EDIT* thoughts on AKAI 60

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
countrushmore

Re: EDIT* thoughts on AKAI 60

Post by countrushmore » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:25 pm

I love the akai ax60. If you like the demos you have heard, you should know that it is capable of a far wider arsenal of sounds than the demos online have covered. The sound is harsh compared to my other synths. The synth can sound thick and thin.because of its harshness it may not fit what you are looking for. If you can get it for a good price you should grab it. So if it doesn't work for you there is no loss selling it. The arpeggiator is nice, my only problem with the arp is that when you switch presaved sounds it stops the arpreggiator and you have to reenter the sequence.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:13 am

countrushmore wrote:my only problem with the arp is that when you switch presaved sounds it stops the arpreggiator and you have to reenter the sequence.
another thing that a new OS should fix.

joeboy
Gear: ax-80, jx-8p, v-synth, monotribe, ПИФ, tx81z, sy35, tg77

Post by joeboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 pm

I kinda regret getting an AX-80 over a 60. At the time they were both floating around 400 USD and figured the one with more oscillators would automatically be better, not realizing the 60 is a whole lot more interesting.

Now I see them listed for considerably more. I blame OPN.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:31 pm

joeboy wrote:I kinda regret getting an AX-80 over a 60. At the time they were both floating around 400 USD and figured the one with more oscillators would automatically be better, not realizing the 60 is a whole lot more interesting.

Now I see them listed for considerably more. I blame OPN.
The AX80 has it's own uniqueness... but it's a little more typical polysynth of the time... possibly more useful as an only poly over the 60, which isn't a good only poly to have, it really works best along side a beefier 2-osc poly or a more vanilla poly like a Polysix or a JX... It becomes redundant once you have a few CEM polys. It sure does look cool with the led display though.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:16 pm

themilford wrote:Once somebody upgrades the OS/Firmware for CC control of parameters and a few other bells and whistles this thing will have a new life like the P600 and JX3P are enjoying... in the meantime, scoop them up for under $700 when you can.
If you can show me how $700 or higher can ever be justified with an AX-60, other than the fool and his money easily parted argument, I would be impressed. I had one in 1996, purchased for about $150 and got burned out on the entire arpeggiator concept before it was soon replaced with a JX-8P. Only used it in recordings for dark, dull, PWM sounds, but appreciated the midi features it did have and the envelopes were delightfully snappy. Warmer sound than a Alpha Juno, I'll give it that too, but also alot more dull. Trying to tweak the sliders live with the stepping was an embarrassment. It will always be a tenderfoot polysynth, to me: nice for beginners, but there are much better sounding single oscillator budget polysynths and with something like the Deepmind on the way, why shell out for this?
arkotitus wrote:Hey i got a question...why were drum machines so expensive when they came out like (Linndrum, Roland CR-78, Roland TR-808, Fairlight, ETC.) and now i can find some samples of these machines for free? I know the sounds are outdated but still are very effective in new synth pop music and there seems to be a resurrection in vintage music...so not that i'm upset or anything it just surprises me that someone would pay $1500 for a drum machine.
9 times out of 10, if it's an overpriced highly in-demand vintage item, it's because they have heard the machine used in their favorite music that is already tired and old but they still love the music more than life itself, and must own a tactile device to get all their warm fuzzies and be inspired, so nothing but the original will do. I call this phenomenon the "I have this and you don't" syndrome. If everyone had one, it wouldn't seem so special, I reckon. If you don't snatch it up, it will end up in the hands of a collector and just sit on a shelf. The tragedy! :shock: Meanwhile the guy down the street gets a $1300 Octatrack and is still scratching his head trying to figure out how the f**k it works and you realize, "Oh that's right, vintage is so in demand because it sounds good AND is easy to use". At least until you try to integrate it into a 70 track digital mix with perfect sync.
As for why the devices were expensive when new, usually this is attributed to limited mass-produced runs for a niche market, bleeding edge computer technology in a small package and much better build quality than the plastic junk that passes for pro-audio gear these days.

Just use the samples if they work for you. Nobody cares but the artist.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.