DIY Midi-CV/Gate Converter

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Tchammosaur

DIY Midi-CV/Gate Converter

Post by Tchammosaur » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:59 am

Since I don't have a modular and am not particularly impressed by the standalone solutions for Midi-CV/G conversion (not cheap), I was looking into DIY converters and found this one:
https://github.com/elkayem/midi2cv
Looks decently robust.
If anyone has advice from similar projects, let me know.
I used to have a small box from this maker DINSYNC or something, but it seems he stopped making them.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: DIY Midi-CV/Gate Converter

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:50 pm

The schematics and building instructions for the pAiA MIDI/CV converter are available online. You can also buy a kit of the circuit board and all components except the power supply.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:12 am

Not impressed by the Kenton Pro Solo mark 3? Has CV, gate/ trig and 3 aux CV outputs, includes and ADSR and an LFO and more portamento options than any single keyboard. The mark 1 with my Yamaha CS-5 was superb- velocity to filter and the LFO on vibrato freed up the Yamaha's LFO for more fun stuff, and the portamento was way better. It actually made the synth even more musical and was super reliable.

Tchammosaur

Post by Tchammosaur » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:26 am

@madtheory Looks like a solid device, but 2 bills for a converter seems a bit much for my purpose. I guess I was hoping for more minimal MIDI-CV solutions these days, especially with all the new retro equipment out.
@meatball Looks very detailed, thanks.

I ended up going with this semi-DIY board as a compromise between cost & effort.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Fair enough. That's a neat little unit. I personally couldn't do without velocity and portamento though. With the LFO and the ADSR, the Kenton is like a modular expansion for any synth, which makes it very good value for money I think.