Korg Prophecy as a controller

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Korg Prophecy as a controller

Postby abruzzi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:35 pm

I'm considering getting a Prophecy, primarily as a master controller for a mobile setup. My experience of modern, controller only keyboards is their build quality is pretty terrible. In addition I'd like something with a decent array of performance oriented controls, something that knobs and sliders don't get for me. Has anyone used a Prophecy this way? Any better options (small, with real MIDI, full sized keys, but not too big)?
abruzzi

Re: Korg Prophecy as a controller

Postby zukskywalker » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:59 am

I'm no pro but IMHO you're in for quite the ride. As a mono synth it's quite the little old beastie unto itself.
As a controller there's just 37 keys but it's got great articulation via a nice and spongy keyboard aftertouch and the ribbon log can be quite useful.
Good hunting!
zukskywalker

Re: Korg Prophecy as a controller

Postby abruzzi » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:15 am

zukskywalker wrote:I'm no pro but IMHO you're in for quite the ride. As a mono synth it's quite the little old beastie unto itself.
As a controller there's just 37 keys but it's got great articulation via a nice and spongy keyboard aftertouch and the ribbon log can be quite useful.
Good hunting!

Yeah, I'm not buying it for the synth sounds, but it can sound quite nice. I have a Z1 which is very close, but not exactly the same engine. My main goal was a small 37-49 keyboard with a good set of performance controls to pair with my emu command station and a few other rack synth to make a small computerless setup for composing. I like the idea of the "log" though I don't know how responsive or controllable it is.
abruzzi

Return to General Synthesizers