Synthstrom Deluge

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Synthstrom Deluge

Post by aredj » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Been a few years since I've checked in here... I gassed for a bit, and then ordered something that I'm completely surprised to see no talk about here (sort of I suppose... this is a 'vintage' forum after all)

My goodness people. The groovebox to kill all other grooveboxes is almost done being made.

Be sure to read the specs. Don't gloss over this s**t. Have a good look. Then get excited. (and then get sad because you can't get one for awhile now)

http://www.synthstrom.com/delugeorder.html

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Im surprised

Post by griffin avid » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:05 am

Where does it say HOW MUCH one is?
Looks cool. Interested in what tricks the sequencer has up its sleeve.

But no, not gassing. Excited to see it though.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Im surprised

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:32 am

64 mb of sample RAM. in an age where you can't even BUY a new 64 mb stick. That turned me off immediately.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Synthstrom Deluge

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:39 pm

Wow, it supports weird time signatures. Like what? Maybe 5.67/3.89?

64MB is a bit stingy, but you can stream up to 32GB from an SD card...that's over 60 hours. My guess is samples have to be in RAM for real time tweaking.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:12 am

If 64 megs is not enough then you can double it quite easily by getting a second one. Get a computer if you need more sample memory. It looks and sounds neat but seems like someone who enjoys the whole more pads the merrier thing would like it more than I. It needs more knobs. Will it do more than a single measure loop?
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:07 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Wow, it supports weird time signatures. Like what? Maybe 5.67/3.89?
Actually, yes. Every track (even within kits) can have independent lengths, from 64th bar loop (maybe more, unsure of resolution atm) up to 300000+ bars.

So yeah, a bit more than a one bar loop.

Really, its strength is the sequencer - the vids speak volumes. Aaaand realtime sampling without stopping groove, pitch and timestretch, cv (volts hertz) blah blah... this thing is dope.

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:06 am

aredj wrote: My goodness people. The groovebox to kill all other grooveboxes is almost done being made.
Anyone else around here using the Deluge these days?

Bumping this old thread because the Deluge has been here for awhile now and it's pretty amazing! :) You don't hear a lot about it and I think that's a shame because it is the real deal (imo). The only thing I'm not 100% madly in love yet with is the FM synthesis, as it seems a bit sparse. But some of the shortcuts even display "soon" when you try to use them. The subtractive engine is great though. Sounds nice, has way deeper editing than any similar boxes (thinking Electribes, for example) and even gives you 8 mod sources and one instance per sound of actually modulating one of the those mod sources.

They're adding features at a pretty rapid rate and I believe more FM parameters will be coming soon. 1.3 was just put out in November or December and 1.4 is currently in beta already and will add probability/iteration per step, copy/paste across different songs and even zoom levels and also the ability to assign multiple tracks to the same midi channel.

I'm pretty hyped about this machine and really want Synthstrom to do well with it! Can't wait to see what they might come up with if they doubled the size of it and spared no expense.
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16
MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping