Any nice sounding Jupiter 8 demos?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
philip

Any nice sounding Jupiter 8 demos?

Post by philip » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Hi. So, This is not the first time,when I have a chance to have me this synth. Yesterday I spent the whole day trying to find any nice and musical sounding demos on Youtube,but no luck. I can pretty fast find some Juno 60/106 great demos, but any second Jupiter 8 demo I listen, sounds small and boring.

Also, are there any famous tracks, done with it? Except,Save a prayer/Journey and Queen of course!

So, anything that could give me an objective picture would be much helpful.

Thanx
Last edited by philip on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Any nice sounding Jupiter 8 demos?

Post by Z » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:43 pm

What would you like to see in a Jupiter 8 demo. I'm not sure when I can find the time to make a demo, but it is on my list.

The Jupiter is is prominent on Howard Jones' Human's Lib album (I had HoJo sign an endbell on my JP-8). In fact, search on YouTube for Howard Jones' "Like To Get To Know You Well" concert in High Wycombe to see how he uses it live, and to see true musicianship of an electronic one-man-band.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

philip

Post by philip » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:29 pm

Z wrote:What would you like to see in a Jupiter 8 demo. I'm not sure when I can find the time to make a demo, but it is on my list.

The Jupiter is is prominent on Howard Jones' Human's Lib album (I had HoJo sign an endbell on my JP-8). In fact, search on YouTube for Howard Jones' "Like To Get To Know You Well" concert in High Wycombe to see how he uses it live, and to see true musicianship of an electronic one-man-band.
Thanx,watching the concert.

I'd like to understand what it is famous for, its strong sides. If I get it, I'd like to let go my JU 60\106 stack, coz I don't like to have many synths. Mostly I use 60 as a bass synth and 106 as a pad,synth sounds synth. So I'd like to understand, can I have the same and better from the JP8?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:39 pm

philip wrote: I'd like to understand what it is famous for, its strong sides. If I get it, I'd like to let go my JU 60\106 stack, coz I don't like to have many synths. Mostly I use 60 as a bass synth and 106 as a pad,synth sounds synth. So I'd like to understand, can I have the same and better from the JP8?
OK, here's my opinion on what makes the Jupiter 8 a Jupiter 8 (and an OB-X and OB-X) that cannot be reproduced:

The Jupiter 8 (and OB-X) voices use discreet circuity: raw analog components, instead of microchips that are found in other analog poly synths. Because of this, each voice will sound slightly different - be it pitch or filter. This is analogous to a human choir or a trumpet section. These subtle differences in each voice makes a thicker, fuller sound.

I just bought a Roland System 8 which has the Jupiter 8 "plug out" analog circuit behavior modelling. In the Jupiter 8 mode, the System 8 sounds like a single Jupiter 8 voice that has been copied 8 times. If you play one note of the same sound on the System 8, it will sound just like that same single note on the Jupiter 8. Playing the System 8 polyphonically does not sound like a Jupiter 8.

Now the Jupiter 8 is a dual oscillator synth as opposed to single oscillator on your Junos. With dual oscillators, each oscillator can have a different pitch, be it octaves apart, semitones apart (tuning the 2nd osc to a 5th is common), or same pitch but slightly detuned a few cents to thicken up the sound. You can also cross-modulate the oscillators for complex timbres.

Here's where the Jupiter 8 really shines: you can split or layer 2 patches on the synth. One of my favorite things to do with the Jupiter 8 is to layer the same patch, so now you're limited to 4 voice polyphony, but it you take the UPPER and LOWER outputs from the synth and hard-pan them left and right, the result is an enormous sound.

philip

Post by philip » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Z wrote:
philip wrote: I'd like to understand what it is famous for, its strong sides. If I get it, I'd like to let go my JU 60\106 stack, coz I don't like to have many synths. Mostly I use 60 as a bass synth and 106 as a pad,synth sounds synth. So I'd like to understand, can I have the same and better from the JP8?
OK, here's my opinion on what makes the Jupiter 8 a Jupiter 8 (and an OB-X and OB-X) that cannot be reproduced:

The Jupiter 8 (and OB-X) voices use discreet circuity: raw analog components, instead of microchips that are found in other analog poly synths. Because of this, each voice will sound slightly different - be it pitch or filter. This is analogous to a human choir or a trumpet section. These subtle differences in each voice makes a thicker, fuller sound.

I just bought a Roland System 8 which has the Jupiter 8 "plug out" analog circuit behavior modelling. In the Jupiter 8 mode, the System 8 sounds like a single Jupiter 8 voice that has been copied 8 times. If you play one note of the same sound on the System 8, it will sound just like that same single note on the Jupiter 8. Playing the System 8 polyphonically does not sound like a Jupiter 8.

Now the Jupiter 8 is a dual oscillator synth as opposed to single oscillator on your Junos. With dual oscillators, each oscillator can have a different pitch, be it octaves apart, semitones apart (tuning the 2nd osc to a 5th is common), or same pitch but slightly detuned a few cents to thicken up the sound. You can also cross-modulate the oscillators for complex timbres.

Here's where the Jupiter 8 really shines: you can split or layer 2 patches on the synth. One of my favorite things to do with the Jupiter 8 is to layer the same patch, so now you're limited to 4 voice polyphony, but it you take the UPPER and LOWER outputs from the synth and hard-pan them left and right, the result is an enormous sound.
I just watched the HJones video, and he mostly used JU60 for all kinds of great stuff))He touched the JP8 a couple of times, and that wasn't something significant.

I don't need you to tell me the discreet circuitry theory, I've got tones of synths here, OBX as well, even though they're both discreet, the JP8 doesn't sound near as fat and RAW as the OBX. Moreover, the JU60 sounds fatter and more RAWish with its chorus tuned on than the JP8, according to those demos I've see on Youtube.
I don't much care about the cross mod and OSC detuning. For me it's important to understand where it really shines, leads,basses,pads? the bare tone, is it musical, what's the character of this synth!?
splitting or layering 2 patches on the synth,it is smth that I can do with my CS70, and I'd like to hear that on the JP8, can you do a quick demo of that?
Any Youtube demos you can recommend?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:45 pm

philip wrote: I don't much care about the cross mod and OSC detuning. For me it's important to understand where it really shines, leads,basses,pads? the bare tone, is it musical, what's the character of this synth!?
splitting or layering 2 patches on the synth,it is smth that I can do with my CS70, and I'd like to hear that on the JP8, can you do a quick demo of that?
Any Youtube demos you can recommend?
The JP-8 synth brass patches are hard to beat - think "What is Love?" by Howard Jones. String pads - I'm pretty sure the JP-8 was used for pads on Alphaville's "Forever Young" and Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy".

I'm a single parent and my 9 year-old has activities every weekday evening. I won't be able to do anything until the weekend. I do have some videos I made a few years ago with JP-8, TR-808 & TB-303 (not techno) that I could edit together and upload as unlisted and post the link here.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:34 pm

Logos by Tangerine Dream - beautifully melodic lead line on the 2nd half of the first piece of the album is Jupiter 8. So is the 'wailing' vocal type sound on the last piece on the album (demo's the Roland modulation lever fabulously and how different it is to a Moog type mod wheel - specifically allowing for very rapid back and forth movement of the hand to provide for both rapid and nuanced changes to the pitch, almost 'vocal' in character).

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:49 pm

Most of the synth on Roxy Music's Avalon was apparently JP8.

Rush's Grace Under Pressure is another album with Jupiter 8 on it. For example the "sequenced" bass line on "Red Sector A" is apparently done using the Jupiter's arpeggiator, and the brass type sounds are also Jupiter.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:59 am

Thomas Dolby used the Jupiter 8 a lot. That's probably it on the opening of "Science".

Tears for Fears were big users. Hear the wide range pitch-bend in action on "Head Over Heels".
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:27 am

Watch this demo. It's awesome.

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:50 am

Most of the synth sounds on Talk Talk's stuff is the JP8, including the "elephant" sounds.

Also the bassline to Propaganda's Dr Mabuse, and much of he synth sounds on the Frankie stuff like Relax and Two Tribes...

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:40 am

As promised, here's a video of some Jupiter 8 noodling from a couple of years ago. It starts off with JP-8 in WHOLE mode (standard 8 voice mono-timbral) running through Strymon BigSky reverb pedal. Next, I add the TR-808 & TB-303 and put the JP-8 in DUAL mode and have the UPPER and LOWER parts hard-panned left and right. After that, I experiment with the JP-8's cross modulation. And finally, I add my SH-2 through the Strymon TimeLine delay pedal and have the JP-8's arpeggiator in RANDOM a la "Rio" & "Hungry Like The Wolf".

Be advised I'm a huge fan of expression pedals and have an EV-5 plugged into the JP-8's filter control input giving the synth more expression.

[youtube][/youtube]

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:28 am

stf-ran wrote:Watch this demo. It's awesome.

Isn't it just an absolutely magnificent instrument. They just do not make them like that any more. I adore the CS80, but this is it's equal, just in different ways. The perfect synthesizer. An amazing video - I watched it and the same feeling came over me as the day I powered on my very first synthesizer. Authentic, in every way. Thank you for the pointer.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:47 am

Disco/HiNrg band Lime used the Jupiter 8 a lot. Pretty much all the time.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

salwa

Post by salwa » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Z wrote:As promised, here's a video of some Jupiter 8 noodling from a couple of years ago. It starts off with JP-8 in WHOLE mode (standard 8 voice mono-timbral) running through Strymon BigSky reverb pedal. Next, I add the TR-808 & TB-303 and put the JP-8 in DUAL mode and have the UPPER and LOWER parts hard-panned left and right. After that, I experiment with the JP-8's cross modulation. And finally, I add my SH-2 through the Strymon TimeLine delay pedal and have the JP-8's arpeggiator in RANDOM a la "Rio" & "Hungry Like The Wolf".

Be advised I'm a huge fan of expression pedals and have an EV-5 plugged into the JP-8's filter control input giving the synth more expression.

[youtube][/youtube]
Your demo makes me think, that Jupiter 8 is an instant TD machine ;)
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl