Where did this old Amiga sound come from?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HepCat

Where did this old Amiga sound come from?

Post by HepCat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:34 am

Hi there,

I have a sound that l think came from an old Amiga sample disk (you know, the ST-01, ST-02, ST-03 etc. sample disks).

The sample's name is "buzz2".

I have loaded a song l made with it, into OpenMPT and saved the specific sample onto my desktop. However, it saved at a low octave, so l went back to OpenMPT and transposed it 1 octave, then an extra half octave.

Each time l transposed it upward, a little bit of metallic distortion crept in, sorry. The "lower octave" sample was the original render via OpenMPT, all other samples were transposed upward in OpenMPT and thus slightly distorted.

I have also included an example of how the sample actually sounds when used in a melody.

I would dearly like to find a modern equivalent to this sample, not necessarily the exact same sample (although it would be nice - obviously it's from a synth from the 80s or early 90s), but just something near enough that l can use to re-make my song ... because the original sample is only 8-bit and l need something a bit (? try 8 - 16 bits) higher res.

Please see the links for the samples and an example of usage - all are tiny .mp3 files, you can just stream them:

buzz2 - Lower Octave
buzz2
buzz2 - Mid-Octave
Example

Just stream only. Please do not try to download the files, or you will get a [benign-looking] popup - streaming is ad-free :)

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Where did this old Amiga sound come from?

Post by Mooger5 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:16 pm

It sounds like an overdriven Hammond organ. You can sample that from any 70´s prog rock album if you find a long enough snippet. ELP and Triumvirat come to mind.
Herrare umanum est.

HepCat

Post by HepCat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Mooger5 wrote:...
Thanks for your kind reply. I am wondering: what if l mixed a Hammond organ with a "synth string" sound like the one at the start of this song:

Imagine that instrument one or two octaves lower, it would be quite bassy and tremolo-ey, so, l may try to mix that with a Hammond organ note.

I just need to find a Hammond sample and an appropriate synth string sample, l guess.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of WAV files of various hammond "waveforms" if you look around in google :)

Just remember that .wav files are "one shot" samples, they end when the sample ends. No fancy loop points.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:35 am

HepCat wrote:
Mooger5 wrote:...
Thanks for your kind reply. I am wondering: what if l mixed a Hammond organ with a "synth string" sound like the one at the start of this song:

Imagine that instrument one or two octaves lower, it would be quite bassy and tremolo-ey, so, l may try to mix that with a Hammond organ note.

I just need to find a Hammond sample and an appropriate synth string sample, l guess.

Sounds like you need a yamaha sk series synth!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:07 am

HepCat wrote:Hi there,

I have a sound that l think came from an old Amiga sample disk (you know, the ST-01, ST-02, ST-03 etc. sample disks).

the most st00 etc sounds for amiga and scream tracker come from one not so high demand Roland rack module?
u110, u220 or similar... which one?
was not it so ? i dont know but i heard it that one Roland rack is responsible for most samples in trackers . :)

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:21 pm

jxalex wrote:
HepCat wrote:Hi there,

the most st00 etc sounds for amiga and scream tracker come from one not so high demand Roland rack module?
u110, u220 or similar... which one?
was not it so ? i dont know but i heard it that one Roland rack is responsible for most samples in trackers . :)
No.. not so really - I have quite a soft spot for this subject/era...

There were many sources for the famous early Amiga SoundTracker sample disks - the most famous being the ST-01 disk (ie. the very first one) which was shipped with Karsten Obarski's ground breaking Ultimate SoundTracker (amazing really - almost like having a Fairlight and Page R on one floppy disk to run on a home computer with no extra hardware!!). This infamous sample disk was the sole source of a truly amazing number of Amiga music modules circa 1987-88 before more disks became available to the public domain.

A few years ago I set myself a challenge to reverse engineer ST-01 and found, much to my surprise, that at least 30% of the sound samples on ST-01 are from the Roland D-50 (released same year - 1987) to the point many of the sample names are the same or similar to the original factory patch names. Other unquestionable sample sources turned out to be Yamaha DX21, R100 drum machine and possibly Korg Poly 800. There remained about 30% of the 126 or so sounds I couldn't identify.

The real beauty with ST-01 and the others is that they were all one-shot "caricature" samples and in very crude, often highly distorted 8-bit sound, which have oodles of character - way way more than the rather plastic sounding FM based sound most PC owners were putting up with at the time on their sound cards.

Some of those Amiga sound modules from the late 80s / early 90s are really quite remarkable considering the hardware they were running on!

Here's two classic Amiga modules from the early 90s in action:

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:05 am

sorry i heard amiga and had to weigh in! I have a tricked out Amiga 1200 in my music studio. i imagine there could be blending but those samples in the post, don't they just sound like "guitar" like the one I have in my DR-5 drum machine..

This song (and demo) is one I remember fondly back in the day.. and that song from Jester reminds me of this (maybe this was a 2.0 version?

I have a sample I'd like to give the same question to the pros.. but it's currently locked up on a mac HD and my macbook pro is off getting fixed till later this week.. I built a song around it years ago that i'd like to revise, but wonder if i could find a higher quality version of it.

you can hear it here.. a poor sampling of the song but good for this purpose this this.. this is of course slowed down considerably from the speed it came from the game over music for psygnosis "awesome" game (track 5 i think).

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:56 am

when you talk about amiga can you please link to MODARCHIVE instead of youtube? it is really crappy interface what that youtube has and clumsy... or name just the tune and author itself, so it is done without visiting the link? Its more effective this way.
Afterall we are talking about the modules which have walked on earth before the Micro$hit and internet websites were born and irc, bbs, ftp were the means of communication. ;)

I say so becouse... Imagine now that someone is STILL using these computers and visiting the VSE site too from that... ;)

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 pm

I liked the 50fps demo to accompany it since it loses something when you just hear the song ;) and is it just me or is https://modarchive.org/ SUPER slow?

i hear you though about amiga people still accessing the internet. I used to do dialup with my 1200, but by the time lan/cable internet came along I was a PC user and the Amiga became primarily a musical instrument.

but seriously.. doesn't the sound @hepcat cited sound like a General MIDI "distorted guitar"? The DR-5's instrument set was pretty much a GM set. you can hear it clear as day in the youtube link i sent above.. about 15 sec in.

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Try to load the modarchive without javascript.
ALL websites are much faster if to disable javascript. So they wont bother to contact 101 other websites like googleanalytics and all such . For such purpose on windows and linux environment helps to still keep the old Opera versions like 10.63 where you have the quickswitch to switch off cookies/javascript/plugins .