Need Help Identifying Patch

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pablopablo

Need Help Identifying Patch

Post by pablopablo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:39 am

Hi all. First off, I am relatively new to synths and keyboards, so I apologize if my terminology is off. So, I'm working on making a cover of one of my favorite songs, but I can't identify a certain synth line. I was told that it was a patch of a Mellotron sound, but I wasn't able to find anything that sounded similar while researching Mellotron sounds and patches. Therefore, I was wondering if any of you could identify this. It is in the last 40ish seconds of the song, and it makes a "wuh" sound (sorry I suck at describing these things). The closest I could come to explaining it is as a combination of a hand chime and a shakuhachi (it's definitely got an Asian vibe to it) . So please give it a listen and tell me what you think it is.

Thanks

Here's the song

stickman393

Re: Need Help Identifying Patch

Post by stickman393 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:27 pm

I listened to the last minute of the track and it's pretty dense.
I'm hearing a lot of what could be a clean electric guitar through a fast flanger or leslie type effect, and also there is one moment where I hear a kind of metallic "ping" that if I had to reproduce I'd probably go to my trusty Korg M1 and start with the "pole" sample.

Other than that, I'm not hearing anything Asian or chime/shakuhachi.

Baus

Post by Baus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:21 pm

I'm with stickman393 on this.

I hear no shakuhachi and handchime.

the Wuh...wuh...wuh....wuh.... sound to me sounds like an electric guitar as well...and sometimes like a vocal.

It may as well have been a guitar lightly modulated through a talkbox. Wah wah/Flanger would do it for me as well.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Sounds like the backing vocals.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

pablopablo

Post by pablopablo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:57 pm

Sorry about being unclear. I was really tired last night and couldn't put what I was thinking into words. I didn't mean the guitar or backing vocals. Stickman was right, the Korg M1 pole preset sounds close enough and if I mess with it I should get it close. Thanks guys.

Baus

Post by Baus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:46 am

Sorry.... I don't hear anything that sounds like the M1 Pole sound.... I don't hear any synth at all actually. :lol:

You might be thinking too difficult.

M1 Pole sound at 1:30

pablopablo

Post by pablopablo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:31 am

Baus wrote:Sorry.... I don't hear anything that sounds like the M1 Pole sound.... I don't hear any synth at all actually. :lol:

You might be thinking too difficult.

M1 Pole sound at 1:30

Yes I am familiar with the M1 pole sound. I know the piece that I described doesn't sound exactly like it. That is why I plan to layer it with a square lead and run it through some effects to get as close as possible to the desired sound. I know it's not perfect but I'm in a hurry to get this cover done. If you didn't hear the part I'm talking about, I'll take another shot at describing it. It can be heard faintly throughout the entire outro (set yourself free) but in the last 10ish seconds before the song fades into string noise , it can be heard the clearest. I would definitely recommend listening with headphones. The sound can be hard to hear as it is the same notes as the guitar (b flat, c, a, d, c , f) but it is definitely a separate instrument. The sound itself is hard to describe especially as I am a synth newbie, but it it has a chimey ping sound to it, but not metallic like the m1 pole sound. I probably sound crazy right about now... Oh well :dontknow:

Baus

Post by Baus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:29 pm

It's a Sitar

pablopablo

Post by pablopablo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:47 pm

That ain't no normal sitar my friend.

Baus

Post by Baus » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Have you already asked the band on their Facebook page?

Many artists from the old days love sharing what and how they made their sound.

pablopablo

Post by pablopablo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:02 am

Baus wrote:Have you already asked the band on their Facebook page?

Many artists from the old days love sharing what and how they made their sound.
Yes I asked the lead singer, as I was unable to contact the keyboardist, and he said that it was "probs a mellotron patch". Yet I went into every mellotron sample library I could find, and nothing sounded close. Oh well :dontknow: I'll keep grindin'. Thanks for the help guys.