Akai AX73 | VX90 Patches (Factory or Otherwise)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Akai AX73 | VX90 Patches (Factory or Otherwise)

Postby Rasputin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:22 am

Since I've been fiddling with this Akai series lately, I thought I'd post all the cassette tape dumps I have for the Akai AX73 / VX90 machines.

This first bank is the one that I suspect is actually the factory presets, although I can't be 100% sure. I don't have a way to verify it is untouched, but it seems the most consistent.

Tape 1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VDu ... 05IT3dhWnM

This second bank is closely related to the first bank, presumably with a few custom banks loaded at the front but few other alterations.

Tape 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VDu ... WZRNjdfVEU

The third and fourth banks I can't speak to, although they seem to have some patches in common with the suspected factory banks.

Tape 3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VDu ... m9iRS1MZ2M

Tape 4: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VDu ... TVCT1B2ZzQ

If anyone has any more insight or cassette dumps to share then please do. I'm working on a project and would like as many Akai patches from this era as possible--AX80, AX60, AX73, VX90, etc.
Rasputin

Re: Akai AX73 | VX90 Patches (Factory or Otherwise)

Postby lifeinart » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:41 am

Thanks!
lifeinart

Postby MomoMusic » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Rasputin,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I recently picked up a VX90, great shape and love it so far. I found your last post with links for the factory sounds/custom sounds that can be loaded via tape in. I tried to load them but unfortunately they all are unsuccessful. I get a message reading "TAPE:LOAD ERROR" when I attempt to load them.

I did some troubleshooting by sending my presets via Tape Out, which worked fine. I then loaded them back via Tape In and it was successful, so I know my VX90 is sending and receiving the tape dump properly.

I did notice that two of the four files you posted were stereo and the other two mono. I don't know ifs makes a difference or not.

Were you able to load those files that you posted links to succesfully? If so, can you explain what I may be doing wrong? I'm wondering if it's a gain/input volume issue.

Also, do you know of any other sound patches available?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated! Image
MomoMusic

Postby Rasputin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:51 pm

MomoMusic wrote:I did some troubleshooting by sending my presets via Tape Out, which worked fine. I then loaded them back via Tape In and it was successful, so I know my VX90 is sending and receiving the tape dump properly.

I did notice that two of the four files you posted were stereo and the other two mono. I don't know ifs makes a difference or not.

Were you able to load those files that you posted links to succesfully? If so, can you explain what I may be doing wrong? I'm wondering if it's a gain/input volume issue.

Also, do you know of any other sound patches available?

I've never (unfortunately) owned an AX73/VX90 so I haven't properly tested those patches, however, I did write a Tape Dump encoder/decoder application and was able to get those sounds to decode.

I suspect it is a gain issue. Try loading your successful tape dump into a DAW or sound editor and then load the others and adjust the waveforms to approximately match the successful tape dump. They only need to be mono, so any that are stereo have probably been automatically converted by SoundCloud or somebody else at some point.

Worst case scenario, I can decode them and then re-encode them as pure WAV files. This would eliminate any possible audio quality problems.

And no... no one else has been willing to post any other sound patches for the AX-series here (so far as I've seen).
Rasputin

Return to General Synthesizers