MIXING- Very basic help needed

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
dawnmist studio
Gear: Radias
JP8080 & 8000
Supernova II
Fantom XR
DX7fdII
Roland D10, W30
M-Audio Keystation
Korg M1 r
Microsorex Synth
Reason Software
Cubase Light DAW

MIXING- Very basic help needed

Post by dawnmist studio » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 am

Hiy.
I am thinking of buying my first professional mixer and it looks like an Alto Live 2404 is the one I am thinking of getting.
I have only ever used an old homemade mixer that was made for me 20 years ago so it was simple but lacked the kind of things you get on shop-bought mixers.

What I need to do is buy a mixer then I need to be able to play music (from my main studio recording suite) which is already recorded and while that is playing record some new music to go with it. What I do not want to do is record the music I am listening to, just what I am playing. How would you do this on a usual mixer? Would you plug in the music you are listening to through one of the main channel inputs or into the aux inputs? I assume the sound would be heard through my main speakers same as with all the synths I will be plugging in but how do I stop it from being recorded again?

Sorry its such a simple question but reply would be helpful thanks.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Re: MIXING- Very basic help needed

Post by gcoudert » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:49 am

Will you be recording onto the same device that the pre-recorded music is played from?
If so, I think you'd be better off transferring your pre-recorded stuff onto a few tracks of your recording device (DAW, DAT, multi-track tape). Can you describe your recording set-up?
GC

dawnmist studio
Gear: Radias
JP8080 & 8000
Supernova II
Fantom XR
DX7fdII
Roland D10, W30
M-Audio Keystation
Korg M1 r
Microsorex Synth
Reason Software
Cubase Light DAW

Post by dawnmist studio » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Yes, the device I use is a one-off creation which was made for me. It records while playing back previously recorded tracks, all digital. I have many thousands of tracks on it and within each song up 100 tracks. It might be best if I ask the person who made it as I think it was mentioned that there needs to be no looping back in the circuitry which could be why I never bought a usual mixer.

At the moment I have it rigged up so that I have 7 hardware synths playing all at the same time plus music coming from my computer from Reason software which is mainly my drums. All these go into my homemade mixer, then what ever is sounding is recorded digitally into this unique one off recording studio device which while recording is also playing back earlier mixes of the song I am working on so I am laying down new tracks live while listening to pre recorded tracks all on the same device. I guess it will be impossible for me to describe how this studio works when I do not really know myself :-)

But my main reason for asking my question was because I feared there might be problems if I bought a mixer from a shop.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:03 am

How similar is what you're describing to the Tascam DP 32SD (or similar devices)?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi Heather,

I don't have an Alto Live 2404, but from looking at pictures of the thing I think there are several ways to do what you want. The easiest is probably to
- connect the outs of your recording device to the 2 TRACK IN on the Alto
- connect the 7 synths and computer to the regular inputs of the mixer
- in the 'CONTROL ROOM SOURCE' section press the 'MAIN MIX' and '2TK IN' buttons
- make sure the '2TK TO MAIN' is not pressed otherwise you would get that feedback issue
- connect the mixer's main outs to the recording device ins
- connect the mixer's 'CTRL OUT' to your amp and speakers
- use the '2 TRK LEVEL' knob to adjust the level of the tracks that are playing back from the recording device

You can also use the subs to route your signals in a similar way.

Hope this helps,
Tidda