Synths and You (the collection of opinions)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Synths and You (the collection of opinions)

Postby cornutt » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:37 pm

1) The synth that made you want to play music:

Wendy Carlos' modular Moog, and Edgar Winter's 2600. The first synth I ever actually got my hands on was an Odyssey, but I was hooked before that. Playing with a friend-of-a-friend's Minimoog, circa 1980, sealed the deal. (She offered to sell it to me for $400, but I didn't have it. Oy.)

2) Your first synth:

Juno-106, bought new in 1984. I still have it.

3) The synth that has surprised you most:

Hard to say. I might put in a vote for the E-mu Morpheus. I bought mainly out of curiosity about the Z-plane filters; I wasn't really expecting much. It turns out to be a pretty neat little synth.

4) The synth that has disappointed you most:

I could say the Electro Harmonix Mini Synth, because the build quality was utter c**p, although the synth engine itself was not bad. Then again, I wasn't really expecting much from it to begin with. The Yamaha TG33 didn't really meet my expectations. The vector stuff is kind of cool, but the combination of sample playback and two-op FM is pretty limited.

5) The synth you love most:

My modular. The V-Synth and Solaris come in a close second.

6) The synth you've gigged with the most:

Of the synths I own now, the Juno-106 is the only one that has been gigged, and that was a long time ago. But I did gig with it quite a bit back in the day.

7) THE synth you really would like to own:

Wow... if money and space were no object, maybe a GX-1 or a Synclavier. Slightly less unrealistic would be a Prophet-10, a 2600, or a DX1. More realistic: an Andromeda. I'm still on the fence about buying one. Prophet-12 is in there too, although I'd want to take a look at the Prophet-R2 first.

8) Your newest synth:

I've bought little other than modular pieces for the past four years. The newest bit of non-modular gear I have is the Solaris.

9) The next synth you are going to buy:

I've been having a look at the Roland System-8.

10) The synth with the best filter:

Um... "best" is really hard for me to define, because I don't have a fixed concept of what a filter should do. Transistor ladders with bit, and smooth creamy OTA filters, both have their uses. A somewhat out-there contender is the digital filter in the JD-800, because it can go to extreme resonance settings without self-oscillation, which is something unusual.

11) Favorite synth manufacturer:

In modular, among the manufacturers who are active now, either SSL or Dotcom. I need to have a closer look at the Corsynth and Moon Modular stuff. When I started, it was Synth Tech, but since Paul is out of the large-format business, it's kind of N/A to me now. (Although I do have an E340 and E350 that have been reformatted to MU format...)

In non-modular gear, over the years I've accumulated a lot of Roland stuff. With Roland, it seems to go in waves. They go for several years without doing anything interesting, and then all of a sudden, boom. It was that way with the JD-800, the S-750, and the V-Synth, and right now they are in another creative period.

And I'm going to add a question:

12) Favorite soft synth (if you have one):

Probably Iris. I've had it for three years and and I still don't feel like I've explored 10% of what it can do. Minky Starshine is a simple little additive synth (well, to the extent that there can be a "simple" additive synth), that can do some surprising things.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Postby Hyde » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:13 pm

I haven't owned a ton of synths afterall, I'm a guitar player/builder. I got into Synth Samplers long into my music adventure. I think we'd all love to have an ever evolving list of synths to play with!

1) The synth that made you want to play music: ASR88

2) Your first synth: ASR88

3) The synth that has surprised you most: ENSONIQ SQ1+

4) The synth that has disappointed you most: Quadrasynth

5) The synth you love most: ENSONIQ SQ1

6) The synth you've gigged with the most: ENSONIQ ASR

7) THE synth you really would like to own: Nord Lead or Roland JP8000

8) Your newest synth: EPS16

9) The next synth you are going to buy: SQR

10) The synth with the best filter: Mirage

11) Favorite synth manufacturer: Ensoniq Obviously....
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Postby Grumblepig » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Minimoog... and Polymoog, and anything else featured on Gary Numan's Cars. Crazy thing is I've ended up recording with the very first Mini that Gary Numan used at a studio in Cambridge.

2) Your first synth:

Pro One

Juno 6. Only cos I was never interested back in the day - I was a loyal PolySix kid! But I was given a Juno 6 a couple years back and suddenly/finally see what the fuss is about.

DX-7. I bought into the hype that this was the future but I never liked the sound and hated the un-programmable front panel. Traded mine for a Prophet 5 back when that seemed like a dumb, backwards move!

Prophet 5! Mine died years ago but my gf has one now.

Prophet 5. Honestly, I rarely gig with synths - usually I'm either playing acoustic guitar and/or piano or playing with rock band. But I did drag my P5 out in the early days.

Minimoog. Uh, and another Prophet 5!

