Forget Firewire Mixers... I need a new FW interface with...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Postby JSRockit » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:22 pm

derma_tek wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Well, I got the MOTU Ultralite. It is exactly what I was looking for. It is simple to use, sounds great (even compared to the Metric halo ULN-2), and seems to be built well. Has to be considered one of, if not, the best FW audio interface under $550.

glad to here it worked out for you, and of course the nice thing is if you run into this problem again and you need more inputs, you can just buy another and daisy chain them together :) i'd also highly recommend their midi interfaces as well. i'm running a motu 828 mk2 and a motu microlite , both work seemlessly with logic :)

btw... you still using logic?

Yeah, I'm still running logic express....I'm used to it. The Ultralite has midi as well...but I won't use it unless I need to sample dump or update a synth via midi.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby DGX305 » Sun May 20, 2007 3:30 am

phwb wrote:
DGX305 wrote:try the Tascam FW-1082
i have no issues with it
review: http://www.proaudioreview.com/august05/tascam.shtml
EQ mag: http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=41&storycode=7674
only $600

This is what I've been looking at actually. Glad to hear it's ok.

did you end up getting it or which one?
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100
DGX305

Postby system777 » Sun May 20, 2007 4:35 am

Hi 7 here. I've been going through the same thing as far as finding a new FW interface...I tried a bunch including the Tascam ( which sounded great but the DAW isn't that great ) and if you can afford it go for the 1882 ...I finally settled on the Onyx 400F with a Mackie Universal Control as the "mixer" side of it...Mackie is also comming out with the Onyx 1200 which has 12 pre's ( so great for lots of hardware )... I used a 828 and 828mk2 for a while but they ended up being buggy ( I'm using a Mac setup )...Also and this is a personal issue the power supply would whine after about ten minutes of working which drove me nuts...anyways my 2 cents...

system777

Postby AudiosEnvy » Sun May 20, 2007 4:46 am

The MOTUs, Echos and Focusrites sound amazing for the money. The Mackie's are transparent and sound good enough for most purposes. I am not a big fan of Tascam interfaces. If your wondering I use my D1000 as a foldback mixer only.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]
AudiosEnvy

Postby breitt » Sun May 20, 2007 6:35 am

monk_volcano wrote:buddy of mine has a mackie ONYX. it's friggin sweet.

great sound eq's on it, they kill any software eq's i've used. it's very sturdy as well. i'd buy one if i had the dough.

I own the Mackie Onyx 1620 w/FW--it is indeed, sweet. I got it for a great price--$999 w/the Firewire card thrown in for free-from guitar Center. I know it's too late, JS-but if you change your mind or ever need more inputs or a new mixer--this one fits the bill perfectly.

http://mackie.com/home/showimage.html?u=/products/onyx1620/images/1620_top_lg.jpg
Elektron Analog 4
breitt

Postby KnowGood » Sun May 20, 2007 7:18 am

This is an old thread, but I'm surprised no one mention Apogee's Ensemble. I know it isn't cheap, but it's pretty bang on and works flawlessly on the Apple platform.
KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Postby KnowGood » Sun May 20, 2007 7:19 am

:D
Last edited by KnowGood on Sun May 20, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Postby AudiosEnvy » Sun May 20, 2007 2:13 pm

KnowGood wrote:This is an old thread, but I'm surprised no one mention Apogee's Ensemble. I know it isn't cheap, but it's pretty bang on and works flawlessly on the Apple platform.

Apogee is in a different class all together than the gear mentioned above and an Ensemble would really be the only converters a synth based studio would need. RME also does an amazing job and is a bit cheaper than Apogee in general.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]
AudiosEnvy

Previous

Return to Sound Production