Which synth was your first love or lighted your G.A.S. ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Re: Which synth was your first love or lighted your G.A.S. ?

Post by synthRodriguez » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:21 pm

They're all wonderful, but still looking for the one synth that truly sets me ablaze.

If Dave Smith were to make a 24-voice, fully-analog synth with (12) Prophet-6 voices and (12) OB-6 voices incorporated inside a hammer-action poly aftertouch case that looked and played like the Prophet T-8 and it had a step sequencer/arpeggiator with full effects, I think I'd probably pass out from the destiny overload.

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:29 am

Scott, the Prophet 12 is a great sounding synth. Every time I dive into programming something new, it doesn't disappoint. You should give it a listen if you haven't yet.

Now onto the topic at hand, the first synth I ever touched was a Korg Poly 800 which blew me away. I wanted one bad. However $799 was a lot of money to a teenager in 1984. That was soon supplanted in my heart by the Roland Juno 106. Sure, there were synths at the local music store that were better and a lot more expensive I could wish for but I tend to focus on things that are within my grasp. There was a Matrix 12 and a Prophet T8 there but they might as well been a Ferrari and a Lamborghini.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:11 am

Yo stf! Good to hear from you. Still using the MKS-70.

I had a Prophet 12 for a while and do regret giving it up. Lots of potential there, just a little too brittle for me in the end. I do love my Prophet 6 though...

Just snagged that inop Rhodes Chroma off eBay, looking forward to digging into it with repairs and eventual sonic exploration. Let us know if y'all get back up this way and please stop by the house.

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:56 am

My first synth-love was the Korg MS20 in 1981. Still have it ! Image
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:21 pm

stf-ran wrote: Now onto the topic at hand, the first synth I ever touched was a Korg Poly 800 which blew me away. I wanted one bad. However $799 was a lot of money to a teenager in 1984. T
I have never considered the price as argument when it comes to synthesizers or any objects which I desire. The same people who complain about price and do not have it, complain later if I have or got it, just becouse I saved some money when I was just a kid. THey have thinking like "dont buy it if the item costs more than your income". LIke savings are no option?!?

Whatever if it was a SCSI CD-writer at year 1997 or Super Jupiter at the year 2009 which costed back then fortune and even now... situation was the same -- people with higher salaries asked "Where from you got the money?". :D
Then the _same_ people complain why I bought it ("it is so expensive", "you do not need it"). Strange...

Conclusion there are whiners in ANY time period.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:58 am

jxalex wrote:
stf-ran wrote: Now onto the topic at hand, the first synth I ever touched was a Korg Poly 800 which blew me away. I wanted one bad. However $799 was a lot of money to a teenager in 1984. T
I have never considered the price as argument when it comes to synthesizers or any objects which I desire. The same people who complain about price and do not have it, complain later if I have or got it, just becouse I saved some money when I was just a kid. THey have thinking like "dont buy it if the item costs more than your income". LIke savings are no option?!?

Whatever if it was a SCSI CD-writer at year 1997 or Super Jupiter at the year 2009 which costed back then fortune and even now... situation was the same -- people with higher salaries asked "Where from you got the money?". :D
Then the _same_ people complain why I bought it ("it is so expensive", "you do not need it"). Strange...

Conclusion there are whiners in ANY time period.
If only other people were more like you...