who developed a software sequencer based on Zyklus about 6-7 years ago. I did a little beta testing for it, but became very busy and lost contact. I'm not sure if he ever finished the project. From the early prototypes, it looked amazing.

Definitely a lot of this functionality could probably be realised with Logic's environment with some effort, and probably Reaktor and Max (and Especially Max for Live) would deliver the goods. There just aren't enough hours in the day !

desmond

Post by desmond » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Probably Logic's environment isn't the best way of doing this, as, having done a *lot* of environment stuff over the years, there are things it's great at, and things it isn't - and wherever you need some programming type tools, like variables, it becomes extremely painful to do some of these things (you start running into the same workarounds very quickly).

The environment is primarily a visual way of routing and processing MIDI streams, but it's not really a "programming" environment as such, though you can do some of those things. I'd love it to be extended to be a bit more capable in this area, with programming-type tools like variables and mathematical functions etc but I just don't think they really care about it these days. TBH I'm surprised it's still there in LPX, I expected it to be gone, and I expect it to either get a complete overhaul, or gradually be phased out until it becomes firstly a "legacy" feature (ie, still accessible, but only if you know the secret handshake to get in, for those hardcore people that would scream bloody murder if it was gone) and eventually goes away entirely...

But yeah, a real software environment, or something like Max, should be a better tool for implementing these things. Even Logic's javascript-based MIDI scripter can do quite a lot in terms of sequencing (within the limitations of the single-channel strip thing) as you have more of a real scripting environment.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:12 pm

To think that Vangelis once said he'd never use MIDI when it first appeared... ;)

ppg_wavecomputer
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:39 pm

griffin avid wrote:I never understood why Edgar Froese abandoned using the PPG Wave 2 -- until I got one.

But...but your screen name is.... [...]
Yes, I know.

I am German, that possibly explains a lot. :oops:

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:25 am

Virgule wrote:To think that Vangelis once said he'd never use MIDI when it first appeared... ;)
where did you read that?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:33 pm

The Oberheim Cyclone is another example of something can do (some of) that stuff that knolan described (thanks for the info, really interesting!).

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:08 pm

madtheory wrote:The Oberheim Cyclone is another example of something can do (some of) that stuff that knolan described (thanks for the info, really interesting!).
Yep. And I think also the Hotzbox stuff from Jimmy Hotz in the mid 80s did a bunch of this type stuff too...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:55 pm

What is the "musonics minimoog" and why is it going for $13,999 on ebay?

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:46 pm

Bitexion wrote:What is the "musonics minimoog" and why is it going for $13,999 on ebay?
http://www.rlmusic.co.uk/rlm3/musonics-minimoog/

And from this very site:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/moog/moog.php

"Then there was a very short period during 1972 in which Moog Music, which had just merged with the smaller muSonics company, saw the production of a scant handful of "Moog muSonics" Minimoogs."

salwa

Post by salwa » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:22 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
griffin avid wrote:I never understood why Edgar Froese abandoned using the PPG Wave 2 -- until I got one.

Yes, I know.

Stephen
Ahh, the good ol' Hassliebe?
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

ppg_wavecomputer
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:13 pm

salwa wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:

Yes, I know.

Stephen
Ahh, the good ol' Hassliebe?
Lovely word, isn't it.

You just have to love people who come up with that sort of words, come on.

But seriously, you nailed it :).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

briandc
Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Post by briandc » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Although I like some of Vangelis's work, I think it's a shame he uses basically orchestral sounds in his music. Albums like Spiral I enjoy, but to me, a synth exists to do things that orchestras cannot. Vangelis has had some very nice musical ideas. I just would have liked to see him take it a bit in a more "synthy" direction.
Same with artists like Howard Jones. I loved his first album (as I think many people did). The second album though, was in a more "mainstream pop" direction.

my 2c.. :)

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

iowagold
Gear: 4) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, 4) roland integra7, roland xv5050 2 emu proteus 2000, 2 Yamaha 4 studio rooms.

Post by iowagold » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:55 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:55 am
Solyaris wrote:Impressive even though I'm not as into the orchestral sample player Vangelis. I was going to post the topless live Vangelis video from the 70s but I can't find it. That one is impressive too, but of course from the time when he was playing a zillion keyboards and synths simultaneously. The man's a genius regardless!
This one?

Even though this is tons of kitsch, I still find it a lot more original and creative -- and a lot less cheap-sounding.

Stephen
hey Stephen dead you tube link from back in 2016 do you have a better link?
Paul in Iowa