Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Have you noticed Roland D50 being so expensive?

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:32 pm

D50 Librarian is free, and lets you edit in real time. It's pretty nice too.

squatski

Post by squatski » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:04 pm

just wait for a "broken" one, that's what I did :D got it cheap and fixed it.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:20 am

Music Bird wrote:I think it's because of cumbia sonidera and Cumbia villera music. They use the staccato heaven and horns a lot. Also probably why the XPs by Roland are expensive (XP-10 and XP-50 anyways).

I don't play Latin music, but I know of a few guys who do. They ususally use Korg M1 or similar ROMplers. I haven't heard demand for the D-50 nor have I seen it in their setups, but...Exhibit A:

People want certain sound from a machine. Not a crime. This is no different than people GASsing for a TB-303 to make acid house/techno back in the day.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Of course. The first thing I'll try on a Synthex is the Laserharp sound. The first thing I'll try on a CS-80 would be the "bladerunner" sound, even though that relies on reverb to get right.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:23 pm

I've seen quite a few D50s for sale that specifically mention the Latin sound card being included, so I think there's definitely something to the idea that a certain genre covets that combo.

I someday hope to be the inventor of a genre that fetishizes an otherwise uninteresting piece of vintage gear. "Bro, I can't believe you scored an Alesis Nanoverb for under $500. It's the only way to get that future dub 'verb grain!"

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Scrolling through Ebay, I actually think they're exactly the same price they were when I was looking for one years ago. I got a good deal from a forum member on one that had a little wear, but was otherwise pretty good, so of you're patient, they do come up
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:
You've also got to admit that 99% of people that use D50's never veer off the presets. I find it hilarious that s**t like Staccato heaven could be the catalyst for entire genres!
Yeah. I spend a lot of time in partner dancing, and there are a number of dance genres that have a rather specific genre of music that goes with them. (The ultimate in this sort of thing is paso doble, for which there are basically two songs you can dance it to properly.) So it doesn't surprise me all that much.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:08 am

I got my D-50 for free :D It was the result of a bet with the owner of the secondhand shop I frequented, he bet that I couldn't hold the synth above my head for 5 minutes. If I could, I'd get it for free (he'd had it sitting there for years and was probably tired of de-dusting the joystick). I made it, but he had to help me get it down, was a tiring ordeal. But well worth it.

I've had some fun times just diving into the engine and program sounds completely from scratch. But I always tend to stick to the "analog" waveforms, the digital stuff is just too vast. Also I have thousands of presets and soundbanks at hand at any time due to huge ZIP archives from internet.

Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Post by Music Bird » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:04 am

I was specifically talking about the D50 with Latin cards. I already know the Korg M1 and its derivatives are used in that kind of music. I think it has something to do with the M1 tenor sax/trumpets and several synth tones from the N364 (but also the accordions and horns and piano, I have an album by an Argentine group and I hear M1 type of tones everywhere from this synth and an XP10 that is used for a guitar type of preset) and X5D.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 am

Got mine off eBay in 2011, prices were around 200-300€ back then with a few more expensive ones that noone would buy. Now 400-500€ seems to be the default, so almost twice as much. Glad I got it in time. Too bad that these people making latin music won't need our custom memory cards... :D
Maybe they should buy this instead: https://www.rolandcloud.com/instruments ... ology-1987
From the looks and description it seems like it's perfect for anyone that needs something that vaguely resembles the original D-50 presets, but it's useless for anyone who wants to use the D-50 beyond its presets.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:33 am

elsongs wrote:
Music Bird wrote:I think it's because of cumbia sonidera and Cumbia villera music. They use the staccato heaven and horns a lot. Also probably why the XPs by Roland are expensive (XP-10 and XP-50 anyways).

I don't play Latin music, but I know of a few guys who do. They ususally use Korg M1 or similar ROMplers. I haven't heard demand for the D-50 nor have I seen it in their setups, but...Exhibit A:
You guys would not believe how expensive a Korg N364 is in Peru (apparently because of some genre-specific preset as well).
I got my Minimoog for about the same as the asking price of a N364. :? :lol:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Sure, it's always more convenient to just buy the keyboard with "that factory sound" rather than creating it on another synth and not getting it right.

