My dad invented this synth in the 70s....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
resynator

My dad invented this synth in the 70s....

Post by resynator » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:50 pm

My dad invented a synthesizer in the late '70s and passed away when I was born in 1988. 25 years later I found his synth in my grandmother's attic and have since been discovering how unique it is.

It is a monophonic, pitch-tracking, instrument-controlled, rack-mount analog synth with 2 digital microprocessor chips.

I have one up and running but am now trying to rebuild 4 more from spare parts I found. I am in the process of making a documentary and am looking for financial support to finish this project.

Here is a 2 minute video about the Resynator:
http://www.vimeo.com/resynator/teaser
password: donald1979

To make a tax-deductible donation to this project please visit: bit.ly/resynatordonate

Please reach out with any questions.

Thanks,
Alison

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: My dad invented this synth in the 70s....

Post by Z » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:00 pm

When I click on the link, it says "This Video is Private"
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

resynator

Post by resynator » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:01 pm

password is underneath the link: donald1979

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Post by Hyde » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:18 pm

Post some footage of it in action
Makin' Noises

synthchaser

Post by synthchaser » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:14 am

If you have schematics or a prototype, I could help build your others.

resynator

Post by resynator » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:18 am

synthchaser wrote:If you have schematics or a prototype, I could help build your others.
Thanks! I do have all of the original schematics and one that we've already got working so that will be our model to go off of. I actually have an assembler and a calibrator lined up I am just trying to spread the word to get financial help to make it happen.

synthchaser

Post by synthchaser » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:22 am

If you have the schematics, and have the parts, and have people to do it (or people volunteering help), why do you need to raise money?

resynator

Post by resynator » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:35 am

synthchaser wrote:If you have the schematics, and have the parts, and have people to do it (or people volunteering help), why do you need to raise money?
i need to be able to pay these people for the labor and also buy the parts i don't have. I have a good number of parts, but they may need to be replaced since they are about 40 years old at this point. I am also documenting this entire process in the form of a documentary.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:39 pm

A working link, using some more common video provider service which actually yields some visible results, would be very helpful.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:47 pm

Ya just edit the post so the bitly link is clickable, and take away the password. Folk like convenience! Vimeo is good, gives an air of quality. Best of luck with the project. You're actually doing extremely well to track down all the engineers and IP. That is going to be a major revenue stream in the near future. So much IP gets left lying around in filing cabinets and storage! Especially code. Your dad cracked a nut that it took another 20 years for others to crack.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm still interested in hearing the thing? Looks like you have a few units there. Any of them make noise? Sounds like you are trying to get a company up & running? It's all a little vague
Makin' Noises

resynator

Post by resynator » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:41 am

I am a couple years away at this point to even thinking about re selling these :) my first step is to do some recording with the one I have working, then build the other originals and THEN see where I can go from there. It's all a bit vague because at this point, the path is unknown!

I am new to forums - Can i post a video for you guys to see here without a link? I see the insert photo option but no video. I guess I could upload to youtube? I have a quick snippet of a video of some friends messing around with it. Unfortunately the video i have on vimeo has to be kept "private" with a password because I used 2 tracks which I have not licensed yet!

My dad's partner was Mike Beigel from Mutron and I will be bringing the original Resynator to NAMM this January and he and I will be reintroducing the Resynator for a few moments each day.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:04 am

resynator wrote:I am a couple years away at this point to even thinking about re selling these :) my first step is to do some recording with the one I have working, then build the other originals and THEN see where I can go from there. It's all a bit vague because at this point, the path is unknown!

I am new to forums - Can i post a video for you guys to see here without a link? I see the insert photo option but no video. I guess I could upload to youtube? I have a quick snippet of a video of some friends messing around with it. Unfortunately the video i have on vimeo has to be kept "private" with a password because I used 2 tracks which I have not licensed yet!

My dad's partner was Mike Beigel from Mutron and I will be bringing the original Resynator to NAMM this January and he and I will be reintroducing the Resynator for a few moments each day.

Thanks everyone for your input!
A video would be great. You tube link in your post would be good enough & a couple minutes of sounds, more than licensable music, would be fine. just kinda want to see what it is that would be produced.
Makin' Noises

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:49 am

Are we talking about the Musico Resynator here, the one with the amazing "Timbral Image Modulator" (c. f. Forrest, Peter: "A-Z of analogue Synthesisers Part One: A-M", Susurreal 1998, p. 306-307)?

Mike Beigel's filter box must have been some amazing piece of engineering (just like the Biphase and the Phase SYnthesizer prototype).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

resynator

Post by resynator » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:45 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Are we talking about the Musico Resynator here, the one with the amazing "Timbral Image Modulator" (c. f. Forrest, Peter: "A-Z of analogue Synthesisers Part One: A-M", Susurreal 1998, p. 306-307)?

Mike Beigel's filter box must have been some amazing piece of engineering (just like the Biphase and the Phase SYnthesizer prototype).

Stephen
Hi Stephen, yes Musico was my dad's company. Do you happen to have this book? Any chance you could scan in the pages with the mention? On Amazon the book is $635. My dad was Don Tavel.