My dad invented this synth in the 70s....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
resynator

Re: My dad invented this synth in the 70s....

Post by resynator » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:03 pm

Rokk wrote:
Infrasound wrote:I found this as well.

http://www.preservationsound.com/?p=7670
Wow, this thing looks very interesting! I was thinking of developing a wind controller (in a classic diatonic fashion, like bansuri or irish flute) with a CV/gate output, so I would be able to play all the slides, which current wind controllers do not allow in a natural way that I'm used to, but if this thing ever becomes an accessible product, I'd rather play my real flute through this :) It would be much more fun and interesting.

Alison, it's a wonderful project you've started and I hope you'll be able to realize it. I also hope I'll be able to contribute to it.

Just keep going!

Rok
Thanks for this! Speaking of flutes - I took my dad's synth down to Colombia and we played a Gaita through it - it turned out really cool. I have some video footage of it but I'm going to save it for the documentary. I will upload a short demo here soon though with a guitar!

resynator

Post by resynator » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:04 pm

this was a quick demo of a friend trying it out for the first time... this is the only demo i am able to upload at this time!

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:23 pm

resynator wrote:this was a quick demo of a friend trying it out for the first time... this is the only demo i am able to upload at this time!

Yeah, the expression one could get by playing it with his own instrument of choice!
I can't play the same stuff on a keyboard I can play on a flute and to be able to use my flute as a controller for a synth is a sweet idea. I hope this resynator becomes available one day, but, what would also be interesting is to take only the pitch-follower circuit from it and develop a Pitch to CV/gate interface, so one would be able to play a synth of her/his choice with it (or is there something out there like this that works well?).

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Post by Hyde » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Sounds pretty neat. You can really hear some of the vibe from the era. Cant wait to hear/see more!
Makin' Noises

wjoness

Post by wjoness » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:03 am

Alison is moving ahead with the Resynator project.

I have added a page to the Vintage Roland Guitar Synth site:

Resynator - Hexsynator - Polyphonic Analog Guitar Synth

You can find more information on the Resynator, and the Hexsynator, which looks to be a fully polyphonic version for 1980s Roland guitars, with a Roland 24-pin input to be used by a G-303, G-707, etc.

resynator

Post by resynator » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:47 am

Ok you guys, a lot has changed since I first posted on here. I didn't really have a handle on what the Resynator was truly when this thread started. I've worked hard to understand it, and to get people on board who can help me understand it. I've interviewed Peter Gabriel about the 3 units he bought back in 1980. I've done many demos. I'm close to wrapping production on my film - and using Kickstarter to help get me there. I still hope to one day be able to put a new Resynator on the market but for now the goal is to finish the film, that tells the story.

I made a "history of the Resynator" video that's on the campaign page that speaks of it in layman's terms and goes over a bit of the function of it. The whole thing is scored using only the Resynator (we used drums, vocals, guitar and bass). Also the teaser video I have on the page has been updated as well and includes my trip to visit with Peter, and 3 of the songs in the teaser use the Resynator including my personal favorite - As The World Falls Down by David Bowie, covered by my boss Grace Potter. The first sound you hear is the Resynator. If anyone is interested in seeing it, contributing to it, or spreading the word about the project - the link is below.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Looks like an interesting, well made documentary. There should be Trent Resynator version :D
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

resynator

Post by resynator » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Zamise wrote:Looks like an interesting, well made documentary. There should be Trent Resynator version :D
He was one of the first people I thought about for this project for that exact reason! haha. I met him once briefly at a concert and tried so hard to casually pitch him the project and really emphasized the name, but nothing came of it... but hopefully I planted the seed!

Thanks for checking the project out :)

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:55 pm

resynator wrote:
Zamise wrote:Looks like an interesting, well made documentary. There should be Trent Resynator version :D
He was one of the first people I thought about for this project for that exact reason! haha. I met him once briefly at a concert and tried so hard to casually pitch him the project and really emphasized the name, but nothing came of it... but hopefully I planted the seed!

Great story ! Good luck !!

resynator

Post by resynator » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:46 pm

alan partridge wrote:
resynator wrote:

Great story ! Good luck !!
Thank you!