Jarre live setup on Electronica tour

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Rokk

Jarre live setup on Electronica tour

Post by Rokk » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:25 pm

I just came from the concert in Ljubljana, Slovenia. While I'm not a big fan of Electronica albums I must say that I enjoyed the show.
Does anyone know which synths Jarre is using for this tour? I could spot Moog Sub37, Roland System8, TR8, Synthex, Moog Modular, two Synthis, but the two synths in the front are a mystery to me. He has three synths at front, one being System8 and the other two? Anyone knows?

Thanx.

Rokk

Re: Jarre live setup on Electronica tour

Post by Rokk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:55 am

No replies, but nevermind. I got it. There is System-8 and another Roland controller bellow it.
But what strikes me the most is this GRP A4 monster of a synth to his left. I checked the thing out and it is close to being the ultimate synth. The price tag is high, but what a sound!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:55 am

Rokk wrote: [...] But what strikes me the most is this GRP A4 monster of a synth to his left. I checked the thing out and it is close to being the ultimate synth. [...]
Nah, it is not.

All the routing is done using click-stopped rotary switches which is very much like the Orgon Enigiser -- which I found fairly unconvenient to use because of that very feature. The A4 is feature-laden but the user interface is fairly crammed. I found it rather difficult to fathom what exactly was going where, and why... in a studio environment it's sort of manageable but shrouded in darkness on a stage? If you're into really unpredictable stuff, maybe it's for you then. The GRP A8 is even worse. If you are megalomaniacal, it might be the right companion.

I was fairly underwhelmed by the tone as well. It didn't exactly sound bad but I would have expected a little more, bearing its ARP2600-like dimensions in mind. It sounded too clean and too modern for what it is supposed to be. It reminded me of the Anyware Instruments SEMtex quite a bit. Not a bad instrument but nothing to drool over (not for me anyway) -- for this sort of money there are more interesting options around.

The built-in sequencer is quite nice though.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:38 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Rokk wrote: [...] But what strikes me the most is this GRP A4 monster of a synth to his left. I checked the thing out and it is close to being the ultimate synth. [...]
Nah, it is not.

All the routing is done using click-stopped rotary switches which is very much like the Orgon Enigiser -- which I found fairly unconvenient to use because of that very feature. The A4 is feature-laden but the user interface is fairly crammed. I found it rather difficult to fathom what exactly was going where, and why... in a studio environment it's sort of manageable but shrouded in darkness on a stage? If you're into really unpredictable stuff, maybe it's for you then. The GRP A8 is even worse. If you are megalomaniacal, it might be the right companion.

I was fairly underwhelmed by the tone as well. It didn't exactly sound bad but I would have expected a little more, bearing its ARP2600-like dimensions in mind. It sounded too clean and too modern for what it is supposed to be. It reminded me of the Anyware Instruments SEMtex quite a bit. Not a bad instrument but nothing to drool over (not for me anyway) -- for this sort of money there are more interesting options around.

The built-in sequencer is quite nice though.

Stephen
Yeah, the user interface is crammed, but still kind of logical and straightforward. You know, I'm a DX7 freak, so this looks very tidy :)
Sound-wise, yes, it's kind of modern, but still not in a characterless way. I find it to have plenty of character and weight.
The price, however...when I think how many good synth I can get for that money....but I love semi-modulars, and eventually I will get one, probably Analogue Solutions Telemark as it is within my budget, although I'll have to save for it a few years.

squatski

Post by squatski » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:14 pm

I saw Jarre this year too at Cardif doing the electonica 2 tour. Was alright... but it was no destination docklands/Eiffel tower/Egypt. I'd much rather go to one of his big outdoor one-offs!

He doesn't seem to use a keystar as much these days which is a disappointment. His new material was a bit bland but still okay. I think the real question is does he actually preform any of it live!? lol

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:59 pm

squatski wrote:I think the real question is does he actually preform any of it live!? lol
Yes, I've been wondering about this, too. He obviously played the solo lines live, that's for sure. That TR8, ARP2600 and GRP A4 looked more like a part of stage design than something he's use much.
The drummers however...there is no way the played live. Like it has been done by mani live electronic acts, they put someone to hit something rhythmically, so it gives some movement to the performance.

squatski

Post by squatski » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Rokk wrote:
squatski wrote:I think the real question is does he actually preform any of it live!? lol
Yes, I've been wondering about this, too. He obviously played the solo lines live, that's for sure. That TR8, ARP2600 and GRP A4 looked more like a part of stage design than something he's use much.
The drummers however...there is no way the played live. Like it has been done by mani live electronic acts, they put someone to hit something rhythmically, so it gives some movement to the performance.
i was wondering about those drummers too, some of the stuff just sounded too clinical to be live.

Apparently the entirety of destination docklands 1988 was all mimed apart from maybe some of the singers. I got a feeling even the laser harp was mimed lol.
Still, I won't moan cause I love his music and the visuals are always fun to watch!
the tour you went to did they use the... what can only be described as a moving curtain of LEDs? was pretty awesome really.

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:20 am

squatski wrote:
Rokk wrote:
i was wondering about those drummers too, some of the stuff just sounded too clinical to be live.

Apparently the entirety of destination docklands 1988 was all mimed apart from maybe some of the singers. I got a feeling even the laser harp was mimed lol.
Still, I won't moan cause I love his music and the visuals are always fun to watch!
the tour you went to did they use the... what can only be described as a moving curtain of LEDs? was pretty awesome really.
Mimed? Please, don't tell me this :)
I have a feeling the drumming on electronica tour was mimed indeed.
But the laser harp was certainly live. It was obvious. And lead synth lines were also played live as you could hear small "mistakes".
The led curtains are indeed fantastic. It's incredible what they did with them. The intro into the concert with those matrix-like falling lights and then changing into a cube, rotating in the air, then opening up, sliding to the side, then shinning brightly with each ground shaking synth sweep and then when the 4/4 beat came in there were light cubes rotating on all sides...man, that was the craziest thing I've ever seen. It had such an impact!
I'm not a fan of these electronica albums, but I think The Heart Of Noise pt1 and pt2 are classics already. Jarre at his best.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:33 pm

A colleague of mine at one of the gigs sat up the front and could see that a lot of the drum gear was actually not plugged in!

There's no doubt that large amounts of the rhythmic material is not live - it never could be. But that's been clear for many an artist - even some of Vangelis' live concerts you can watch on Youtube clearly reveal he used backing tracks.

I did go to this Jarre concert and it does look however like much if not all of the lead lines were played live. And his large flat screen seems to be configured to trigger a large number of his typical time based effects / single trigger sequences live too.

I have to say I don't mind in the least if it's in large part not live. I got into music through Jarre's early music, and over the past decade or two have been largely underwhelmed by albums such a Chronologie, Metamorphosis and Teo and Tea - but - I have to say - as much as I'm not into Electronica - Jarre has persisted. It's like earlier albums are his 'attempt' to join in on the whole Dance / Electronica movement - but with his last two Electronica Albums it's like as if he has finally found a 'voice' in the realm. He really is being very creative in it all. I'd go as far as to say that the piece "Exit" featuring Snowden is - wait for it - art! I really think it's relevant. And the electronic innovation on that piece and others is very exciting to my ears.

So even though I'm not that big into his current 'sound', and still pine for the early Oxygene / Equinoxe sound; his current music is new, vibrant, ever changing and exciting. I mean, that "Exit" piece is based on Electronica type sounds and production techniques - but just step back and listen to it - it's not Electronica / Dance in any of the usual ways - it's an extended, edgy piece with absolutely loads going on.

So over all, I feel Jarre is coming out with excellent music again, and what's more, his ego seems a little less in your face, and he really seems to be enjoying his music, and appreciating the opportunities coming his way. Very positive all round - so I for one will forgive a few backing tracks during his live sets - he's an artist on the move again.

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:06 pm

knolan wrote:A colleague of mine at one of the gigs sat up the front and could see that a lot of the drum gear was actually not plugged in!

There's no doubt that large amounts of the rhythmic material is not live - it never could be. But that's been clear for many an artist - even some of Vangelis' live concerts you can watch on Youtube clearly reveal he used backing tracks.

I did go to this Jarre concert and it does look however like much if not all of the lead lines were played live. And his large flat screen seems to be configured to trigger a large number of his typical time based effects / single trigger sequences live too.

I have to say I don't mind in the least if it's in large part not live. I got into music through Jarre's early music, and over the past decade or two have been largely underwhelmed by albums such a Chronologie, Metamorphosis and Teo and Tea - but - I have to say - as much as I'm not into Electronica - Jarre has persisted. It's like earlier albums are his 'attempt' to join in on the whole Dance / Electronica movement - but with his last two Electronica Albums it's like as if he has finally found a 'voice' in the realm. He really is being very creative in it all. I'd go as far as to say that the piece "Exit" featuring Snowden is - wait for it - art! I really think it's relevant. And the electronic innovation on that piece and others is very exciting to my ears.

So even though I'm not that big into his current 'sound', and still pine for the early Oxygene / Equinoxe sound; his current music is new, vibrant, ever changing and exciting. I mean, that "Exit" piece is based on Electronica type sounds and production techniques - but just step back and listen to it - it's not Electronica / Dance in any of the usual ways - it's an extended, edgy piece with absolutely loads going on.

So over all, I feel Jarre is coming out with excellent music again, and what's more, his ego seems a little less in your face, and he really seems to be enjoying his music, and appreciating the opportunities coming his way. Very positive all round - so I for one will forgive a few backing tracks during his live sets - he's an artist on the move again.
Well observed and written.
I think for most Jarre is Oxygene, Equinoxe and Rendez-vous. His late 80's and 90's stuff...it just doesn't click with me, but Oxygene 7-13 is a great album, with Oxygene 8 being a true classic. Electronica stuff...well, I dig some of the songs, but Electronica 1 gives me a feeling of a remix album. Most of the songs just don't glue together. Electronica 2 is a bit better in this regard. This said, however, respect to Jarre for his creativity at his age!
He seems genuinely inspired and I have a feeling that we'll hear some great stuff from him in the future.
I'm looking forward to Oxgene 3.
I don't have a problem with backing track as I'm totally aware that complex songs that have more or less a fixed structure can't be performed live by only 3 men on stage. Improvised, Tangerine Dream like stuff is another story.