Polivoks or Aelita?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MushroomCat

Polivoks or Aelita?

Post by MushroomCat » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:23 am

Hello folks,

I'm new to this forum and my question is simple... Which of these two synths would you prefer and why? Both cost around 1 thousand euros... I could buy one of them on ebay.

So, which one? Aelita (3osc monophonic) or Polivoks (2 osc duophonic)? I make alternative electronic music, like for example Oneohtrix Point Never...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Polivoks or Aelita?

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:30 am

hmm that's a tough one, hard to say as I haven't tried either but if I had the chance I'd go with the Polivocks, the unique filter and aggressive look alone make it worth having :)

philip

Post by philip » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:15 am

Aelita.Best filters ever

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:42 am

Will Gregory, who is a crazy synth collector and does actually use them all (Goldfrapp) loves the Polivoks. He also loves the Korg MS20, so you can get an idea of where his tastes lie as regards filters. I don't know if Goldfrapp are in your musical ballpark?

MushroomCat

Post by MushroomCat » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:56 pm

madtheory wrote:Will Gregory, who is a crazy synth collector and does actually use them all (Goldfrapp) loves the Polivoks. He also loves the Korg MS20, so you can get an idea of where his tastes lie as regards filters. I don't know if Goldfrapp are in your musical ballpark?
I have heard of Goldfrapp, but didn't listen to it :D Yeah, the Polivoks have a crazy sound. Also the duophonic option allows great live performances and jams, while on the Aelita I would have to layer it into my DAW...

But the Aelita looks so goddamn awesome! Also I think its more rare and kinda mysterious and I really like the sounds. It's like an eastern-acid-soviet-minimoog thing. Still, the sound of the Polivoks is kinda better (IMO) in some way... Can't decide... really...

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:49 pm

There's a Goldfrapp track, I think it's "Strict Machine", where Will was using the Polivoks for the grating bassline. Definitely a nice sound but would you want to use this all the time, even when a little less would do no harm?

There is a shop in Poland that sells these Russians beasts -- maybe you could buy one of the two and arrange to swap it for the other in case you don't happen to like it?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:09 pm

Very true- Will can afford to use one synth "trick" for one song. It is a pretty cool trick though, and hasn't been over used yet. And thanks for the info, for some reason I'd assumed that was the Crumar thing he also raved about at the time.

MyKeyZ

Post by MyKeyZ » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Polivoks, hands down for me.

MushroomCat

Post by MushroomCat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:45 pm

This guy does some amazing stuff on both:
Aelita:

Polivoks:

Sadly I can't just pay both of these... But they are both so awesome! I should throw a coin I guess...
Last edited by MushroomCat on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

MyKeyZ

Post by MyKeyZ » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:46 pm

Some fun I had running a Polivoks into a Strymon Big Sky and Timeline...

MushroomCat

Post by MushroomCat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:58 pm

MyKeyZ wrote:Some fun I had running a Polivoks into a Strymon Big Sky and Timeline...

pretty cool. Especially the first video... I'm with the polivoks at the point, but can't really decide. I guess I'll go with the PV

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:36 pm

I have no idea about the Aelita, but when I got my polivoks I was hugely disappointed.
I was expecting that it was built like soviet tank but instead I found out that it was built like a toy.
It has a distinctive sound, that's for sure , but it is not for everyone's taste.
It is all about sharing...

MyKeyZ

Post by MyKeyZ » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:27 am

Check out Mick Gordon's soundtrack to the latest Doom video game. In the behind the scenes video, he said he used the Polivoks a lot on it. Definitely for rawer, heavier stuff.