Yamaha DX7 E! Grey Matter & Corrupted Memory

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Yamaha DX7 E! Grey Matter & Corrupted Memory

Post by pflosi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:34 pm

The E! expansion is the same for both the MK1 and MK2 DX7, AFAIK...

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:10 pm

No, it's completely different. Though I don't know if there was more than one revision of the Mk.1 DX7 E! firmware...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Sonus

Post by Sonus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:30 pm

E! for the DX7, Rev. 1.1, Date of Publication: December 4, 1985.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:52 pm

Woah, really? You learn something new every day. I thought there was only one and that it would work on both the MK1 and MK2 DX7. I have the MK1, FWIW.

So, here's the MK1 manual, then: http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/page ... rd-man.pdf

gwolff

Post by gwolff » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:18 pm

Following the E! Grey Matter manual's procedure was my first intention. They suggest: Turning off internal memory protect, enabling SYSEX filters, and ensuring midi channels are set to 01. After I set these settings, I send the SYSEX files and watch blocks of hexadecimal patch text fly by and then observe no change on the DX7. Sometimes MIDIOX will show the patch names like in my screenshot, other times it will display the default INIT VOICE hexadecimal patch setting.

My E! card is version 2.02. MK1. Not sure if that makes any difference in the procedure or if there's some lost updated manual for my card.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:25 pm

Where is the "filters" coming from? I don't see that in the E! manual. What about removing the E! board? Or has it had a new battery and a reset?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:51 pm

The OP states that the battery was changed...

Alright, maybe you didn't do a full reset... Here's what to do:

First, press Function to enter the menu. Press Operator Select twice for the memory page, button 31 twice for Internal Memory Protection. That must be off.

Then, you need to do three resets basically: Button 19 (also in the memory page) once for erase patch map; twice for physical presets; and three times for the bank. Confirm all three.

Now, when your memory is corrupted, funny things might happen. So, you need to do this on every bank of presets of the expansion (0-9). Remember: You must select a (corrupted) preset when you change the bank numbers in order to actually enter that bank of presets! Otherwise, you'll always do it on bank 0.

That should do a full reset. Unfortunately, I cannot test sending patches there without a massive recabling effort... But you definitely need to do that if the patches were corrupted.

Cheers and good luck!

gwolff

Post by gwolff » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:57 am

pflosi wrote:
I've done that reset twice, and still have no effect when I try and transfer patches. I've cleared all the banks, and they are all INIT VOICE and uncorrupted (default sine waves).

I'm getting a new MIDI-USB cable tomorrow, a YAMAHA UX16, which hopefully fixes the problem. The cable I was using before had one review on Amazon saying it didn't work with certain yamaha products, but had no mention of the DX7.

Besides this, I'm not sure what else could be the problem? At this point if the new cable doesn't work it's probably an internal CPU error, right? If the DX7 is sending SYSEX information to MIDIOX, but not receiving SYSEX information.. I can't really understand what's wrong. Is there a certain specific screen you have to be at on the DX7 with the E! expansion? Or do you just send the SYSEX at any time, and boom it's in the synth?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:36 pm

gwolff wrote:If the DX7 is sending SYSEX information to MIDIOX
There's no evidence of this? I thought we'd established that you had mistaken GM patch names for SysEx?

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Just in case anyone needs the E! MIDI spec, here is a link:
E! MIDI Spec
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com