Can anyone identify this acid synth? Genaside 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sw_hunt
Gear: Moog Voyager
Korg Kronos
Korg Oddysey x 2
Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard
Arturia V Collection

Can anyone identify this acid synth? Genaside 2

Post by sw_hunt » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Sounds Japanese to me...maybe an MS20, SH-0x or 303?

Thanks

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: Can anyone identify this acid synth? Genaside 2

Post by Zamise » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:33 pm

It is very characteristic of 303, likely some sort of clone of some sort and there are many, because it sounds too clean to be an actual 303 to me. There is also some delay/echo on top of it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

philip

Post by philip » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Why the 303 is so expensive? So small box, and the price is just ridiculous, 2.5-3k

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Zamise wrote:It is very characteristic of 303, likely some sort of clone of some sort and there are many, because it sounds too clean to be an actual 303 to me. There is also some delay/echo on top of it.
It's true, there are many clones. If you keep the master volume down you can get a cleaner sound out if it than with the volume all the way up. It's not inconceivable that it's real, especially with the bubbly resonance, but who knows what clones could get a sound like that. The melody would take some clever programming on the actual device. And also who knows what it's processed with, or equalized, whether the transients have been worked on, etc. It is certianly a 303 style sound and melody though, at the very least.
philip wrote:Why the 303 is so expensive? So small box, and the price is just ridiculous, 2.5-3k
Really?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:56 pm

They contain biomimetic gel.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:43 am

I'm going with one of the clones. Good luck figuring out which one. When my 303 has this tone where accent is down, it sounds more uh, throaty, if that makes any sense. And yes the one in the clip sounds cleaner.
philip wrote:Why is the 303 is so expensive? So small a box, and the price is just ridiculous, 2.5-3k
So you can more quickly give up on the ridiculous sequencer and just let its quirks do the rest. All the clones "fix" the sequencer so you can make sensible music with it and don't quite nail the quirks. That and the original 1983 Roland parts thing. I got mine for $700. They aren't always over $1k. Marc and Alex E will say they are always overpriced.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.