Sequential T8 Monster Auction Excitement

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Sequential T8 Monster Auction Excitement

Post by SeventhStar » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:05 am

I rarely bid on vintage synths, listed on Ebay, but I bid on one tonight..

I saw a massive monster T8, the other day, that just pulled me in.. It made me forget all about the Prophet 5, 600, 6, Rev2 and everything else Sequential..

For nearly the last crazy 26 minutes of the auction, I was the high bidder! :D Not until there was only 9 seconds remaining, was I outbid! And outbid I was, by 8 different bids :lol:. The snipers were firing off bids all over the place in those final 9 seconds!!

It was a rush, for me, because for 26 LONG minutes, I actually kind of thought I was gonna win it and have to make the biggest single Ebay payment of my life! The BIG BAD Sequential beast went for $4,076.69 to the winning sniper.

I wonder if one of our forum members will be the new owner.. Maybe he can make a demo track for us if he is..

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Sequential T8 Monster Auction Excitement

Post by Z » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:07 pm

I was watching that auction, too, but knew it would sell for over $3k. The final price was $3876.69.

Yup, you can always bet on snipers putting their bids in in the last 10 seconds on rare items like that.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:49 am

That's what ebay is like. The snipers got their scripts set to automatically bid in the last seconds, so you're nearly chanceless unless you use the same sniper scripts yourself.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:59 am

Ah yeah... When I bid, I usually have a set max price in mind and just try and snipe it when there's less than 30 seconds to spare. I'm outbid I don't have time to bid higher, but that means I also can't impulsively engage in a bidding war. :P
soundcloud.com/vectron

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Determine the most you're willing to pay and add just enough on top to beat out the person who may be thinking the same number. If you're willing to pay $500 you might as well bid $502.51 to beat out the others who are going to bid $500. Have your bid locked and loaded and hit confirm with 3 or 4 seconds left. Don't leave any time for retaliation. :twisted:

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:35 pm

supermel74 wrote:... and hit confirm with 3 or 4 seconds left. Don't leave any time for retaliation. :twisted:
Unless, of course, you live in the UK and your broadband is therefore sh*te...
GC

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:42 am

SeventhStar wrote:I rarely bid on vintage synths, listed on Ebay, but I bid on one tonight..

I saw a massive monster T8, the other day, that just pulled me in.. It made me forget all about the Prophet 5, 600, 6, Rev2 and everything else Sequential..
What is it about a T8 that compelled you to be willing to spend thousands of dollars on a decades old synth as opposed to picking up some of the current Dave Smith Instruments gear? Personally, I'd rather have the new REV2 than a T8. I'm curious as to why the T8 "pulled you in."

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:23 am

AnalogKid wrote:
SeventhStar wrote:I rarely bid on vintage synths, listed on Ebay, but I bid on one tonight..

What is it about a T8 that compelled you to be willing to spend thousands of dollars on a decades old synth as opposed to picking up some of the current Dave Smith Instruments gear? Personally, I'd rather have the new REV2 than a T8. I'm curious as to why the T8 "pulled you in."
What pulled me in, you ask?

It looked majestic in the auction photos. Cosmetic condition on that one was very nice. It is one of the biggest Sequential synths ever made (along with the Prophet-10) and rarer than the Prophet-5 Rev 2. Four feet wide, by almost two feet deep, weighing in at 59.5 lbs. A solid beast of a synth, yet about half the weight of a CS80 (an even bigger monster).

I am intrigued by the keyboard, with its fully weighted wooden piano style keys, with velocity sensitivity (in both directions of travel), and polyphonic aftertouch. It just called out to me, I can’t fully explain it.. If it had a simple note on-off keyboard like the Prophet-5 and 600, I probably wouldn’t have been as interested in it.

What else made me bid? Location. It is / was in New Mexico, I am in Arizona. Shipping from my neighboring state would have lessened the chance of it getting damaged. Wouldn’t have had too far to travel.. Compare that to the one on Ebay that is in Paris, France.. That would be a LONG journey for an old beast to travel..

