I want a Moog Modular filter!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sw_hunt
Gear: Moog Voyager
Korg Kronos
Korg Oddysey x 2
Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard
Arturia V Collection

I want a Moog Modular filter!

Post by sw_hunt » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:28 am

Anyone know a filter module I can get that would sound like the old MM filter? (Without spending 10k + on a real one because: 1. 10k+ and 2. I don't need all the other modules)

I've got a Voyager and a couple of Karp modules with the Type II Moogalike filters but they are quite different to the Modular filter.

The sound I'm after is ELP Pictures at at Exhibition. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/346 ... 20Sage.wav

The filters in Arturia's Modular V aren't right. The nearest I've got is the iPad Modular app from Moog, but I'd like to be able to play the Voyager and other stuff through the filter which I don't think is possible.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: I want a Moog Modular filter!

Post by pflosi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:13 pm

There are a few things that you might want to have a look at. Do you already have access to any modular formats? Cause that will be pretty much mandatory. Let me also preface this by saying that not all of these cater to the modular version specifically...

Firstly, I guess you know about the Minifooger and Moogerfooger filters. They are the most accessible of the bunch, since they are standalone. But they also don't really mimic the modulars specifically. There is also a 500 series module of the filter by Moog themselves.

In MU/5U, have a look at the MOTM, Mos-Lab, COTK and maybe even Dotcom filters. In Eurorack, have a look at the AJH series (although they do emulate the Minimoog rather than the modulars) and the Aion filters (those are the modular versions). Also, Synth Tech's E440 (which is pretty much the MOTM filter in Euro format). Pretty sure there's more that I'm missing, especially counting all the "inspired by" versions...

Another thing to consider is the input stage. Just like with the Minimoog mixer, the modular CP mixer is crucial for that typical "overdriven filter input" sound. There are lots of clones of that one, e.g. by Manhattan Analog, AJH and Addac in Eurorack (I'm sure plenty in 5U/MU as well, but I don't know all those modules that well). That plus one of the "cheaper" versions (Doepfer A120, Dotcom, etc.) might actually get you really close, certainly closer than without a CP style mixer...

Of course, with the 500, MU/5U and Eurorack options, you will need to factor in a case (get more space than you think you will need) and a power supply.

Finally, go over to Muffwiggler and have a search there. Plenty of threads on this subject.

Good luck and cheers! :drinks:

sw_hunt
Gear: Moog Voyager
Korg Kronos
Korg Oddysey x 2
Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard
Arturia V Collection

Post by sw_hunt » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Great help thanks pflosi :)

I don't use a proper modular format at the moment although my Voyager, Moogerfooger CP251 and CV expander modules and pair of Korg Arp modules (Kodules) are full of holes of mixed sizes! If I find a suitable filter module I'll need to buy appropriate case, psu etc. I'd prefer MU/5U as I get on better with the bigger jacks.

As far as I can make out, the two Foogers and the Moog 500 aren't particularly based on the 904a, which I think must be my target. Dotcom looks promising but it's not clear whether the Q107 and Q150 are based on 904a or MiniMoog or something generically Moogish. I've also been looking at the Aion module which also looks promising and claims to be a 904a clone and is in fact named after it. It's Eurorack but as I'd probably plumb it in semi-permanently that's tolerably. I think I'd wire it between the mixer and filter input of my Voyager and trust the mixer would give it enough drive. If not then a suitable mixer/amp will be needed. It'll also need an attenuator for the ADSR input but I have one in the CP251. Hmmm, also got an amplifier/mixer in there too, although I probably need some distortion rather than just amplitude.

Oakley modules are looking promising. A 904a clone and in kit form which would be fun. Gives me more housing options too. Need to find a suitable CP mixer too now.

Some good pointers, many thanks.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:32 pm

"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Paul Schreiber of Synthesis Technology once said the only module that came close to behaving like the 904A was in his co-design of the MOTM 490, although that was over 8 years ago.
You have to re-create certain non-linearities in both amplitude versus frequency and frequency versus resonance. There's a secret genius in the choice of transistors and how the circuit adjusts impedances based on audio input levels. The MF-101 pedal can't do it because it just uses a cheap transistor array chip with all matched-pairs. It really is unique, even to the Minimoog VCF design, especially in terms of how it leverages feedback. Pretty noisy though. I'd be curious to look more into the Aion and some of these diy options.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Oakley's sound new filter, is based on the 904A.
http://www.oakleysound.com/dlf.htm
It is all about sharing...

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:43 am

I've built a Moog Modular VCF which I use occasionally - But if you put something like a 2600 through it... it still sounds like a 2600.

Ignoring the build variables, It's the sum of it's parts that give the Moog Modular "That" sound I'm afraid - It's very difficult to emulate.