Sequential Circuits DRUMTRAKS Tempo SET

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Sequential Circuits DRUMTRAKS Tempo SET

Postby bootlegblues » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:12 am

Hello, I just acquired a Sequential Circuits Drumtraks and have a little issue with the tempo. I can't seem to input a specific tempo I want. Say i have a song with a 144 TEMPO already set, is there a way to set my DRUMTRAKS on that tempo?

I'm aware of the slower/faster tempo buttons, but they are not specific, it jumps from 143 to 146 in tempo, and I want to just use the machine as a stand-alone no midi clock in or that type of stuff.

Does anyone know how to adjust the tempo to a specific one? Thanks in advance!
bootlegblues

Re: Sequential Circuits DRUMTRAKS Tempo SET

Postby Alex E » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:35 am

Simple: change your track to 146 bpm ;)
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: CS6x, JD-990, JP-8000, Supernova II, Virus C, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby bootlegblues » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:27 pm

I also get the sense that the tempo is kind of not very good, i had the idea to set it to 72bpm (which is half of 144) and play with the protools metronome, it seems the drumtraks has its own tempo. I need to know, is this normal?
bootlegblues

Postby ninja6485 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:33 pm

My Drumtrax only has tempo increments of 2: 134, 136, 138, etc. The only way to get it to play in time afaik is to sync it.

Further, clocks on old drum machines and sequencers can be very dynamic. A tempo reading of 134 may swing back and forth and even drift. Not at all like some of the very accurate modern clocks.

Believe it or not, this feature can be an asset. Some people go to great lengths to shift their quantized notes a little to each side to make them sound more organic. The Drumtrax does it naturally, and after you write everything, with a little ingenuity you can use the drumtrax as a master clock to breathe life into some otherwise sterile & robotic arrangements.

One great way to do it is to record the tape sync signal first, and then sync all of the sequences you want to track to the recording. This sort of thing is very subtle, but people often forget that the ear is very sensitive to these sorts of subtleties, and they can make a big difference in the way the finished track sounds.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby whereisjin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:01 am

Hi, I have same issue, have you found any solutions?
Please let me know!
whereisjin

Postby wiss » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:30 am

Get the upgrade from Wine Country and that will dramaticlly improve its ability to be synced from other machines.

other than that I agree with ninja, embrace the drift, gives it character.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby bootlegblues » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:58 am

Hello again, and thanks for your replies, the firmware update sounds like very good advice that might work. The only issue is that I can't seem to be able to identify which is the ROM chip (how does it look like?) and how to read the version that it is.

Thanks again, any help will be greatly appreciated.
bootlegblues

Return to General Synthesizers