8) Your newest synths:

Prophet 6 and DSI Evolver

Dangerous question! I don't have enough kidneys to sell for a Minimoog. I bought the Evolver instead of a Bass Station II, but that one still interests me... so does the Yamaha CS-5 and the CS-15 and...

MS-20/10. That weird cat yowl filter has mystery and charm!

Dave Smith, it seems. Prophet 5, Prophet 6, Pro One and Evolver, innit!
Grumblepig

Gear: Prophet 6, Korg MS-10/MS-20m, Doepfer DE, SC Pro-One, CZ-1000, Wurli 200, Roland R8/CR5000/TR-707, Boss DR110, Micromoog, Juno 6, X-Station
Band: Three Minute Tease

Postby Solderman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:03 pm

1) not a synth, the Piano
2) Korg X-5 rompler
3) Polivoks
4) Kawai K3
5) I don't play favorites
6) I don't gig either
7) Matrix-12
8) KARP Oddy
9) Maybe Relic-6???
10) SH-101
11) Korg
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby sw_hunt » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:14 pm

1) The synth that made you want to play music: Piano originally but the synth that first made me want a synth was Emerson's Moog Modular from Pictures at an exhibition

2) Your first synth: Arp Axxe. I modified it myself to 5 VCOs etc and it was a monster :)

3) The synth that has surprised you most: Yamaha VL1 physical modelling synth. Not that bothered about the acoustic emulations but the synth sounds it makes are so powerful and unusual.

4) The synth that has disappointed you most: Korg workstations. I had an M3 and now have a Kronos. Lots of features and lifelike sounds but so cold and lifeless.

5) The synth you love most: Moog Voyager

6) The synth you've gigged with the most: ENSONIQ VFX

7) THE synth you really would like to own: Original MiniMoog

8) Your newest synth: Korg Odyssey Module x 2

9) The next synth you are going to buy: making a set of modules that are clone of Moog Modular filter and reverb etc.

10) The synth with the best filter: Moog Voyager

11) Favorite synth manufacturer: Moog, dur!
sw_hunt

Gear: Moog Voyager
Korg Kronos
Korg Oddysey x 2
Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard
Arturia V Collection

Postby Zamise » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:54 pm

1) The synth that made you want to play music: AWE64 soundblaster card

2) Your first synth: Yamaha CS1X.

3) The synth that has surprised you most: Yamaha RS7000 - fairly basic and limited synth engine yet I've unexpectedly pulled more out of it by far than anything else. Nearly 20 years old - last night trying to figure out sysex code for FC stop on it because normally stopsends sustaneo and switch codes to every midi channel, couldn't get it figured out yet or if any of that makes any sense, but stumbled across song pointer codes... got to try that s**t out tonight. Synthbros, do I ever need a girlfriend.

4) The synth that has disappointed you most: That I've bought - probably the DS Mopho keys, great in many ways but certain other ways it disappointed me, traded it straight up for a QM Sirius and not at all disappointed with that trade.

5) The synth you love most: Yamaha RS7000, not just a synth and it's synth engine could be way better yet I always keep going back to it. I'd marry it if that sort of thing was allowed. Once I submitted a proposal to declare a state wide RS7000 day, never heard back from the Governor tho.

6) The synth you've gigged with the most: Yamaha RS7000 (all around stand alone workhorse) after that for a performance synth would be a Yamaha CS2X because it is a good giggable synth that I don't have to worry too much about damaging plus a couple voices I really like on it.

7) THE synth you really would like to own: the DX1 Prototype.

8) Your newest synth: Newest to me - Yamaha CS6R. Newest synth - Roland Aria tb-3.

9) The next synth you are going to buy: Unknown.

10) The synth with the best filter: They all sound the same to me. Fav type of filter is HPF with low end boosted back in to it.

11) Favorite synth manufacturer: If not obvious it is Yamaha, but they suck the worst too.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby synthroom » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 pm

Questions:
I was 5 or 6 when Switched-On Bach came out and I was fascinated with the music. So I guess it's Bach's Moog Modular.

2) Your first synth:
Bought with the paycheck from the first job I got right out of college - a Roland JX-3P. Still have it. Still love it.

ARP 2600 - in the late 80s, I picked up a 2600 from a pawn shop. It came with the ARP patchbook and I remember spending many hours sitting on the living room floor putting patches from the book into it. (I was obviously a bachelor at the time...) It even had one called "Frankenstein" that had instructions on how to tweak the sliders around to recreate the sounds from the Edgar Winter song of the same name.

