NAMM 2017

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

NAMM 2017

Post by garranimal » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Less than 3 weeks away, not expecting much this year. Most companies have released things recently, and fighting to get them out to market. Like Matrixbrute, DeepMind, Marion Systems SEM*Plus.

It seems almost unreasonable to expect any more. I'd still like to see a couple of rumored and announced products come around: Korg ARP 2600 and Odyssey Full Size, Akai MPC standalone

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: NAMM 2017

Post by Solderman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:59 pm

For non-modular, my wish was for Korg to release a reproduction of the Omni II or even the Quadra. Futuresonus should show a fully operational Parva.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:00 pm

The stand alone Akai MPC is coming.

I would love to see a Korg Arp 2600, but I'm not holding my breath.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:24 pm

A KARP2600 would probably cost $3000+ way out of my price range in any case.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:51 pm

Roland is due for a flagship refresh, the Jupiter 80 came out in 2011.

Novation Nova and Bass Station lines are also getting old.

Yamaha MOXF is three years old, but it may be too early to expect a refresh with Montage technology.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:28 am

I expect nothing from there. If we are buying with eyes, then just looking the pictures is more than enough to me, becouse behind that cosmetic packaging is still a troublesome hardware with 10 years old same problems which the manufacturers havent repaired!

Nothing really interesting to me in a brandnew gear when it comes to these big 3 synthesizer manufacturers.

BECOUSE...
Roland Juno-G has problems with MIDI. It has been 10 years for now.
Also the "flagship" Yamaha MOTIF ES rack, remember its midi timing? (About XS rack I dont know really).
And problematic Roland Integra-7 which crashes and is not therefore suitable for a live use. Useful just like a clock which you cant adjust to set correct time.
And from Korg... nothing new really since Triton.

HOw many times they try to sell the same fish in a different packaging? :D

Their brand new ones are for 1500EUR, but as time goes by they are in second hand for 400 EUR already (Roland Juno-D and Juno-G for example). But I would not buy the latest synth model from them not even for a 200USD which was such flaws!

Yes, there are lately some new (which are old design) synths, but how come that they
...dont make it fault-free? (Korg Monologue)
...polyphony which is up to modern technology standards
...affordable (DeepMind 12 price is as the crazy auction for 30 year old JX8P)

The Dave Smith Instruments have done their Oberheim OB-6 and Prophet 6, but cant say why actually the customers dont say out loud why just after couple months they SELL that brand new synthesizer!

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:39 am

meatballfulton wrote:Roland is due for a flagship refresh, the Jupiter 80 came out in 2011.
Isn't the system 8 their new flagship?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:09 am

NAMM will continue to be a big force in the music instrument industry. However, for those of us who aren't guitarists, drummers or band/orchestra instrument players, I've noticed that many companies have in the past decade or so, shifted to "off-season" product announcements/debuts, either for Musikmesse, or events like Rolands 9/09 product launch last September. For products like software, which don't require a massive physical manufacturing investment, releases can really be any time during the year.

squatski

Post by squatski » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:46 am

off topic but, what I find odd about the NAMMs are, there's like no video footage at all of NAMMS before the year 2010 (or there abouts), like, it started in the 1980s right? surely some one would have filmed it like they do now!

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:43 am

Nope. They wouldn't. Several reasons....
off the head...
1) Portable cameras and cheaper tech. Especially to transfer the video to a shareable format.

2) Youtube was still in its infancy (or before youtube even) so where on the computer were you going to watch an 80s video? And youtube was notorious for shoddy compression and inexact video information.

3) Internet(s) was still low-bandwidth conscious so high quality video formats were still being worked out and serving videos on your own site-hosting was troublesome and expensive.

4) NAMM itself was for DEALERS. I repeat Dealers and PRINT media- which had lead times of several MONTHS. There was no need to catalog NAMM's offerings and instant news was never the idea.

and I'm sure more reasons ....
When I was working as/for/with Producer's Edge Magazine, one of the things WE did EARLY (if not first) was video tape all the in-store demonstrations of gear and share that. We went to NAMM (after a tough credentials battle which no longer happens so that anyone with a media outlet is pretty much allowed in [which I think is a good thing]) and video'd everything. Yep every booth. Bigger sites only focused on the major names/players/releases. Small companies got tons of exposure from our videos.

Vendors were surprised and unprepared for what we were doing. NO ONE was doing that. Fact. Spectrasonics did their first NAMM seminar with NO ONE taping. After we got involved they scheduled the filming with us and were very supportive. Since then EVERY company has teasers and release clips and demonstration videos. I could go on, but the point being- with the death of print media as the primary outlet, lead times are no longer needed and it doesn't matter who knows what's coming when.

My Griffin Avid youtube channel (and I named it Griffin Avid and NOT Producer's Edge because I wasn't sure if a youtube channel uploading nothing but gear-centric videos would fly) used to win most-watched-channel-of-the-day awards and banners for weeks.

Like I said, every manufacturer has its own youtube channel or hosts videos of this kind on their own sites. And NI, which used to be very supportive- I don't even think goes to NAMM anymore. Like so many others...there's no need for someone else to break their news- or wait for any big media event. Hello Arturia.

We are an INSTANT news generation.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:54 am

I imagine now myself to go to NAMM for a gear pile-up with a minivan AGAIN, while having current G.A.S. attack ? ;-) :) :)

But remembering last time... even if having $10000 in pocket, I see there is no NEW gear in my interest which I would buy. Absolutely none! I would not mind the price of the OB-6 synths but I have much better than this already.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:55 am

squatski wrote:off topic but, what I find odd about the NAMMs are, there's like no video footage at all of NAMMS before the year 2010 (or there abouts), like, it started in the 1980s right? surely some one would have filmed it like they do now!
The NAMM Show actually started in 1901. :)

There is video/film footage of NAMM shows in the past, but it's not on YouTube or Google. And digitizing such footage is costly and time-consuming, so it's not really worth it. You'd have to do research with some of the more established companies (i.e. Fender, Roland, Yamaha, etc) and with the NAMM organization itself, which maintains a historical archive library.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:02 pm

I can't wait to be disappointed by yet another throng of pointless 2vco mono synths, and overpriced polys.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm more interested in what's going to be at Superbooth than NAMM.

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:25 pm

DSI new product!