I did find the way the auction played out a little strange though. The same seller, sold an Oberheim Matrix-12, about two months ago. With three days remaining, the bidding had already reached $4000. It went for $4356. Not much of an increase over where it was three days earlier.

In contrast, the T8 sat for days at $1525, until the afternoon of the final day. Then it sits with me in the lead, at $2350 until the 9 second mark.. My max bid was $2500 (placed long before the sniping began). I was only willing to pay a total of $2700 including shipping. I debated about upping my bid to $3000.. But said screw it lol, and just sat back and watched what happened. I was aware of the likely pending sniper action. I was surprised I lasted in the lead as long as I did though..

It is not the last to snipe that wins an auction, it is the HIGHEST Bidder, period.. I'm fairly confident that if I had been the first bidder, 10 days earlier, and bid say $5100, it probably would've been mine. By the way, the last sniper to place his bid lost the auction, he was the 2nd highest bid and bid with only 1 to 2 seconds remaining. The winning sniper placed the HIGH bid, with 9 seconds remaining. He was one of, if not the first to snipe at it, kind of a premature sniper :lol: , but still the winner.. It was an entertaining auction to say the least!

The bottom line is I wasn't willing to pay what was necessary to get it.. I liked it, but not enough to pay over four grand for it. If I had really badly wanted it, I could've actually afforded to pay over five grand for it, and that is a scary thought! If you have GAS tendencies, it is much easier to control yourself when you're broke. If you have extra cash on hand it takes a lot more will power to keep sane.. I've been in both scenarios..

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 am

AnalogKid wrote:[...] What is it about a T8 that compelled you to be willing to spend thousands of dollars on a decades old synth as opposed to picking up some of the current Dave Smith Instruments gear? [...]
The DSI stuff is not bad but, compared with a T8, it's toys. No proper-length keyboard (five octaves maximum), tiny controls, crammed control panel, a somewhat too precise sound (for me, anyway).

That being said, I would steer clear of a T8 because of its size, bulk, and fragility. Especially the keybed doesn't travel well (with sensors and/or markers falling off) although, having spent its lifetime in a dry desert climate, its tendency to warp would be considerably smaller.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:11 pm

After seeing all the horror stories about how postal workers handle packages, I'd never dare to receive such a monster via mail or any kind of transport service.

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:44 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote: The DSI stuff is not bad but, compared with a T8, it's toys. No proper-length keyboard (five octaves maximum), tiny controls, crammed control panel, a somewhat too precise sound (for me, anyway).
Stephen
Respectfully, I gotta disagree. The T8 certainly is beautiful and the keyboard itself is super nice, but my understanding is that the synthesis is basically a glorified Prophet-600. In other words, sonically inferior to a P-5. And having spent a fair amount of time playing with the the P-6 at NAMM last week, it sounds fantastic to me (and I own a rev3 P-5). I've disliked most of the new DSI stuff because until now, most of them had wee controls and used the sonically inferior "all-in-one" Curtis chip, but the P-6 eradicates all of this (except for the short four-octave keyboard). And it nails the warbly PWM character of the P-5 along with immensely expanded functionality. I'd love to get them in the same room and A/B, but I've had my Prophet for a decade, so I know its character very well.

In other words... P-6 sounds better than a T8 at half the price and does a whole lot more. Get one and get a big MIDI controller! :D (and just to be cruel, they release the good, but-not-as-good-as-P-6 REV2 with a five-octave keyboard. Grrrr!)
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:23 am

celebutante wrote:[...] The T8 certainly is beautiful and the keyboard itself is super nice, but my understanding is that the synthesis is basically a glorified Prophet-600. In other words, sonically inferior to a P-5. [...]
I know.

That's why I've never bothered to buy a T8.

This, and plenty of other potential sources of sorrow that I already own.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/