Full sized Korg Arp Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Full sized Korg Arp Odyssey

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:04 am

ApolloBoy wrote:
HalloweenJack wrote: It looks like it'll be expensive though...
It's still considerably cheaper than a maintained vintage Odyssey and it's got MIDI. Surprised nobody's mentioned that.
How much cheaper is considerably? I thought they fell to around $1700 or so, but I could be wrong. Unless it's the maintenance you're talking about... Although I've had mine for maybe 6 or 7 years, and it's only beginning to need cleaning and maybe some slider maintenence. Midi is cool, but so many pattern sequencers all have CV and gate now and work via usb and midi themselves that the inconvenience of being limited to CV and gate is almost a thing of the past. As is sync, thankfully! It did suck for the first several years I had it before the influx of modern vintage friendly tech!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:20 pm

ApolloBoy wrote:
HalloweenJack wrote: It looks like it'll be expensive though...
It's still considerably cheaper than a maintained vintage Odyssey and it's got MIDI. Surprised nobody's mentioned that.
My problem with Korg's Oddy is that they use the same circuitry in all 3 models (Mini and FS) - The original Odyssey MkI and early MkII's had a different VCO design which isn't reflected in the new versions... When VCO1 is used a mod source, the sawtooth wave falls, on Korg's models and the ARP MkIII, the sawtooth rises.

It makes a difference when modulating VCO 2, S&H and the VCF. Korg need an inverter switch on the VCO1 output to cater for all versions - They included a switch for the pre/post portamento/transpose function, so why not for VCO1? Simple little things that get overlooked like that, really annoy me ;)

Aidan102

Post by Aidan102 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Rokk wrote:Too expensive. Almost twice the price of paris shuttle the slim keys version. For this money I'd rather take Moog Sub 37 and have a sequencer, lots of modulation and memory.
Hello,
I totally agree with you!
True, it's too expensive!

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Broadwave wrote:It makes a difference when modulating VCO 2, S&H and the VCF. Korg need an inverter switch on the VCO1 output to cater for all versions - They included a switch for the pre/post portamento/transpose function, so why not for VCO1? Simple little things that get overlooked like that, really annoy me ;)
On the other hand, you get three LPFs - Mk I, II & III. I find the mini-keyboard KARP a great instrument, but I feel they followed the original design a little too closely. I would've preferred proper -/+ octave transpose; MIDI out + better MIDI implementation; more knobs, less sliders; a Minimoog-style hinge behind the keyboard. That may not satisfy the purists, but it would unarguably make it a more practical synth for newcomers to the Odyssey, such as myself. If I'm honest, I find the introduction of this new version baffling.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:19 pm

So in other words, instead of reissuing the Odyssey, Korg should have made their own Odyssey inspired synth, perhaps with mostly reissued Odyssey components?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:38 pm

ninja6485 wrote:So in other words, instead of reissuing the Odyssey, Korg should have made their own Odyssey inspired synth, perhaps with mostly reissued Odyssey components?
Nah, just issued an Odyssey Rev.4 with a few interface tweaks only, and no messing around with the analogue signal path.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:07 am

Looks like the module is the best value of the Karps.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 am

ninja6485 wrote:So in other words, instead of reissuing the Odyssey, Korg should have made their own Odyssey inspired synth, perhaps with mostly reissued Odyssey components?
Umm... errr... If I can do it, I'm sure Korg could ;)

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=96539

sw_hunt
Gear: Moog Voyager
Korg Kronos
Korg Oddysey x 2
Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard
Arturia V Collection

Post by sw_hunt » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:17 am

Jabberwalky wrote:Looks like the module is the best value of the Karps.
They go well in pairs :)

By the way if anyone's thinking of hooking up a KArp with other synths by CV, be aware that the CV out doesn't mirror the CV in. Midi (and presumably usb) in get sent to CV out but whatever goes in CV in gets used internally but that's it. So you can't chain multiple synths together by CV. (Gate works ok...Gate In is OR'd with midi Gate in so both appear at the Gate out.) You've done half a job Korg! This isn't a problem with my two KArp modules as I drive the first with midi and send CV out to CV in of the second module, but if I were truly analogue and drove the first module from another CV source then the chain wouldn't work...