cool synth videos Joe Zawinul synthesizer set

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
recordbot

cool synth videos Joe Zawinul synthesizer set

Post by recordbot » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:43 am

I just discovered this and had to share it

not sure I've ever seen anyone shred like this on a synth / drum machine setup before

if you know of similar performances please post them

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: cool synth videos Joe Zawinul synthesizer set

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:25 am

He shreds like that because he was a jazz pianist for a few decades before that performance. He was one of the early greats in synthesizer performance with the band Weather Report. RIP Joe!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:25 am

Reminded me of this video, Kuprij is a classical concert pianist who also plays synths in some progrock/metal bands.
He plays the keys so hard the synth almost falls off the stand. He is one of the fastest keyboardists I've heard, and he never seems to miss any notes.

Here he is with his band, Ring of Fire in full crazymode, starting with piano then moving over to pure synth.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:46 am

Bitexion wrote:Reminded me of this video, Kuprij is a classical concert pianist who also plays synths in some progrock/metal bands.
Jings, it's a keyboard version of Yngwie. He's released the fury!

gs

Post by gs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:34 pm

Glad I got to see the Zawinul Syndicate live, about a year before he passed. What a guy! A total influence on me.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:51 am

clubbedtodeath wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Reminded me of this video, Kuprij is a classical concert pianist who also plays synths in some progrock/metal bands.
Jings, it's a keyboard version of Yngwie. He's released the fury!
Quite! He has said in interviews that it is much easier for a classically trained pianist to play ultrafast/shred on a synth keyboard because they are more used to heavy hammering action, so moving over to a synth keyboard is like playing feathers in comparison. Like, jump to around 2 minutes in the first clip I posted.

Actually the singer in Ring of Fire, Mark Boals, has sang on several Yngwie albums in the early 90s/00's. :ugeek:

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Bitexion wrote:Quite! He has said in interviews that it is much easier for a classically trained pianist to play ultrafast/shred on a synth keyboard because they are more used to heavy hammering action, so moving over to a synth keyboard is like playing feathers in comparison. Like, jump to around 2 minutes in the first clip I posted.
I'd agree with that from past experience (at a lower level). But nonetheless his technical ability is astounding. Although, like Yngwie, he plays more musically when he plays more slowly. The first half of the concert video was far more engrossing than the second; an interesting mish-mash of romantic composers.
Actually the singer in Ring of Fire, Mark Boals, has sang on several Yngwie albums in the early 90s/00's. :ugeek:
Ah. My Malmsteen fetish had waned by then. More of a Marching Out/Rising Force man myself.

'I am a Viking
I'm going out to war
I've got death
Upon my mind...'

You don't get classy lyrics like those nowadays.

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Anyone know what the Korg synth is at Joe's left on top? I thought I knew all of Korg's boards, but don't recognize it. The others are Prophet T8, Chroma Polaris, Chroma Rack, Oberheim Matrix12 & Xpander, and a Prophet 5.
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d

Post by mmp » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:55 pm

Figured it out
DW-6000....never really paid any attention to that one.
www.mm-pro.com

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:43 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Quite! He has said in interviews that it is much easier for a classically trained pianist to play ultrafast/shred on a synth keyboard because they are more used to heavy hammering action, so moving over to a synth keyboard is like playing feathers in comparison. Like, jump to around 2 minutes in the first clip I posted.
I'd agree with that from past experience (at a lower level). But nonetheless his technical ability is astounding. Although, like Yngwie, he plays more musically when he plays more slowly. The first half of the concert video was far more engrossing than the second; an interesting mish-mash of romantic composers.
Ah. My Malmsteen fetish had waned by then. More of a Marching Out/Rising Force man myself.

'I am a Viking
I'm going out to war
I've got death
Upon my mind...'

You don't get classy lyrics like those nowadays.
I think you'll enjoy this then

Some good keyboard soloing towards the end too.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Whilst I appreciate the speed and technical complexity of their playing, I find a lot of the music produced by those virtuosi very hard to listen to. I respect the likes of Jordan Rudess and Keith Emerson but they just don't do it for me.

I much prefer catchy tuned played with nice synth sounds like this:

Or this sort of virtuosity (you all know the song):

It's all a matter of personal taste, of course.
GC

mmp

Post by mmp » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:48 pm

This type of musical athleticism leaves me cold. It's kind of the difference between a floor exercise and dance. One is mostly a physical pursuit & the other more of an emotional one. It was the type of playing that Zawinul said many times in interviews that he disliked as being one dimensional. But, I do admire the technical agility.
www.mm-pro.com

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:10 pm

It's a matter of taste, sure. I love Dream Theater, Yes, Rick Wakeman, 70s Genesis, and even some Malmsteen. My mind can make sense of the technical wizardry and still pick out the good melodies even though they're fast.
Ring of Fire is a sort of supergroup with virtuoso members of other bands, so naturally it gets fast and technical.

But it is a matter of "ear training" I suppose, just like how I can listen to some good thrash/death metal aswell and enjoy myself, or even listen to pipe organ music, and you can't get more technical than that really (listen to Vincent Boucher's Tournemire works for instance).

There is no wrong or right when it comes to musical taste I think.

Sorry for hijacking the zavinul thread btw :oops: