a synthesizer sounds production question

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

a synthesizer sounds production question

Postby jpeek345 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm

In the realm of signature synthesizer sounds ....classics and soon-to-be classics alike (eg. Moog, Arp, Prophet)...
is there an actual equal-but-opposite sound...perhaps a mathematical carbon copy of a customized synth sound... THAT CAN be used for an ear-training, valuable perspective on the production of the (virtual) synthesizer brand?
I imagine a program that exists that will "recreate" an equal but analytical opposite...a swatch (like graphic artists use) so that not only can you even use that recreation in its quality but you can get to your original goal which is to hear "what is not" in order to significantly influence "what I just made" (with this virtual instrument)
and to sonically impact "what this could REALLY be".

I have the phBB notify by email option checked on my post which will be indefinte.

Eternally grateful,

J.W. Peek
jpeek345

Re: a synthesizer sounds production question

Postby ItsMeOnly » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Can you rephrase the question into something less convoluted? It reads like you were high on something when you wrote it... Anyway, certain sounds are results of a specific characteristics (often electronic signal path) of a synthesizer, so there won't be equal-but-opposite way to recreate it, if that's what you're asking. You will have a hard time to emulate moog-type transistor ladder filter with a different design. You sort of can interchange FM with sufficiently complex additive synthesis, but that is basically it.
ItsMeOnly

Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Postby jpeek345 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Hello,

Perhaps I should have set the title of my post as "a 'virtual' synthesizer sounds production question".

I found your comment "U will have a hard time to emulate moog-type transistor ladder filter with a different design." to be interesting but I thought we could talk about Virtual Vintage Synths.

My apology for that.

I suppose I'll present my question about customized plug-ins at a virtual vintage synth forum.
jpeek345

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:13 am

are you asking if you can train your ear to tell the difference, using a VST? maybe... the best set of models for vintage synths that you can get together is probably Diva.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Diva is a great emulation but it still is limited to only a few (admittedly classic) synths: MiniMoog, MS20, Jupiter 8, Alpha Juno, JP-8000 (oscillator only), Oberheim SEM (filter only). If your idea is to find a "universal" emulator, no such thing exists (yet). There are many VSTs that emulate individual synths, with results of varying quality. Pretty much no emulation will give you the accuracy of matching the knob position on the screen to the knob position on the real hardware, especially when doing complex modulations.

Have you read Synth Secrets over at Sound on Sound? As part of the tutorials, the author goes in depth about how to create similar sounds on different synths. That will give you insight in how to approach recreating sounds on whatever synth you have at hand.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby bangerlab » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:57 am

Arturia has some great synth emulations, did you have the chance to try them? :?:
bangerlab

Band: BangerLab.com

Return to Sound Production