Roland RS-505 Paraphonic Strings - Modern Equivalent?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Andrew.

Roland RS-505 Paraphonic Strings - Modern Equivalent?

Post by Andrew. » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:26 pm

I'm new to synths in general - I just know that I love the sound (especially vintage type synths).

My question for those who are more familiar and experienced than I am...

Is there a synth out there (one that is currently in production) that can nail these tones? Or at least get really close?

I realize this guy is using Reverb and Delay (which I have already for my guitar rig), but the bass on this synth just blows my mind.

Is there anything out there that can get close to the 505's sounds - something that even has similar controls?

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Re: Roland RS-505 Paraphonic Strings - Modern Equivalent?

Post by zmd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:31 pm

Waldorf streichfett?
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

Andrew.

Post by Andrew. » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:06 am

zmd wrote:Waldorf streichfett?
Interesting - was listening to some demos - it does sound really good.

One more question...

At 50 seconds, when he flips the switch for the Contra Bass - is this something the Waldorf Streichfett can do as well? Get that sub-octave sound?

ian
Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Post by ian » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:57 am

I have one of these, and while it is not currently in production, I believe they can be purchased for very little money

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:00 pm

Most synth with outboard gear Can make that sound.
Even digital synths. Most vintage analog synths are rather expensive.
The yamaha SK-20 sounds similar In the video.
The waldorf also. Try to look at the videos made with the Waldorf.
Maybe that Will show if You Can also get the Bass.

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:05 pm

Just heard the waldorf
In my opinion it sounds at least as good as the 505 and
it is without outboard equipment.
Also it is probably the cheapest solution.

Happy newyear
Jens

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:43 pm

The strings in the Roland VP-03 module will get you the closest, however lacking many of the sound sculpting features of the original 505. The RS-505 and VP-330 shared the same quad-BBD ensemble circuit. AFAIK the VP-03 is the only hardware emulation of the quad-BBD ensemble. The Streichfett emulates triple-BBD ensemble like on the Logan and Solina stringers, as does the Clavia Nord A1 w/ ensemble chorus. Which is in the right ballpark for good stringer emulations.

ian
Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.

Post by ian » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:35 pm

I don't know... My SK-20 cost me $99 USD... I think a lot of people are ditching their synths that weigh 80 LBS or more these days for a song, HOWEVER, not sure why the OP is looking for something still in production, so not pushing the issue.

I have been looking at the Waldorf Streichfett myself for awhile now ( kind of lusting). I haven't seen a video that shows it having a split function yet... i.e. The strings in the upper register and with a synth bass sound in the lower register, I would be very interested to hear from someone that owns one. The Streichfett looks really cool, and it is SO portable! I have kind of been hoping that it drops in price on the used market in a year or so, but given that it IS such a luxury type item, I think the only hope is from someone who thought it was what they wanted but turned out to be wrong for them or someone that is liquidating their gear.

That said, I do think there are tons of deals to be had on 505/SK-20/ a lot of other thing type of gear(s) ... If you don't mind the bulkiness it's a good move. I love my SK-20, it is a bad MF-er.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:56 pm

ian wrote:not sure why the OP is looking for something still in production, so not pushing the issue.
To follow up to the OP, parpahonic analog string ensemble synthesizers are no longer made because they are considered archaic. They can only do a small range of sounds compared to a true polyphonic synthesizer and once those became available in the early 1980s the string machines died out.

The Streichfett and VP-03 are digital machines trying to capture the vibe of old string machines if that's what you want, but almost any polyphonce synthesizer today can do a wider range of string sounds. That is not to say that any of them will sound exactly like that RS-505.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35

Post by zmd » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Andrew. wrote:
Interesting - was listening to some demos - it does sound really good.

One more question...

At 50 seconds, when he flips the switch for the Contra Bass - is this something the Waldorf Streichfett can do as well? Get that sub-octave sound?

It has a 3 way toggle for octave up, down or both

zmd

Post by zmd » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:57 pm

ian wrote:I have been looking at the Waldorf Streichfett myself for awhile now ( kind of lusting). I haven't seen a video that shows it having a split function yet... i.e. The strings in the upper register and with a synth bass sound in the lower register, I would be very interested to hear from someone that owns one.
From the sound on sound review
You can apply a key-split to the Solo section, although this doesn’t work as I had imagined because the Solo is always layered with the Strings. Happily, there’s a workaround. When you select the primary MIDI channel to which the Streichfett responds (say, channel 14) the channel above this plays just the Solo section. If you then set the Split to the bottom of the available keyboard range and select Low so that the Solo plays below this (ie. not at all), the Strings section alone plays on channel 14 and the Solo section alone plays on channel 15. It’s quite simple once you’ve tried it, but it would have been far simpler had Waldorf implemented a true split in the first place.

ian

Post by ian » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:18 pm

zmd wrote:
ian wrote:I have been looking at the Waldorf Streichfett myself for awhile now ( kind of lusting). I haven't seen a video that shows it having a split function yet... i.e. The strings in the upper register and with a synth bass sound in the lower register, I would be very interested to hear from someone that owns one.
From the sound on sound review
You can apply a key-split to the Solo section, although this doesn’t work as I had imagined because the Solo is always layered with the Strings. Happily, there’s a workaround. When you select the primary MIDI channel to which the Streichfett responds (say, channel 14) the channel above this plays just the Solo section. If you then set the Split to the bottom of the available keyboard range and select Low so that the Solo plays below this (ie. not at all), the Strings section alone plays on channel 14 and the Solo section alone plays on channel 15. It’s quite simple once you’ve tried it, but it would have been far simpler had Waldorf implemented a true split in the first place.
Thanks, good looks.

MANG

Post by MANG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:10 am

This!

I've owned the 505 and the 330, and now own the Streichfett. It is both budget friendly and covers several other vintage stringers. It will not however, get you that bass from the 505. That thing has a nasty moogy lowend for sure.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:15 am

meatballfulton wrote:
ian wrote:not sure why the OP is looking for something still in production, so not pushing the issue.
To follow up to the OP, parpahonic analog string ensemble synthesizers are no longer made because they are considered archaic. They can only do a small range of sounds compared to a true polyphonic synthesizer and once those became available in the early 1980s the string machines died out.
The thing is, I think that view itself has gone out of fashion now. When you mix the paraphonic limitations and quirks of playing with the gloopy ensemble analog effects, you get results that proper polyphonic synths can't actually produce at all. As that view is more widely accepted now, according to someone on another message board , at least two firms have got plans for new ones of these, as there haven't been any for about four hundred million years - bloody well hope so !

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:43 pm

I consider Stringmachines as complementary to the polyphonic synthesizers. Like said before, it's allmost impossible to achieve exactly the same sound with an analog polyphonic synthesizer. But here i speak as a string machine enthusiast...
IMHO, my Roland VP-330 sounds not the same like the Roland RS-202. This one is much more dense, vintage sounding. It's the same with the Eminent Solina. The basic sound is more medium pronounced, a little bit more raw than the very aerial and spatial VP-330 string sound.
I find that nowadays, software (like Xils V+) is the best emulation for the Roland VP-330. Reaktor (Solina Ensemble?) has an amazing emulation of the Solina. Much better than an analog synthesizer. Or you have to put money in a very good DIY hardware ensemble effect, like the JH Haible Ensemble Effect and combine it with an analog synthesizer.

All the sampled versions are not so accurate, the basic oscillator sound is good, but the ensemble effect are not so common in Workstations. The only hardware synth that brings good string sounds is the Nord A1, as it has a dedicated ensemble effect. But, of course, it depends very much from the personal expectation.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.