Synth you'd buy again if...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Synth you'd buy again if...

Post by griffin avid » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:54 am

Well aint the new one, just white with double the presets and internal speakers?
Or did I miss something. If I remember the .....XL was the successor (I had one) and then the Radias ...R3....I think was the following line of keyboards that size....and maybe there was one more before they stopped with the microSIZED stuffs.

And I do love the microKORG. God bless that little guy.

I would buy another Radikal technologies Spectralis. That thing. Probably the best money-for-output piece I ever bought. What I wouldn't buy again....the Aira bassline box. It was worth the money, but did/does nothing too groundbreaking. Feels a lot like a KAOSS pad...a very cool thing, but not a "the way to add basslines to my music" kind of solution.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:05 pm

Well I don't want to be the one to say it but perhaps the synths we form the strongest connection with have little to do with tangible things like product cost or artist endorsements, reputation etc.

It's more personal than that, that's the wonderful thing about musical instruments as opposed to any other utilitarian tool :)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:05 pm

^This is true in my experience (tho my contractor brother had a hammer that was his go-to).

Yes, Griffin - there's not much new in the new MicroKorg but form factor. I'm just curious how people react to it.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:... if my MK broke down, I would probably go right out and get another one ...
Refreshing to hear this sort of "don't care what anyone else thinks; I like this instrument and it works well for me" approach, Walter. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the new version when it hits.

Yeah, as the above comments suggest, I think there isn't too much new about the new MK.

The form factor of the original (but not the XL...I have no interest in that one) is very convenient for toting around, so the mini form factor works in this case.

I think sometimes it gets dismissed because of the ho-hum presets. But it's actually a very flexible synth engine. I discovered the power of PWM on it. There's a different type of modulation option for each basic waveform.

With two "timbres", you can also double one tone and make the second timbre slightly out of phase with the first one by setting two pitch LFOs at slightly different rates. Great for zingy/buzzy saw riffs that beat against each other. But of course that just scratches the surface. It's powerful, it has a big sound. It can cover a lot of the range of a Virus without the price tag (or level of polyphony).
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:25 pm

My Prophet 2000 sampler. That was a lot of fun.
Sold my TR-606, JX-3P, prophet 2000 for 400$

Bought a MKS-30 In spring and sold it last month. Never really liked it
as much as my JX-3P and Prophet.
Anyway I find analog synths too expensive if they should make All
those sounds digital synths Can make

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:33 pm

Yamaha RS7000.

Casio some model don't remember it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:13 am

Walter Ego wrote:I think sometimes it gets dismissed because of the ho-hum presets. But it's actually a very flexible synth engine. I discovered the power of PWM on it. There's a different type of modulation option for each basic waveform.
TallowWaters was quite handy with it, if I remember correctly; he loved the odd noises he could pull out of it.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Averagebear6

Post by Averagebear6 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:45 pm

This is a tough question, because I always make it a point not to get attached to gear. My guitars, bass, drums, synths, mics and other gear are all replaceable, and it something happened I'd upgrade.

Quick thought. Elektron Analog Rytm. I'd either get the Mark II, or I'd consider a drum module with sampling, either a Pearl Mimic or ATV ad5. The Pearl is k, so I'd have to save.

If my Yamaha MoX6 was gone, I'd happily upgrade to the MoXF6!

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:53 pm

Without a doubt, the DSI Mono Evolver KB. I've had other synths come and go, but still finding new ways to surprise myself with the MEK.
Bassist, synth junkie

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:19 pm

griffin avid wrote:What's one synth/gear piece you own that if you came home and it was stolen/damaged beyond recognition, you'd go out immediately and buy again? And..and what's the one piece if lost/damaged, you wouldn't be too broken up about it?
Wow another year old post I totally missed that I have an opinion on.
All the gear I once thought was special in some way has all been sold off for at least 6 years now. Prices are too high to justify repurchasing any of them. Turns out all those dreams for vintage gear-collecting I had since 1991 culminated into a 5 year passing fad where I did little more than noodle and tinker. So nothing vintage.

If all was lost, stolen or damaged, I would probably just collect the insurance money and stop buying gear. Consider it an omen. Maybe build another DAW some day if I still had all my backups.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

allogistics

Post by allogistics » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 pm

I have a serious emotional connection to my Korg Minilogue. It actually got damaged during a gig (guitar player knocked it off the stand, and it landed right on the power jack), and I almost cried. But it's getting fixed. I would've bought another one if I wasn't so worried about keeping all my patches I made. That synth is so much fun to tweak live, everything sounds really aesthetic without too much fiddling.

Maybe that's why I'm so connected to it, we've been through things together

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:15 pm

DSI Prophet Rev2. After a rough year, I decided bugger it, I'm getting an analogue poly with lots of knobs. On paper it fitted the bill, on Youtube it sounded great, and it hasn't disappointed. It's good to treat yourself now and again.

skylark

Post by skylark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Well, I have a lot of old synths/gear and I'd hate to lose any of it, but the first thing I'd run out to replace would be my MacPro w/Symphony I/O. That'd allow me to get right back to work.
Linn LM1/LinnDrum/9000/Akai MPC3000
Oberheim Matrix12/OB8/DSX/DMX
Moog VoyagerXL/Source/SE MIDImini
Roland MKS80+MPG80/MKS70+PG800/MKS50+PG300/MKS30+PG200/MKS20/MKS10/MKS7
A90ex/VP70/R8m/DDR30
Korg Trinity Plus/Wavestation AD/01RW/DVP1
Yamaha TX802/TG77