Roland RS-505 Paraphonic Strings - Modern Equivalent?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: Roland RS-505 Paraphonic Strings - Modern Equivalent?

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:01 pm

spookyman wrote: [...] IMHO, my Roland VP-330 sounds not the same like the Roland RS-202. This one is much more dense, vintage sounding. It's the same with the Eminent Solina. The basic sound is more medium pronounced, a little bit more raw than the very aerial and spatial VP-330 string sound. [...]
The RS-202 is an entirely different kettle of fish. The 202 sounds very mellow whereas the 330 and 505 share the same string machine engine -- which produces this buzzy, mid-heavy (and in my ears over-used) and slightly metallic, ringing string sound (which I can't stand anymore, TBH). In fact, I'm keeping my 330 only for the Human Voice section, and for sentimental reasons.

The 202 is one of the nicest string machines ever made IMO.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:52 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
spookyman wrote: [...] IMHO, my Roland VP-330 sounds not the same like the Roland RS-202. This one is much more dense, vintage sounding. It's the same with the Eminent Solina. The basic sound is more medium pronounced, a little bit more raw than the very aerial and spatial VP-330 string sound. [...]
The RS-202 is an entirely different kettle of fish. The 202 sounds very mellow whereas the 330 and 505 share the same string machine engine -- which produces this buzzy, mid-heavy (and in my ears over-used) and slightly metallic, ringing string sound (which I can't stand anymore, TBH). In fact, I'm keeping my 330 only for the Human Voice section, and for sentimental reasons.

Stephen
And this is the point - Stringers are quite collectible because no two sound the same. As said before, a lot of the character comes from the way the triple chorus is implemented (which can even be done in three divide down ranks rather than a tri-BBD chorus).

The 505 is indeed very sweet. My personal favourite is the grandfather of almost all of them.. the Eminent 310U closely followed by its bastard son.. the ARP Omni... :D

The 310 has by far the most complex/convoluted BBD based chorus "Orbitone" section on it.

My least favourite being the Korg Delta...

Many underestimate quite what a triple-chorus does... I fitted an external input to the Orbitone section of the 310U and you can feed the weediest little sawtooth into it and get soaring strings out the far end - amazing!

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:49 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:

Stephen
Absolutely. I love my RS 202!

Here you can see a picture of my modded RS 202 with the J Haible additional circuit.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.