How record MIDI from Roland JU06?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

How record MIDI from Roland JU06?

Postby Vrakulven » Sun May 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi,

New to the forum and this is my first post.
Just got my JU06 and I´ve been trying to record the MIDI, but I just can´t get it to work. Does anyone know ho to do it and if it´s even possible?
I would be so grateful if someone skilled person could help me with a step-by-step guide. :)

I use a PC with Windows 10, Cubase Artist 8 and Presonus FP10 and a Axiom 25 MIDI keyboard.
Thanks in advance!
Vrakulven

Re: How record MIDI from Roland JU06?

Postby fh991586 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:30 pm

I'm not a Cubase user, but this is where the midi recording would happen (whatever hardware synth you're plugged in). You need to learn how this program works. Have you googled the words "Cubase midi recording"? This would be a great start if you don't intend to read the Cubase's instruction manual...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Gear for Sale: Roland M-OC1, M-BD1
fh991586

Gear: Roland Juno 106, JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
TherapSid

Postby gcoudert » Sat May 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Does the JU06 even output MIDI data other than overflow data in chain mode? Not sure, just a thought...
GC
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Postby meatballfulton » Sat May 27, 2017 10:44 pm

From the SoundonSound review:

Apart from a standard MIDI implementation chart (which tells you very little) Roland have not documented what the Boutique synths do with MIDI CCs or SysEx. So here are some conclusions that I reached through a lot of experimentation, many of which have since been confirmed by Roland Europe.

Perhaps most obviously, none of the front–panel controls on these synths generate or respond to MIDI CCs, which precludes control using the knobs and faders that adorn most modern MIDI controllers. Less obviously, none of their sequencers send MIDI notes or generate MIDI Clock when playing, nor do their sequencers, LFOs or delays synchronise to incoming MIDI Clock. I suspect that the reason behind this is technological; either the ACB sound engine is already stressing the CPU and additional features may not have been possible without cutting corners elsewhere, or the development had reached its limit in terms of time and cost. Nonetheless, there is hope. Apparently, if you switch on Chain Mode, SysEx is sent via the five–pin DIN connector, and SysEx messages should also be received at either the five–pin DIN or the USB sockets, whether Chain Mode is On or Off. In principle, therefore, it should be possible to write editors for each of the synths. This happened when Roland published the SysEx specification for the Aira TB3, converting it from a largely preset bass synth into something much more flexible. So it would be disappointing if something similar didn’t happen in relation to the Boutique synths if and when the next firmware revision comes along. Whether this would also include synchronisation is another question because, if their processors are truly ‘maxed out’, this may not be possible. That would be a shame both for us and for Roland because, without MIDI Sync, the market for the Boutique synths is going to be smaller than the company would otherwise hope. Fingers crossed...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:45 pm

a lot of the midi spec for the Boutiques changes with a firm ware revision right after release that made the knobs send midi.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Return to Sound Production