Forget Firewire Mixers... I need a new FW interface with...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Forget Firewire Mixers... I need a new FW interface with...

Post by JSRockit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:51 pm

My metric halo UNL-2 has only two ins and is not working for me anymore. However, the two ins it has are quality...especially for mics. However, I need more than two ins these days due to my new found love for hardware. So, I'm looking at the MOTU Ultralite or RME 400? However, I don't know how good their mic pres are or if I will need a seperate mic pre to get up to par with my ULN-2?

Disregard Original Post (Does anyone have experience with these types of mixers? Something like the mackie Onyx or the Alesis stuff? I could use a new mixer and the firewire option (or even USB) is very appealing.)
Last edited by JSRockit on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:13 pm

I had an Alesis Multimix 8 for a couple of months. It seemed to have a loop problem or something that caused it to be noisy when connected to a computer. I sold it for less than a quarter of what I paid for it.
Also, I the Alesis USB mixers only send a L/R feed to the computer. They're not quite the melding of USB multi channel audio interfaces and mixers, more like the the melding of a mixer and a sound card.

According to my reading, the Onyx can send each independent channel to the computer simultaneously via a firewire OPTION. I'm not sure if that gets you anywhere. You'll need a firewire connection on your computer and an additional device to spend more of your hard earned clams on.
If you have the money and are looking for a multracking mixer for your 'puter, I'd say Onyx. If you already have a mixer and a high quality sound card, the Alesis is, at best, a lateral move. Depending on your mixer and sound card, it could even be a move in the opposite direction as far as quality goes.

BTW, the built in effects on the Alesis Multimix suck.
EMX-1, ESX-1, MS2000R, Radias-R, XV2020, KS4, BassStation Rack, Live 6

Visit my music page on MySpace!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:21 pm

Don't bother, it's just gearlust. The metric halo kills any of the mixers with an interface. If you really want something better, look at a Midas, Trident or TL Audio desk to use with the interface you already have.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:49 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Don't bother, it's just gearlust. The metric halo kills any of the mixers with an interface. If you really want something better, look at a Midas, Trident or TL Audio desk to use with the interface you already have.
No gear lust here... I don't get into this type of stuff... however, I bought the two channel metric halo unit back when i did most of my stuff in computer and only needed the mic pres. Now, I'm needing more ins... or a mixer that doesn't sound like c**p... which I think my soundcraft compact 10 does. The problem is that I don't want a big mixer...I do not have the room...but I do want an above average mixer for recording. The other alternative is to get something like the Motu Ultralite or RME 400... that will give me more ins...and bypass the mixer in the recording stage.

kk994

Post by kk994 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:28 pm

I use the Ultralite... no complaints. Very stable with great fast drivers. Super tiny and portable and you can daisychain several of them to get higher track counts....

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:51 pm

kk994 wrote:I use the Ultralite... no complaints. Very stable with great fast drivers. Super tiny and portable and you can daisychain several of them to get higher track counts....
Are the Mic preamps decent or good? or would I need to buy something like the FMR audio RNP?

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:54 pm

alesis makes new multimix mixers that are firewire, and send to all channells not just the stereo output like the old USB ones.
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams....

Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-1, Microkorg, Boss DR-110, Yamaha RX5, Korg ER1, Casio MT70, MT68, EP30,SK1, Alesis HR16, Akai S1000, Reason, Guitars, Basses, Mandolin

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:55 pm

Yeti wrote:alesis makes new multimix mixers that are firewire, and send to all channells not just the stereo output like the old USB ones.
But the quality seems to be suspect... unfortunately.

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:00 pm

i use the Presonus Inspire to record stuff into Cubase, and it works really really well for my needs. but alot of times i record on an external tape mixer, mix it all down and then run it into the Presonus so i can master it in Cubase and burn it to cd. The Presonus stuff is solid, so if you want multiple inputs so you save all the tracks in your software, there is the Firepod...its 8 inputs i believe.

Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-1, Microkorg, Boss DR-110, Yamaha RX5, Korg ER1, Casio MT70, MT68, EP30,SK1, Alesis HR16, Akai S1000, Reason, Guitars, Basses, Mandolin

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:51 pm

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to record an MPC, a bass synth, and another synth....all sequenced via MIDI... to seperate tracks in Logic...at the same time.

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:56 pm

then the firepod will do it for you......perhaps even the firebox which is a bit cheaper. all good solid quality firewire interfaces.

daishan1981

Post by daishan1981 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:47 pm

How about that Focusrite one? What's it called again, the Saffire or something? I'd suspect the mic preamps on that to be of quite good quality.

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:03 pm

JS -

a good friend of mine has the metric halo unit you own with an additional metric halo 8 in unit slaved to it..

10 ins of MH quality, plus the 8 in unit has DSP for running their channel strip plug

tiger lets you address both units separately for routing purposes if you want to patch external fx, etc.

kk994

Post by kk994 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:06 pm

JSRockit wrote:
kk994 wrote:I use the Ultralite... no complaints. Very stable with great fast drivers. Super tiny and portable and you can daisychain several of them to get higher track counts....
Are the Mic preamps decent or good? or would I need to buy something like the FMR audio RNP?
I think they're good. Clean, detailed and accurate with very low noise. I like the MOTU stuff it just works and doesn't get in the way. If you run it from the a MAC the ultralite is bus powered so no wall wart...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:37 pm

Dr. Sound wrote:JS -

a good friend of mine has the metric halo unit you own with an additional metric halo 8 in unit slaved to it..

10 ins of MH quality, plus the 8 in unit has DSP for running their channel strip plug

tiger lets you address both units separately for routing purposes if you want to patch external fx, etc.
Too much extra cash. I'd have to sell my MH unit in order to get the next FW interface. I'd like to stay within the $600-1000 range.