Yahoo Groups Archive

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Rasputin

Yahoo Groups Archive

Post by Rasputin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:07 am

I don't know where else to post this, so I suppose here will have to do. Since there are so many resources relevant to vintage synths and samplers hidden behind the "gated community" of Yahoo Groups, I've decided to painstakingly archive as much of it as I can. For now, I've opted only to host the "File" section of any of these groups, so there aren't any messages, photos, or attachments. I have retained the folder structure, but some of the file descriptions (captions) may be semi-important and those I am not able to conveniently preserve. It's a minor issue, but I thought I'd note it.

Seeing as some groups are no longer even maintained/moderated, some of them are entirely inaccessible unless you have an account that was authorized a long time ago. I'm archiving these to make all this stuff available for people that are otherwise unable to gain access and also to preserve data in the event the group gets nuked. There are tons of groups, but I've tried to get as many of the big/important ones as possible.

This link contains various archives for Alesis, Novation, Casio, Oberheim, Ensoniq, Roland, Korg, Linn, E-mu, Sequential Circuits (SCI), Yamaha, and more:

archive is being redone due to preservation efforts

I will add more groups as I have time for. If anyone has access to any major groups that are not present here and would be willing to PM me their account details (I only need them for a 12 hour period) then I will add those groups to the archive as well.

There are many valuable files in these archives (many not currently present on the open web) but unfortunately I'm not able to catalogue or index the contents. There are a great many service manuals, SysEx charts, patches, mods, firmware binaries, and so forth. Enjoy.
Last edited by Rasputin on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baz99

Re: Yahoo Groups Archive

Post by baz99 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:55 am

I agree with your idea and I though of this myself recently too, but I'm not so convinced that a personal google drive is a suitable long term archive location.

Also the messages often contain valuable info so it would be useful to archive those too.

I'm a member of quite a few groups and will look into what can be done to archive everything too, just need to find some time for it.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:18 am

baz99 wrote:I agree with your idea and I though of this myself recently too, but I'm not so convinced that a personal google drive is a suitable long term archive location.

Also the messages often contain valuable info so it would be useful to archive those too.

I'm a member of quite a few groups and will look into what can be done to archive everything too, just need to find some time for it.
You're right about Google Drive, but what is a suitable online archive solution these days? If anyone wants to mirror all this stuff then I'm all for it, though.

I'm in the process of adding the photos and would like to eventually do the attachments and messages too, but a format for the messages is especially tricky. I'm not sure how to export those in a meaningful way for 99% of people.

I welcome your (or anyone's) contributions.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:24 am

Well, archive.org is a pretty good place to upload stuff, but I've never looked too closely into their copyright-type policies. Still, they have several minor abandonware archives on there, so I don't imagine they'd be too finicky.

Another option is to seed a torrent of this stuff, so it gets widely distributed.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to put this together!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:15 pm

Yahoo Groups are going away permanently in a couple months, so anyone that cares in the least should do something about it right now.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi Rasputin,
this is so sad, there is so much useful information on yahoo groups.
How can we help ?
It is all about sharing...

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Yekuku wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:59 pm
How can we help ?
- Making a list of groups which are relevant to our interests.
- Supplying login credentials for groups, especially ones that stopped accepting new members years ago.
- Use whatever scraper scripts, etc. work for you, and then post the fruits of your labor here in some form. Hosting and workflow are your choice. Listed some ideas below, but I'm not saying they're the best ideas or will even work...

Possible Archival Software

https://github.com/philpem/yahoo-group-archiver
http://www.personalgroupware.com/pgoffline-index.htm
http://yahoogroupedia.pbworks.com/w/pag ... 20Messages

Possible Hosting

Archive.org
Box.com
Dropbox
Google Drive
Keybase.io
Mega.nz
OneDrive

Groups of Interest (current list of what I'm either in progress of archiving or have been suggested)

Akai_samplers
AkaiMPC2000XL
akaiS1000S1100Samplers
Akai-S3000XL
akais3000xlusersclub
alphajuno-mks50
asrx
ATARI-MIDI-ARCHIVES
Casio_FZ_Samplers
casiocollectors
crumar
CZsynth
CZ-CZ-Files
deutscheskurzweilforum
DMdrums
dp4
drummachine
DSS-DSM-Synths
DW8000
elec_instrument_repair
electribe
emax
Emu_SP-1200_Drumachine
EMU-ESI32_and_4000
emuesisamplers
emulator_X
emulatorII-list
EmulatorOne
EmulatorVCF
Emulator-X
Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16
Ensoniqsampler
EnsoniqSD1
Ensoniq-VFX-SD
ESQ1
ESQseMe
experimental_akai
Fairlight-CMI
FriendsofOB12
fs1r
HR-16B
introspectiv
JD-800_Tech
jp8080
K1000-K1200
K3Resurrection
kawaisynths
Kawai-Teisco
korg
korgddd1
korg-electribes
korgms2000
korgpolyex
korg-wavestation
KurzList
Kurzweil250
lexicon-g2
Linndrum
miragelives
Mirage-Net
MPC3000
MPC60
Nordlead
Nordlead2
novation-gear
oberheim
oberheim_dpx1
opcodeusers
p2k
PEAVEY_DPM_SP
prophet_vs
Red_sound_gearmaniacs
Roland_D-70
roland_XPs
RolandBossDrumMachines
rolandd50synthusers
rolandjxanalogs
RolandSamplers
Roland-Super-JV
Roland-V-Synth
Roland-XV
s950sampler
SamplersofThe70sand80s
SCIProOne
SequentialCircuits
Simmons_Drums
sp-1200
SP-808USERS
studio440
sy-77
synths-ts12-x3-sy22
tr-707
tx16w
vintageschematics
vintagesynthrepair
xl7
YamahaA5000
yamahablackboxes
yamahacs80
YamahaDX
YamahaDXfiles

jariseon

Post by jariseon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm

looks like groups.io has a migration function for moving Yahoo groups over to their platform.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Believe me the moderators for a lot of these synth groups are looking at moving them somehow. I've been on the VFX group for.. a long time. Possibly since i got my VFX.