Oberheim Matrix 6R. Bought it from a friend around 1990, but it seemed similar enough to my JX-3P that when combined with having to run that thing through a 2 digit LED display, it wasn't going to be something I was interested in. (The LED panel and the data slider on the JX-3P was way easier to use is the 3P had an image of the PG-300 programmer silk screened right onto the front of its front panel.) I took the M6R back to my friend after the weekend and I traded it back to him for his Yamaha TG-33. At least that had sounds in it that were totally different that synths I already had.

Fairlight IIx. It is really everything people said about it in the 80s - I can see why every top band/producer had one back then.

I've never gigged, but I have hauled the Fairlight from Portland to Seattle twice in the last year. It fills up the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I'm glad I have a friend that likes to be my roadie to help me haul it around.

The Fairlight was the synth I've always wanted to own since about 1985 until I bought it in 2012. Not sure what else I'd be interested in at this point. Synclavier perhaps? I know - not another synth, but the second manual for the Fairlight to get the two layers of keys on it - but those are near impossible to find. Or afford.

8) Your newest synth:
Kurzweil K2600S. A friend of mine used to say how great his K2600 was and I came across on for less than $1000 last year so I got it. It's an impressive synth.

No idea. Depends on what I run into next at a good price. Most likely going to be selling some of the collection to downsize...

My Rev. 1 Prophet 5 has an amazing filter. You could get laser blaster sounds out of it that made it sound like it was tearing the air in the room! Really powerful sounding. Too bad it's been broken for the better part of the last 25 years.

Roland. By far my favorite. Here's some comments on a few of the Rolands I have:

The JX-3P was a great starter synth - $350 used in 1986, and with enough complexity I could make a lot of sounds out of it. I'm so glad I got it instead of a ARP Axxe or Moog Micromoog that were around for cheap in the mid-eighties. And way better than any Juno.

The D-50 - I was sold when I hit patch I-81 (I think) called "Intruder FX". From the digital sounds, to the deep bending of the aftertouch, the built in delay, I had no idea a synth could make sounds like that!

The S-50 - it was no Emulator III, Synclavier, or Fairlight SIII, but it was the closest I figured I'd get to one of those machines. And it's actually not bad sounding for a 12-bit sampler. Combined with the built-in 8-track sequencer, add a mouse and video monitor, and you had pretty much the same thing as a Fairlight IIx. And you got color on the S-50 display as well!

The JD-800 - what a great sound! The strings and other pads are just great. It was a perfect machine for the sounds of the early 90s. And all those sliders are just fantastic!

S-760 - again, the video display and the mouse control make it like a little Fairlight, but more like a SIII than a IIx. Way better then menu diving on a little display. I can see why they were popular with sound track composers - a lot of power and memory in a very small package. In fact, the first S-760 I bought is said to have come from the estate of Basil Poledouris.

JP-8000 - I had one for a few years but sold it to help pay for the Fairlight. It really was the sound of Trance Music (along with the Access Virus) back in the day. I loved the sound of it - it was no modern Jupiter 8, but it stood on it's own.

Jupiter 8 - my favorite actual synth. It's just a monster sounding synth - put it in unison mode and the 16 oscillators will take you over! Great strings too. And I love the layout of it - like the Minimoog and the ARP 2600, the Jupiter 8 front panel is laid out in a row to lead you down the audio path from oscillator to output. The JP-8 is dead easy to program - everything is right there in logical sequence.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Postby abruzzi » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:08 am

Hyde wrote:ASR88...ASR88 ..ENSONIQ SQ1+...ENSONIQ SQ1...ENSONIQ ASR... EPS16... SQR ..Mirage...Ensoniq Obviously....

damn! I have to admit, I've only started getting in ensoniq in the last few years, but, wow, they made some unique stuff. I currently have a ESQ-1, Mirage Rack, EPS16+ Rack, and a DP-4, and they really are something else. I'm jonesing for a TS10 to get the transwaves, hyper waves and polyAT. Would mind a MR Rack as well if I can find a way to edit it.
abruzzi

Postby Percivale » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:27 am

Bet I'd change some of these opinions in future.

1) The synth that made you want to play music: not synths but electronic music from the 80s.

2) Your first synth: could be a VL-1.

3) The synth that has surprised you most: Blofeld

4) The synth that has disappointed you most: Ultranova

5) The synth you love most: all good

6) The synth you've gigged with the most: NA

7) THE synth you really would like to own: RD-2000 or FP-90

8) Your newest synth: Kronos 2

9) The next synth you are going to buy: is this a trick question :D

10) The synth with the best filter: anything with no stepping

11) Favorite synth manufacturer: Roland
Percivale

Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Postby vladimotor » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:46 am

1) The synth that made you want to play music: Bass guitar.

2) Your first synth: Yamaha pss480 :( , first pro keyboard was Korg n364.

3) The synth that has surprised you most: Nord Lead 2, Miniak.

4) The synth that has disappointed you most: Anything by Novation, Korg MicroX, proteus 2000.

