Yamaha CS-80 (x2) from Zappa's estate

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Yamaha CS-80 (x2) from Zappa's estate

Post by knolan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:57 am

They've just hit $7000, and there's still about 3 weeks to go. Seems the proliferation on new analogue gear hasn't dampened the desire for vintage classics. Agree with MadTheory that the mod and pitch bend wheels look weird - though as an owner of the CS40M, CS70M and CS80; the wheels on the 40M and 70M don't feel out of place, and are a very different expressive feature to the ribbon. I love the ribbon because it offers many different approaches to pitch bend, but it is harder to do quick / nuanced bends typical of pitch bend wheels needed in soulful playing typical of blues, jazz and so on. Indeed the wheels on the 40M and 70M are fabulously designed - they feel great, and the amount of inertia is just right. Yamaha carried that over into the DX7.

Regarding the price - of course the CS80 is now in the legendary category and the sky is the limit regarding costs. I spent thousands on restoration and servicing through RL Music and Kent Spong, and indeed spent over 5000 Euro in shipping alone - so I'd need to sell for 15000 Euro just to break even! More than 10 years and huge sums needed for me - and that's why fabulously restored CS80s cost so much - it costs a fortune to get them to that state. RL Music / KSR CS80s may seem pricey - but they are restored, literally, to better than new factory condition (bucket loads of stabilising features added internally) yet, one of these iconic instruments still costs about the same as a small Yamaha grand piano, or a typical small car - so in the greater scheme they are not particularly expensive.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:35 pm

Well I guess that depends how much you need one or will use it, I can imagine it being an awesome synth to play but I certainly wouldn't get that kind of moneys worth out of it.

On a different note, I love the auctioneers estimate, no clue whatsoever :lol:

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:51 pm

OK 6000 was unrealistic, but the current bid for the modded/damaged one is 10,000! What is going on?
Herrare umanum est.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Totally agree with you there. It's likely these instruments will need many thousands of dollars worth of servicing, if not restoration.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:57 pm

"Totally agree with you there. It's likely these instruments will need many thousands of dollars worth of servicing, if not restoration."

this is why we are now taking on outside restoration work. if we buy, restore and sell, the value of the restoration work alone can approach and in some cases exceed the market value of some instruments. or at least it does when you want your synths to be clean inside and out and working perfectly again.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:12 am

Noone has a bigger cult following in the world than Frank Zappa. I'm sure fans with lots of money on their hands want to own anything he or his bandmates have laid their fingers on. I am not surprised at all.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:24 am

I'm not surprised either. I knew it's value was over 10,000, even for a non-celebrity owned instrument. It's a CS-80!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:40 am

Bitexion wrote:Noone has a bigger cult following in the world than Frank Zappa. I'm sure fans with lots of money on their hands want to own anything he or his bandmates have laid their fingers on. I am not surprised at all.
You're right. There may even be some die hard fan with cash to burn (who doesn't even know/care about synths) that will drop down some exorbitant amount of money just to own something he had. I mean it is already up to $7,500 when I posted this; and like it was mentioned in previous posts, it will probably require some extra endive servicing.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:15 am

The slightly tatty Mutron Biphase has already fetched 1,500 US$, and there is still some time left before the auction finishes.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:15 am

Guys like Jay Leno for instance..buys so many supercars he needs a fricking palace just to house all the cars and display them. It'd be like pocket change to him.

Or Chris Evans (former top gear host). He has the world's biggest collection of rare Ferrari's. And just for good measure, he's got them all painted WHITE, not red. Just to blend in with eachother. Why wouldnt he buy Zappa's CS-80 for 10 grand? Or one of the rich american producers.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:18 pm

knolan wrote:Totally agree with you there. It's likely these instruments will need many thousands of dollars worth of servicing, if not restoration.
I believe you, Really complicated stuff.
The sliders are chassis mounted instead of PCB mounted so just for each pot there´s at least three wires. No molex type connectors or anything at sight. Trying to find a cold solder joint in that forest of noodles must be a nightmare.

Interesting auction. Bids are currently 12500 each. What I found surprising was the synth in seemingly worst condition had the highest bids last week. Is the "roadworn" fever arriving to the synthesizer scene or something?
Herrare umanum est.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:08 pm

People are probably not bidding on these because they want a workhorse CS-80. These are pieces of rock memorabilia. The well worn one is more likely to have been the one used more, and subsequently the one more likely to be responsible for the bidder's favorite sounds.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:53 pm

Mooger5 wrote:Trying to find a cold solder joint...
There won't be any of those. The manufacturing quality was top notch. Still is with Yamaha.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:51 pm

:shock:

That photo just officially degassed me for a CS-80.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:01 am

Current price: 12,500 US$ each.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/