Transferring Sample Files to Kurzweil K2000 from laptop

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Transferring Sample Files to Kurzweil K2000 from laptop

Postby anyonebutdetroit » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:18 am

I just bought a Kurzweil K2000. As part of my gear search, I saw an ebay auction for Alan Wilder's Depeche Mode live performance samples used on the Music for the Masses tour. As a fan of the 101 album, this had me very excited, especially since the auction specifically mentions that the file format is compatible with my new synth. However, the files are to be send digitally, which means that I have to find a way to get the files from my laptop to the K2000. Like the rest of the world, I dont have a working computer with a SCSI port and / or a 3.5" floppy drive anymore.

Some ideas I've had...

- It looks like there are some USB to SCSI adapter cables, but they seem to be $100+ - and I'm not sure that would work.

- Some people have modded K2000s with a floppy drive emulator, but it requires that you open up the synth and remove the old floppy drive... not something I'd feel super comfortable with

- There are USB to 3.5 Floppy drives, but I'm not sure they can write to floppy... the primary use case is to put old files on to your computer, not the other way around.

Any ideas? I can't be the first person with this issue...
anyonebutdetroit

Gear: Kurzweil K2000, Roland XP-30, Korg Z1, Roland JX-8P
Band: Gritch

Re: Transferring Sample Files to Kurzweil K2000 from laptop

Postby abruzzi » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:04 pm

A couple comments:

- the Kurzweil uses FAT file system, so if you by a USB floppy (probably $10 or so) you will be able to write from a PC/Mac and read it on the K (or vice versa). The limitations are the size of file that fit on floppy, and the speed of floppy. Nonetheless, I'd suggest getting one because it's still useful to have around.

- ignore the floppy emulators for now. They're not all that useful for a device like the Kurzweil.

- ignore those USB to SCSI adapters. They've gotten crazy expensive.

- the best long term solution is some kind of removable media that exists in both SCSI form (to connect to the K) and in USB to connect to your PC. This can be done with ZIP drives and will probably set you back $100-$150 for both drives and a few 100mb disks. The better option, though still a little DIY, is the SCSI2SD board. It adapts an SD card slot to a SCSI interface. If you don't want to open your synth up, it can be configured as an external device. (You have to but the older v5 model if you want to do this since no one has created an external case for the new v6 version.). Basically you'll spend $100 for the v5 board and a case, then you need a microSD card and a way to read it on the PC.

Just to go back the the short way for a moment. The files you have, are any of them larger than 1.4 meg? If not, I'd just get the USB floppy and be happy until you need to move larger files. If they are larger than 1.4 meg per file, the floppy solution won't work, and unless you want to muck around with ZIP disks, I'd go in the SCSI2SD direction. I have a v6 board installed internally in my K2500RS and it works fine. I have a v5 board and external case on order to make an external device to hook to my EPS16.
abruzzi

Postby anyonebutdetroit » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:09 am

Thank you so much for the well thought out response. I'll start with the USB floppy and go from there.
anyonebutdetroit

Postby anyonebutdetroit » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:24 am

Update: I got ahold of a usb floppy drive for $20 and it totally worked. Thanks again.
anyonebutdetroit

Return to General Synthesizers