5) The synth you love most: I don't love any of them most.

6) The synth you've gigged with the most: Never gigged.

7) THE synth you really would like to own: No idea. Can't pick one or even two. Or three.

8) Your newest synth: Akai Miniak.

9) The next synth you are going to buy: See #7.

10) The synth with the best filter: No idea. Miniak has many types which is great.

11) Favorite synth manufacturer: Access, Nord, DSI... In the past would list Korg, but hate them now for cheap and awful manufacturing. Just garbage.
vladimotor

Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Postby salwa » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:13 pm

1) The synth that made you want to play music: It wasn't synth. After a year of almost non stop listening to Unknown Pleasures and Closer I've bought my first bass guitar.

2) Your first synth: Elektronika EM-25

3) The synth that has surprised you most: Volca Bass. I didn't expected much, but it is fun synth.

4) The synth that has disappointed you most: Roland D10/D110. We didn't understand each other. I bought it twice (first time module, second time keyboard), don't know why. Probably some kind of curse.

5) The synth you love most: Yamaha VSS-200

6) The synth you've gigged with the most: Novation KS rack. But I don't gig much.

7) THE synth you really would like to own: Behringer DeepMind 12. But no way I could afford one.

8) Your newest synth: Yamaha PSS-390

9) The next synth you are going to buy: Probably some cheap (100$ max) digital thing from late 80's. I'm afraid it will be Roland D10.

10) The synth with the best filter: Elektronika EM-25 has very nice self oscillating filter. I mean I use it only for spacey self oscillating whistling noises. Hours of fun.

11) Favorite synth manufacturer: I don't know.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl
salwa

Postby mmp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:01 pm

1) The synth that made you want to play music: I played music before synths became easily available. Jimi Hendrix probably brought me to electronic music, though.

2) Your first synth: MaxiKorg

3) The synth that has surprised you most: Rhodes Chroma

4) The synth that has disappointed you most: Oberheim Xpander. I really wanted to love it. Someone in Boston got a really great deal.

5) The synth you love most: Yamaha VL1, Chroma, & PS3100

6) The synth you've gigged with the most: VL1

7) THE synth you really would like to own: PS3300, Putney, or CS80

8) Your newest synth: 0 Coast

9) The next synth you are going to buy: In selling mode right now

10) The synth with the best filter: Love the Korg Traveller. But, the Chroma sounds great too.

11) Favorite synth manufacturer: Korg, Arp, & MacBeth
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com
mmp

Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Postby ItsMeOnly » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:1) The synth that made you want to play music:

Rhodes Chroma Polaris on "Masters of the Universe".
2) Your first synth:

Vermona Synthesizer

Yamaha TG77 - very expressive and thorough to program.

Casio VZ, to quote myself it was "as if every feature of this synth was only done halfway through when it made to production".

Korg Wavestation, just because it's a breeze to program and it has enormous potential.

Yamaha CS1x went all around Poland and to Germany with me.

Fairlight CMI series III.
8) Your newest synth:

Newest as in latest purchase? Korg 01R/W, newest by age: CS1x

Behringer Deepmind 12 or Korg Minilogue.

Kawai K3m (SSM2044)

That would probably be Yamaha, followed by Korg.
ItsMeOnly

Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Postby Yekuku » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:59 pm

The Roland D50 was a great source of inspiration in my life :)

2) Your first synth:
My first real synth was a roland D50 !

Kawai K5000S, I have not explored additive synthesis very deeply, so this machine tends to surprise me a lot.

Moog Voyager , big disappointments come out of great expectations

Oberheim FVS-1, I am a SEM lover :)

Roland D-50 is the winner here , though it is hardly moved nowadays.

I want a Matrixbrute but I highly doubt that I am getting one , anytime soon.

8) Your newest synth:
I got a Roland VK-09 , not a synth actually...it is vintage though...

I am not allowed to buy anything else

Once again , I am a SEM lover but the LM13600 MS20 filter sounds great too!

If I had to wear a t-shirt with a logo of a synth manufacturer , it would be Roland.
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:59 pm

I was writing music before I had seen or played a synth, but the one that really inspired me was a picture of the ARP 2600.

2) Your first synth:
Roland Juno-106.

Actually, the Minimoog. For years, I rolled my eyes at what I thought had to be hyperbole about what it was like to play one, and how it sounded. Then I bought one.

Moog Minitaur. It had such a great sound, but was plagued by awful glitches.

The closest I can get to answering this question is: vintage: Minimoog, modern: DSI Pro 2.

Korg Prophecy.

Korg PS-3300.

8) Your newest synth:
Korg Monologue.

You know, I don't know that I will buy another synth.

10) The synth with the best [sounding]filter:
R.A. Moog modular.

I can't answer this! :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers