Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Music Bird
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.
Location: USA

Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by Music Bird » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:26 pm

I think it's because of cumbia sonidera and Cumbia villera music. They use the staccato heaven and horns a lot. Also probably why the XPs by Roland are expensive (XP-10 and XP-50 anyways).
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:01 am

What the heck is "cumbia sonidera" music? Sounds like a new species.

Music Bird
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.
Location: USA

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by Music Bird » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Those are both kinds of Latino music. Also, the DX7 and M1 are popular over there too in Mexico. And M1 derivatives are big in Argentina for the horn sounds and synth tones. Also popular with the Tejano and norteno (similar to Tejano) music crowd. They use it for horns, bells, and accordion.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

abruzzi
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by abruzzi » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:31 am

Don't know about D50s, but around here (30 miles from the border) M1s sell on Craigslist for $500-$650. It's just a matter of a certain type of working musician finding it perfect for their style of music. Apparently the Z1 and Prophecy is very popular among Armenian musicians looking for an authentic sounding duduk, or something like that.

jxalex
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:05 am
Gear: enough
Location: Sweden

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by jxalex » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:03 pm

"cumbia sonidera and Cumbia villera music" ?!? Very narrowminded thinking, becouse ALL used those patches and these factory presets in the synths.

About DX7, M1, D50. These synth patches are used in almost ALL 80s and early 90s pop music, from rock, jazz and pop and italo disco music. Those were the synths of those times.

What you claim for next? That DX7 is expensive becouse of "BASS 1" preset? ALL use it.
Despite it just had 32 presets and were overused, zillions of tunes were made with that.

But they are more expensive becouse we buy these with eyes. Those who make music, are making real fast nowadays and no vintage synths used, as it is mostly obstacles to them. To them its just a computer and this way it is also more economical as they are not after "this" preset.

User avatar
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 pm
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar
Location: Pgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:32 pm

I think it's expensive because there isn't a direct VST emulation of the D50. Someone tried it and was sued by Roland for using the samples. It's also up there because the keybed is ok.

Programming them is an incredible chore.

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5776
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Prices on early digitals are rising in general because after years of being trashed as sterile and cheesy people have rediscovered their potential. I'm seeing D-50s going for $5-600 used here in New England.

That's still cheap!!! These were close to $2000 when brand new so are nowhere near as inflated as Junos (now selling close to the original price), the SH-101 (selling at twice the original price) or the TB-303 (made of unobtanium).

Same with the DX7 and M1...they just seem to be getting expensive because they used to be available for $200 or so. In reality, they've been underpriced for years.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
tim gueguen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 795
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:31 am
Location: the Canadian Prairies
Contact:

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by tim gueguen » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:36 pm

jxalex wrote:"cumbia sonidera and Cumbia villera music" ?!? Very narrowminded thinking, becouse ALL used those patches and these factory presets in the synths.

About DX7, M1, D50. These synth patches are used in almost ALL 80s and early 90s pop music, from rock, jazz and pop and italo disco music. Those were the synths of those times.
But what Music Bird is talking about is the continued popularity of those sounds in some genres in 2017. People in Canada for example generally aren't looking around for Korg M1s to use its piano for dance music, and paying a premium for them. A local pawnshop has an M1 in a roadcase for 350 dollars, and it has sat there for months. But this isn't the first time someone has asked if certain Latin American styles might be helping to boost prices for late '80s digital instruments.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

User avatar
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers
Location: Exton/ westchester

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:57 am

Jabberwalky wrote:I think it's expensive because there isn't a direct VST emulation of the D50. Someone tried it and was sued by Roland for using the samples. It's also up there because the keybed is ok.

Programming them is an incredible chore.
It's no chore if you have a decent editor, and a basic understanding of the synth's architecture. It's just not the twiddle playground you get with a Juno 60 or Minimoog - but then that's why it's fun to have both! And hey, it could be worse: the Fizmo doesn't even let you access many of its features without using software!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

blueknob
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:30 pm
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122
Location: England, UK

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by blueknob » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:36 am

"twiddle playground".. :lol: I've learnt a new phrase. I though it was just me who liked to twiddle knobs :oops: Joking apart though, it seems a part of the pleasure we get from synths is the emotional feedback we get from the loop: synth-knob-hand-sound-ear-brain-hand-synth etc.

Interesting too are the observations about different cultures seeking sounds which give rise to specific synths, although I thought that syndrome (or syndrum maybe) was the domain of us Brits. I know there is some synth fetish going on in the US but thought it was not as intense as here (UK). So to hear about synth fetish in Mexico etc. is interesting, maybe a topic for another post.

I also like the reference to "unobtainium". I never got the fascination with the TB606, last I saw the prices were £600+ and so on. It comes as no surprise the D50 is going the same way. The more it gets raved about the asking prices will increase. I notice the old Akai AX60 series are the current darlings.

jxalex
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:05 am
Gear: enough
Location: Sweden

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by jxalex » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:18 am

Jabberwalky wrote:I think it's expensive because there isn't a direct VST emulation of the D50. Someone tried it and was sued by Roland for using the samples. It's also up there because the keybed is ok.

Programming them is an incredible chore.

haha, if just samples, then I wonder .. how come that all the samples and SRJV expansion boards are sold as CDs on e-bay over 10 years, however in the Roland product document it is said that it is not allowed to sell this way.

User avatar
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 pm
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar
Location: Pgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:03 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote:I think it's expensive because there isn't a direct VST emulation of the D50. Someone tried it and was sued by Roland for using the samples. It's also up there because the keybed is ok.

Programming them is an incredible chore.
It's no chore if you have a decent editor, and a basic understanding of the synth's architecture. It's just not the twiddle playground you get with a Juno 60 or Minimoog - but then that's why it's fun to have both! And hey, it could be worse: the Fizmo doesn't even let you access many of its features without using software!
I see where you're coming from, but I gave it a solid chance. I had the editor and the PG1000. I knew the architecture. For my workflow, it just ended up being a constant speed bump. I'd much rather program a Dx7!

You've also got to admit that 99% of people that use D50's never veer off the presets. I find it hilarious that s**t like Staccato heaven could be the catalyst for entire genres!

jxalex
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:05 am
Gear: enough
Location: Sweden

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by jxalex » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:47 pm

meatballfulton wrote: That's still cheap!!! These were close to $2000 when brand new so are nowhere near as inflated as Junos (now selling close to the original price), the SH-101 (selling at twice the original price) or the TB-303 (made of unobtanium).

Same with the DX7 and M1...they just seem to be getting expensive because they used to be available for $200 or so. In reality, they've been underpriced for years.
Oh yeah, so everything would be ok to sell with 20 year old prices? I guess it
clearly depends on where from are someone and where they are for sale and if the seller really wants to sell or get money for the instruments. Also it depends where the customer is living.
So, what about the Prophet-600 which cost 600GBP about 10 years ago? ;-) And MKS-80 rack which was buynow price 1400 GBP? Underpriced certainly?

However I may argue about this issue - price. It really depends what they put inside the synthesizer!
It may be ok, for such old synthesizer items, as their quality back on 80s are top notch compared to what is produced now.
I accept that the Prophet 5 costs over 2000 EUR, but not that DSI Prophet 6 costs similar price, as the nowadays production is really not up to standard on most items.

HalloweenJack
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:14 pm
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1 card, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey module, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Jabberwalky wrote: Programming them is an incredible chore.
I don't have the D50, I have the VC1 card for the V Synth instead, and I have to say that editing is easier, all the parameters are clearly visible from the large display of the V Synth, the lay out is "graphical" and intuitive...and it's also possible to tweak some parameters while playing with the V Synth knobs =D>

Some say that the sounds and filter of the VC1 card is a little different from the original, personally I don't care, the added waveforms, the easier programming and the hands on editing/tweakability with the V Synth knobs imho are worth the price you have to pay for the VC1 card (the card here in Europe costs as much as the real thing)...anyway I've never been a purist, I'd love to have the possibility to use the V Synth arpeggiator with the VC1/D50, I don't understand why Roland was so "conservative"...

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:49 pm

There is a complete editor called SysexD50 out there. It hasn't been updated in years but it works fine. Lets you edit every parameter with nice graphics and all. Doesn't edit in realtime due to the way MIDI works in the D-50, so you edit something then "send" to the synth. It also makes it super easy to swap out soundbanks and save to computer. And there's thousands of sounds and banks in big zip files on internet.

Post Reply