Korg Monologue

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Korg Monologue

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:03 pm

pflosi wrote:The envelope bug I'm talking about has nothing to do with portamento. It is about the retriggering.

The whole time a in was watching this video, I kept thinking of this:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:09 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
pflosi wrote:The envelope bug I'm talking about has nothing to do with portamento. It is about the retriggering.
Supposedly the portamento setting takes care of that (I sold mine long before somebody figured it out so I can't confirm).

Time will tell how the Monologue handles it.
No, the portamento is unrelated to the "envelope restarting from zero" issue...

Spinal Tap or not, it's a serious flaw IMO.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:44 pm

The thing about the envelopes in the video is a major point. Paul Nagle, who,is making the point, brings it up in most of his reviews in Sound on Sound. The frustrating thing is something like the Novation Ultranova, a pure digital synth, behaves in the correct way, so there should be no excuses that a digital envelope can not be made to function like an analogue one.
You always want just one more Synth!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:28 am

I don't have a Minilogue, but it's my understanding that a portamento setting of 0 doesn't introduce any portamento, it just stops the envelopes from retriggering from zero.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:10 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: portamento setting of 0 just stops the envelopes from retriggering from zero.
Yes, in other words you get legato behavior.
Synthacon wrote:The frustrating thing is something like the Novation Ultranova, a pure digital synth, behaves in the correct way, so there should be no excuses that a digital envelope can not be made to function like an analogue one.
Most digital synths I have owned let you select the triggering: single (legato) or multi. So yeah, there are no excuses. Korg could have just mentioned in the Minilogue manual that turning portamento on would do the trick. What they did write is this:
Portamento Mode [Auto, On]
Auto: When playing in a legato style (playing a new note before any previously played note is released), portamento will be applied.
On: Portamento will be applied, even when fully releasing a key and then playing the next note.
That doesn't clearly state that this provides legato triggering which is why it took someone to stumble across it as the triggering solution.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:44 pm

Setting portamento to 0 takes care of the clicking problem. (And yes, enables legato mode - which doesn't help with long release and attack settings and playing fast staccato lines, as shown in the video above.)

It does not remedy the restart from zero issue. They are non-related issues. Here's what Tony Allgood has to say about it:
Tony Allgood wrote:As for the return to zero behaviour (RTZ) of the EG that's another problem. And it is a problem. Any fast moving envelope will truncate the audio waveform quickly. That causes a discontinuity in the waveform which is heard as a click when the new note replaces the old one. Instantly silencing the old note completely before playing the next note will always lead to clicks. If the new note on that voice simply begins to play at the same volume as the last one left off, there will be no click, just a transition into the new note's pitch.

With an infinite number of voices this isn't an issue - all notes are left to die down naturally as a new voice can always be found. But as the number of voices go down, ie. only four voices polyphonic or monophonic, then RTZ envelopes are a poor design decision in my opinion.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Well, in that case I'm glad I got rid of mine ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:40 pm

I'll click on ANY video that has a Jupiter-8 in it

MyKeyZ

Post by MyKeyZ » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:40 pm

I love my Minilogue and the clicking issue has been way overblown. I've had no issues with clicking unless I'm looking to force it to click.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Monologue is now shipping as of 1/14/17...a number of online dealers are now reporting them as in stock.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:52 pm

It will be interesting to see how long they take to turn up in Canada. Moog Audio still lists the Minilogue as pre-order. I've actually seen, and fiddled around with, a Minilogue in a Saskatoon Long and McQuade, but it didn't actually appear in shop until late 2016.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:12 am

meatballfulton wrote:Well, in that case I'm glad I got rid of mine ;)
So was I - I didn't WANT to return mine, but envelopes starting at zero with every key down is a PITA. It's OK in a polysynth (in fact, it's necessary for the voicing structure), but not a Mono.

If it's ever corrected, I may reconsider.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:34 am

Broadwave, there is a workaround. Turn on portamento with a time of 0 and you get legato triggering of the EGs. I found out after mine was gone. They also fixed the CC assignment mess, though still no sustain.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:33 am

I have a Monologue right now, and I'm about to release videos about it.

It's tiny, light, and simple.

But it has some features that I feel that are absolutely stellar... it may have my favorite LFO of any analog synthesizer I've ever played.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:39 am

meatballfulton wrote:Broadwave, there is a workaround. Turn on portamento with a time of 0 and you get legato triggering of the EGs.
These are two separate issues. Your solution works, if one wants "legato"/single trigger mode. However most complaints about Minilogue EG retriggering are because they always reset to zero on retrigger, instead of starting at whatever current level was - unlike most analouge envelopes. Most digital envelope generators on analogue synths also mimic this behavior (they retrigger from current level, not from zero) - and that's why ML's envelopes' behavior was rather unpleasant surprise.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)