Tube amps, no aux-in or headset-out!

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Tube amps, no aux-in or headset-out!

Postby Wines » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 am

I'm about to get my first all tube guitar amp which has neither of these useful extra ports. I need to hear both the backing track and the guitar "as output by the amp" https://waveadvice.com/tube-amp-heads-buyers-guide/ while recording only the latter (the BT gets recombined after). How do some of you do this?
Last edited by Wines on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wines

Re: Tube amps, no aux-in or headset-out!

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Recording to what, computer, hardware recorder?

You go retro: mike the amp's speaker, listen through headphones connected to the recorder playing the mix of backing track and guitar together. If you need to record silently, then you have a problem ;)

The reason most tube amps lack the connections is because it would require additional solid state circuitry to do so.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Tube amps, no aux-in or headset-out!

Postby ninja6485 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:52 pm

Yup. We used to mic the amp, arm the track the mic was connected to, then listen to everything through headphones.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Return to Sound Production