People buy OB-8's only to play the Jump brass afterall.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:13 am

ʝɵʝɵ wrote:Maybe they should buy this instead: https://www.rolandcloud.com/instruments ... ology-1987

From the looks and description it seems like it's perfect for anyone that needs something that vaguely resembles the original D-50 presets, but it's useless for anyone who wants to use the D-50 beyond its presets.
I love how Roland claims it wasn't just the D50 sound that made it popular, but its fantastic, easy-to-use layout.

:lol:

Maybe I'm just dense, but I think programming the D50 is pretty arcane. Okay, maybe easier than the very popular DX7, but c'mon... what isn't?

24db
Gear: OSC OSCar, Korg Triton, MS-20, TR-909, Moog Prodigy, SH-101, OP-X Pro-II, OP-1, Roland D-50, H3000B, JP-8080, StudioLive 16.4.2, Minilogue,

Post by 24db » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:58 am

Rasputin wrote:
ʝɵʝɵ wrote:Maybe they should buy this instead: https://www.rolandcloud.com/instruments ... ology-1987

I love how Roland claims it wasn't just the D50 sound that made it popular, but its fantastic, easy-to-use layout.

:lol:

Maybe I'm just dense, but I think programming the D50 is pretty arcane. Okay, maybe easier than the very popular DX7, but c'mon... what isn't?
Ain't it the truth. Oh, and if you think the PG-1000 will make your life easier, it wont. In fact I have one for sale, for that exact reason.

On the OP topic, I don't agree, you still see them for way under $500 on Craigs list here in LA, and I just sold one one of my D-50s with a cosmetic defect for $350.

YMMV
OSCar, KK S49, Korg MS-20, TR-909, Prodigy, SH-101, OP-X Pro-II,OP-1, D-50, Triton, H3000B, JP-8080, StudioLive 16.4.2, R-8, Minilogue, Kubicki Factor Bass, more always coming and going....

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:55 pm

It's not THAT awful to program, the D-50 is basically 4 separate 1-oscillator polysynths in one. Each separate "synth" (part in roland languange) has its own envelopes, lfo, filter and waveforms. When they interact you get up to 4 oscillator sounds. It's a beautiful thing. The interface itself is of course menu driven but it makes sense. And there are shortcut buttons all over the panel to jump between parts while programming another part. Plus you use the joystick for data input, not an increment/decrement button (although it's there for fine tuning). You can also edit filter/envelopes for all 4 parts at once.

One of my first homemade patches was a 4-oscillator unison saw lead sound that I still keep around. It sounds awesome. The saw wave in the D-50 sounds unique, so deep and fat. It's shaped more like a shark fin than a sawtooth when you measure it.

I think the PG-1000 was necessary for those old musicians that MUST have sliders or won't touch the programming.
but not for me.

If you wanna hear the D-50 alot, listen to Jean-Michel Jarre's Revolutions album (1988), it has the D-50 everywhere, from light strings to lead sounds to huge bass. It was his "D-50 album". He tended to focus on one specific synth as his interests were triggered. Zoolook is "The Fairlight CMI album", Oxygene is the "Eminent 301 album", Rendez-vous is the Elka Synthex album.
I have a soundbank featuring all the Revolutions sounds, there's alot more than you'd think when you just listen to the songs. Some are iconic, some very subtle. These are all D-50 sounds, almost none are factory presets. The opening bell sequence (Clockworks) is a short loop played in two octaves at once. The D-50 has no multisamples so one octave down means half speed on the sample loops. You hear it again at the end played on the lowest keys plus pitchbending.

The big strings sound is called Machine Run. The solo sound at 02:44 is called Gritarrrr2 it's 3-layered, mostly pure sawtooth, and a "gritty" PCM wave on another Part, plus a tiny "ch" sample on the attack portion. That solo part made me practice over and over for days to replicate it when I was a kid on my Technics organ.