Roland Jx-3p dead key

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Leozeit

Roland Jx-3p dead key

Post by Leozeit » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:22 am

I opened it and cleaned it but still coundnt get it to work. I noticed that trace/track looks damaged as you can see on the picture. Is that what I need to fix? If so, how?

Leozeit

Re: Roland Jx-3p dead key

Post by Leozeit » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:30 am

Hubaswift

Post by Hubaswift » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:43 am

If that's the key that doesn't work, then it'd definitely be the issue. You can either carefully sand/scrape off the green soldermask and solder on a jumper over the broken trace, or install a jumper wire. Just make sure the wire doesn't interfere with the key.

Leozeit

Post by Leozeit » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:00 am

Thanks! So I solder on a wire that's separate from the solder I use? Or do I just try to melt my solder down the trace? Sorry lol I'm a newb. But excited to learn. And also whatever soldering I do, do I start from the beginning and end of the damage or more of the trace?

Hubaswift

Post by Hubaswift » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:25 am

It would be best to use something like a small clipped-off resistor lead and solder that over the gap. I would go a bit past the part that is damaged to make sure it gets a good connection as the solder probably won't take to the part of the trace that may be corroded. You'll probably want to find some needle-nose pliers to hold the small wire in place while you solder it.